Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tomtom_for_ipad.jpg

TomTom today announced that it has released new universal versions of its turn-by-turn GPS applications, bringing native iPad compatibility for the first time. TomTom offers over two dozen localized GPS apps, which now include an enhanced user interface optimized for the iPad.
The TomTom App for iPhone/iPad, version 1.9, features a new map release - a benefit to users of both Apple devices - with updated roads and points of interest.

With this new release, TomTom has made use of the extra iPad screen size. The full-screen display shows both driving view and advanced lane guidance at the same time. Drivers can also switch to driving view with one touch from anywhere within the App, and can access guidance options in a tap.
With TomTom's existing apps now being universal, current users of the iPhone version can simply download the latest update and install the app on both iPhone and iPad free of charge.

Article Link: TomTom for iOS Gains iPad Compatibility

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
Hopefully it fixes the traffic subscription bug as well! I miss having my traffic since upgrading to iOS5.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Yes! Now we can Airplay/Sharescreen the TomTom app to the 47" tv in my car and call it, "The largest GPS screen in the world"!

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Anyone have any thoughts as to how this compares with the Navigon app? I bought the latter based on the "one app for iPad and iPhone" ideal, as no one else had that feature at the time.

RobDee

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
I really want a good navigatoion app.

I have been hungrily looking at TomTom for some time. Now I have my 4S I can't help but be put off by those car kit horror stories. Will they bring out a 4 car kit without the need for an adaptor?

Also, if I have data roaming switched off abroad, will TomTom still work with GPS only?

I should ask TomTom, of course, but I'm interested in your experiences...

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Also, if I have data roaming switched off abroad, will TomTom still work with GPS only?

Yes, absolutely fine. I've used it when travelling abroad (from the UK to France/Belgium). The traffic updates will only come in if you switch on data roaming obviously, but the GPS is absolutely fine.

RobDee

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
Yes, absolutely fine. I've used it when travelling abroad (from the UK to France/Belgium). The traffic updates will only come in if you switch on data roaming obviously, but the GPS is absolutely fine.

That's great, thanks!

----------

I also want to connect my iPhone to my car radio via Bluetooth. Does this mean I will get all sound, including music, podcasts, traffic directions, and calls going through my car system? And talk to it using a wireless mike?

Rufus T Firefly

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2003
Planet Marx
be careful though, they say that the wifi only iPad will not work without any remote GPS receiver.

*** MORE INFORMATION ***
The TomTom App requires a GPS signal. iPad Wifi + 3G models have an internal GPS. iPad Wifi only models and iPod touch 2nd gen. and higher require an external GPS receiver.

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Motion X GPS is excellent on the iPad and iPhone. Has all the bells and whistles and is MUCH cheaper.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I have been hungrily looking at TomTom for some time. Now I have my 4S I can't help but be put off by those car kit horror stories. Will they bring out a 4 car kit without the need for an adaptor?

Don't even bother with a car kit on the 4 or the 4S. For two big reasons:

- The advantage in GPS accuracy is small to nonexistent with the car kit. The 4 and 4S have updated GPS chipsets that are comparable. The 3G/3GS definitely benefit from the car kit though.
- The car kit's power supply is only 500mA over the dock connection. With certain brightness settings, you will still drain the battery with the car kit. I power mine with a 1A low-profile car charger. Audio goes over Bluetooth to my car stereo (A2DP).

I've been using Magellan and TomTom on both an AT&T and Verizon iPhone 4. No real problems with GPS lock (other than a driver bug on the Verizon iPhone that got fixed with 5.0 for me). Handles multi-path GPS signal errors in downtown areas relatively well. Not perfect, but about as well as my stand-alone TomTom ever did. Never let me down during road trips either except when traffic was a minute or two out of date and I got caught in rush hour just as it was starting around a metropolitan area I wasn't entirely familiar with.

zapnyc

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
New York
OK...now that the GPS app tech has evolved...

Somebody smart can easily create an add-on heads-up projection display for our windshields.... sourced out of the Pad/Phone. Even if it requires reflective panel or magic plastic windshield-size decal.

The future has arrived....

stevet

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Hopefully it fixes the traffic subscription bug as well! I miss having my traffic since upgrading to iOS5.

I don't think it's been broken, sometimes you need to restore it after upgrading the app or OS. To do that go into:

TomTom Shop->Traffic and then select Restore Purchases

Steve

cruisencode

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
I don't think it's been broken, sometimes you need to restore it after upgrading the app or OS. To do that go into:

Steve

That's exactly what has been broken since the release of iOS5. This update is supposed to fix this. They are even compensating existing users for this issue. Here is the quote from TomTom.

Version 1.9 of the TomTom App for iPhone and iPad is now available in the AppStore. The upgrade will fix any compatibility issues which you may have experienced with HD Traffic or Speed Cameras on iOS 5. We apologise for the inconvenience this has caused, and as compensation, we'll extend your current subscription by 30 days. It may take some time for everyone to get their compensation and we will update you by email once the compensation is done.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009

Steve

Yep - that's exactly what was broken. I would type in my username and password over and over, and it would never accept it.

RobDee

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
Don't even bother with a car kit on the 4 or the 4S. For two big reasons:

- The advantage in GPS accuracy is small to nonexistent with the car kit. The 4 and 4S have updated GPS chipsets that are comparable. The 3G/3GS definitely benefit from the car kit though.
- The car kit's power supply is only 500mA over the dock connection. With certain brightness settings, you will still drain the battery with the car kit. I power mine with a 1A low-profile car charger. Audio goes over Bluetooth to my car stereo (A2DP).

I've been using Magellan and TomTom on both an AT&T and Verizon iPhone 4. No real problems with GPS lock (other than a driver bug on the Verizon iPhone that got fixed with 5.0 for me). Handles multi-path GPS signal errors in downtown areas relatively well. Not perfect, but about as well as my stand-alone TomTom ever did. Never let me down during road trips either except when traffic was a minute or two out of date and I got caught in rush hour just as it was starting around a metropolitan area I wasn't entirely familiar with.

Ok, Great stuff. So i just need a basic car kit with charger. Any recommendations?

I also need a wireless mike so I can take calls and talk to Siri.

Last edited:

globality

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Motion X GPS doesn't do routing, so it really isn't that useful for in-car use.

It's a great product, yes - but it's not comparable to an app like Tom Tom.

I think the previous poster was talking about Motion X GPS drive. It is same as other navigation software but works in online mode. I think you can now pre-download the map though. Tried it and did not like its route compared with my Garmin standalone GPS

BulletToothTony

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
I think the previous poster was talking about Motion X GPS drive. It is same as other navigation software but works in online mode. I think you can now pre-download the map though. Tried it and did not like its route compared with my Garmin standalone GPS

I knew i should've bought it when it was $39 $49 seems a bit too much when you can get the whole gps hardware and software for $50, anyone know how to get a $10 credit on that app :D

French River

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
Minnesota, USA
I've been using Magellan and TomTom on both an AT&T and Verizon iPhone 4. No real problems with GPS lock (other than a driver bug on the Verizon iPhone that got fixed with 5.0 for me).

So that's what happened with the Verizon iPhone 4's GPS issue. For months, GPS was virtually usless on my Verizon iPhone 4. I took it to Apple twice -- the first time they exchanged it, the second time a Genius told me it was because Verizon's 3G network couldn't download data fast enough (wrong, of course). After the 5.0 iOS update, GPS works like it should. Glad I decided not to spring for the TomTom car kit.

I just returned from travels in Switzerland, France and Germany, where I used TomTom GPS on my iPhone 4 extensively (cellular data turned off) in both driving and walking modes. Worked very well.

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL

I should ask TomTom, of course, but I'm interested in your experiences...

I'm not sure what the car kit horror stories are, but I saw this car mount that looks pretty nice. I might just get it for Christmas since it looks fairly attractive for a car mount.

RobDee

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
I'm not sure what the car kit horror stories are, but I saw this car mount that looks pretty nice. I might just get it for Christmas since it looks fairly attractive for a car mount.

Looks quite nice. I would rather something with a charger though!

----------

The horror stories relate to the phone mount not initiating Bluetooth (with iPhone 4) to use with the car kit properly.

Last edited:

French River

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
Minnesota, USA
I use this air vent mount:

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-IPM129-...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319219455&sr=1-20

with this:

http://www.amazon.com/GTMax-Charger...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319218934&sr=1-19

and this:

http://www.amazon.com/Charge-Cable-...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319219052&sr=1-2

for power in the car. Nothing fancy, but it’s cheap and it works.

I use an air vent mount because Minnesota is one of two states where it's illegal to have anything mounted on the windshield. But actually, I think I prefer not having stuff stuck on the windshield.

RobDee

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
I use this air vent mount:

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-IPM129-...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319219455&sr=1-20

with this:

http://www.amazon.com/GTMax-Charger...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319218934&sr=1-19

and this:

http://www.amazon.com/Charge-Cable-...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319219052&sr=1-2

for power in the car. Nothing fancy, but it’s cheap and it works.

I use an air vent mount because Minnesota is one of two states where it's illegal to have anything mounted on the windshield. But actually, I think I prefer not having stuff stuck on the windshield.

I'm looking for something with a built-in charger...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.