Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:40 AM   #1
munders
macrumors newbie

Can I connect apple tv to my imac wirelessly

Here's my problem. At present my apple TV is connected to my Tv via my wireless home network internet router which is nowhere near my apple TV. The signal strength is quite poor and it takes ages to buffer. My wireless router is only g rated and obviously a new n router should sort out the issue however, I thought before I go out and buy a new router I thought I'd ask first if it is possible to just connect my apple TV wirelessly to my Imac. Obviously not using my home network which just isn't powerful enough. If it's possible, please tell me how.
munders is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:46 AM   #2
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Yes. Assuming that your iMac is connected via wired network to your router. You'd share the internet connection from your iMac to the Apple TV. Enable Internet Sharing and set it to share your Ethernet connection to Wifi/Airport. Then set the network settings on the iMac, and connect to that network via the Apple Tv.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:46 PM   #3
munders
macrumors newbie

unfortunately, I cannot connect my mac to the router with the ethernet cable because my imac is in a different room to that of my router.

surely there must be another way around it. What if I was in some remote area of the world where there was no internet. If all i have is an Imac and an apple tv, they must be capable of being connected wirelessly ?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Bernard SG
macrumors 65816

Try buying an Airport Express? It's only 99 bucks and there are even more affordable used ones on eBay.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:58 PM   #5
munders
macrumors newbie

I already have an Airport Express upstairs which i use for my music. I have gone through the settings to extend the wireless network for that but as it's upstairs it doesn't service my apple Tv that well. I only get 3 bars on the signal strength. Do you have a suggestion to incorporate the airport extreme.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:14 PM   #6
jsm4182
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to jsm4182
Quote:
Originally Posted by munders View Post
unfortunately, I cannot connect my mac to the router with the ethernet cable because my imac is in a different room to that of my router.

surely there must be another way around it. What if I was in some remote area of the world where there was no internet. If all i have is an Imac and an apple tv, they must be capable of being connected wirelessly ?
The iMac and AppleTV can be connected wirelessly using the iMac to create a wireless network, but the iMac must have a wired internet connection for the iMac and AppleTV to have any internet connectivity.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:17 PM   #7
bjett92
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjett92
You can only connect to one device using WiFi on the iMac, so if you are connected to the router wirelessly, you cannot share the connection from your iMac wirelessly. However, if you are connected over ethernet, you can use the WiFi to share that ethernet connection wirelessly. It only works one way, either it is receiving the connection, or sending the connection.
bjett92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:19 PM   #8
blueroom
macrumors 603

Get a simultaneous dual band router and use the 5GHz for the ATV2 & Mac.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater