Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flatlineskillz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Hey everyone:

So my iphone 4 crapped out on me yesterday and I took it to the apple store. They said it shorted out and offered to do an out of warranty replacement for $150. I told them I wanted to get in touch with squaretrade first. I contacted squaretrade and filed a claim. It was accepted and they sent me an e-mail to tell me a new phone was on its way. That sounded strange because they dont keep iphone 4 stock on hand. I called them and they told me that the e-mail was a mistake and that they would reimburse me for the cost of the apple replacement with no deductible. I was my understanding that if they cannot fix it that they are to give me a check for the cost of a new phone off contract. They said that since apple instituted the newer replacement program that it worked better for their customer and them to just reimburse replacements through apple rather then pay out the cost of a replacement phone.

Has anyone dealt with squaretrade before. I can upgrade to a 4S on Nov 1st. I am wondering if there is some way I can parley this into an upgrade to a 4S. Anyone dealt with apple in the past? I know there are stories of them going above and beyond to make customers happy. Any ideas as to what I should do? I got a genius bar appointment at 6:10 after work.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Apples not going to give you a 4S, if anything they would give you a refurbed 4. They are selling all the 4S's they can so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

What exactly is Squaretrade trying to do? I am a little consfused. I was always under the assumption they just sent you a check for the retail replacement cost. Are they now saying they are going to pay Apple directly? If it is the former just take the check and get a 4S. Since Apple isn't making the 16GB iPhone 4 anymore they have to give the same price of the 4S anyways. Just take the money and get a 4S and then save your upgrade for a 5 next year. That option actually works out very very well so I hope you can do it that way.

Flatlineskillz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Squaretrade told me that since apple introduced the $150 replacement program that it was in their customers (IE Squaretrades) best interest to just reimburse people for the cost of replacement and continue the warranty coverage on the replaced iphone till the warranty expires. They waive the deductible as well. Basically I walked out of the apple store with a refurbished iphone 4 in pristine condition and will be reimbursed the cost from squaretrade. If i had purchased a new iphone 4s i would have had to buy a new warranty. I am going to wait till Nov. 1st, sell it on craigslist with the included warranty and buy a 4S.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Squaretrade told me that since apple introduced the $150 replacement program that it was in their customers (IE Squaretrades) best interest to just reimburse people for the cost of replacement and continue the warranty coverage on the replaced iphone till the warranty expires. They waive the deductible as well. Basically I walked out of the apple store with a refurbished iphone 4 in pristine condition and will be reimbursed the cost from squaretrade. If i had purchased a new iphone 4s i would have had to buy a new warranty. I am going to wait till Nov. 1st, sell it on craigslist with the included warranty and buy a 4S.

Sounds fair enough. Can't really complain, they are doing what they promised too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.