Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:03 PM   #1
yani2k8
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to yani2k8
Question The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported

Hello

My friend purchased his iPhone 4 from abroad, where he was able to use it without any problems. Granted, he was using a turbo SIM and had to turn on and off airplane mode each time the phone booted but aside from that it was fine.

He's in the UK now and we've tried to upgrade the software to iOS5. It installed fine but it refuses it activate.

The following appears both on the iPhone and on iTunes:

"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

Only compatible SIM cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card."

So, clearly the phone is barred and that is why it is refusing to work with various SIM cards.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Can we downgrade back to iOS4? Or is there a way to activate the device without a SIM card?

Thanks in advance!
yani2k8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:08 PM   #2
dotme
macrumors 6502a

Phone is locked to a carrier. Unless that carrier it's locked to unlocks it, it's going to be extremely difficult to get around that message.
dotme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:13 PM   #3
yani2k8
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotme View Post
Phone is locked to a carrier. Unless that carrier it's locked to unlocks it, it's going to be extremely difficult to get around that message.
I reckon it might be barred, not just locked. Is it possible though?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:18 PM   #4
outie2k
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yani2k8 View Post
I reckon it might be barred, not just locked. Is it possible though?
The phone is carrier-locked. You most likely have to wait for a new turbosim-like product to come out for iOS 5 with the new baseband firmware. It's too late to downgrade iOS/baseband now since Apple has stopped signing the old versions. It was still possible a week or 2 ago.
outie2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:20 PM   #5
yani2k8
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outie2k View Post
The phone is carrier-locked. You most likely have to wait for a new turbosim-like product to come out for iOS 5 with the new baseband firmware. It's too late to downgrade iOS/baseband now since Apple has stopped signing the old versions. It was still possible a week or 2 ago.
So there is no way around this? The phone is bricked for now?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:27 PM   #6
cass216
macrumors newbie

Similar problem

My friend has an Iphone 3gs that was given to her from a friend of her's that lives in the US. The original carrier was AT&T. She had it switched over to Rogers. I was updating to IOS 5 software for her last night and everything went fine until the activation screen where it gave her a message saying something about the SIM not being valid. Her phone will not work at all now. Anybody know how to fix this? It's extremly frustrating.
cass216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:45 PM   #7
satchow
macrumors 6502

iOS 5 Beta 7 (I think) fixed whatever GeveySim or TurboSim was using to unlock the phone. Either downgrade or wait until they figure something out.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:47 PM   #8
outie2k
macrumors regular

Quote:
So there is no way around this? The phone is bricked for now?
If you know what carrier it belongs to, you can get that sim card and activate the phone so at the very least you can use the phone w/o signal. Other than that, it is indeed bricked for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchow View Post
iOS 5 Beta 7 (I think) fixed whatever GeveySim or TurboSim was using to unlock the phone. Either downgrade or wait until they figure something out.
You can't downgrade the baseband (the cause of this issue) any more.
outie2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:58 PM   #9
satchow
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by outie2k View Post
You can't downgrade the baseband (the cause of this issue) any more.
Oh okay, I thought the exploit was in iOS and not the baseband.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:08 PM   #10
sou1 so1di3r
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to sou1 so1di3r
OP- sounds like you were using a GEVEY SIM to connect.

You upgraded to iOS5, which was a bad move because the baseband that comes with iOS 5 doesn't work with the Gevey SIM anymore.

There is a way around this, I'm not sure if it works if you already updated via apple (maybe someone can confirm this) but you could at least try it. I am using my AT&T iPhone 4 with O2 (actually giffgaff) using gevey SIM and iOS 5.. works great

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...382&highlight=

For the person with the 3GS in Canada... how did you have the phone "switched over"?

Noone can UNLOCK AT&T phones as far as I know without jail breaking. If you device was jailbroken and you updated the OS, then you are out of luck.

Maybe you just need to put in an AT&T SIM to get past the setup part? Idk, sounds like you are screwed.

Besides, 3GS is a little dated now anyway, treat yourself to a 4 or 4S
sou1 so1di3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 04:00 PM   #11
yani2k8
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou1 so1di3r View Post
OP- sounds like you were using a GEVEY SIM to connect.

You upgraded to iOS5, which was a bad move because the baseband that comes with iOS 5 doesn't work with the Gevey SIM anymore.

There is a way around this, I'm not sure if it works if you already updated via apple (maybe someone can confirm this) but you could at least try it. I am using my AT&T iPhone 4 with O2 (actually giffgaff) using gevey SIM and iOS 5.. works great

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...382&highlight=

For the person with the 3GS in Canada... how did you have the phone "switched over"?

Noone can UNLOCK AT&T phones as far as I know without jail breaking. If you device was jailbroken and you updated the OS, then you are out of luck.

Maybe you just need to put in an AT&T SIM to get past the setup part? Idk, sounds like you are screwed.

Besides, 3GS is a little dated now anyway, treat yourself to a 4 or 4S

Thanks soul soldier. Yes, it is indeed a Gevey sim.

I will try this as soon as the ispw downloads (slow internet).

Also, do you reckon this will work for my situation?

http://www.iphone4jailbreak.org/foru...-on-ios-5.html

----------

Also, how can I find out what network the phone is locked to?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:28 PM   #12
sou1 so1di3r
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to sou1 so1di3r
Quote:
Thanks soul soldier. Yes, it is indeed a Gevey sim.

I will try this as soon as the ispw downloads (slow internet).

Also, do you reckon this will work for my situation?

http://www.iphone4jailbreak.org/foru...-on-ios-5.html

----------

Also, how can I find out what network the phone is locked to?
I don't know if that will work. You could try. If you are going to try my method posted however make sure you follow the steps exactly.

As for finding out what network your phone is locked too... I literally have no idea if you don't know where it was originally purchased. For the method I posted to work I believe you have to have the original carriers SIM for initial activation as well.
sou1 so1di3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:23 AM   #13
chrisperro
macrumors 6502

you have to jailbreak to pass the activation screen but it will be an iPod touch till the unlocked comes out.
chrisperro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2012, 02:24 PM   #14
dirgardare
macrumors newbie

Angry Frustrating

I have an iPhone 3GS bought in Sweden late 2009. I've been updating it with new software every time something new was released and I've had no problems (except that it became extremely slow after iOS5).

But after I made a complete reset using iTunes I get the message: "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported."

I'm using the same SIM-card I had before the reset.

After reading on a lot of forums and sites it seems that I need a SIM-card from AT&T (in the f*c*ing US). How come Apple can do something this stupid?

I've also read that I can jailbreak my phone, but a lot of hacktivation pages states that iPhones bought it late 2009 most likely have a newer rom or whatever it's called, and cannot be jailbroken.

All I wanted was a clean fresh start with my iPhone and I got this...

Any suggestions?
dirgardare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2012, 06:04 PM   #15
Bilalo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hello

My friend purchased his iPhone 4 from abroad, where he was able to use it without any problems. Granted, he was using a turbo SIM and had to turn on and off airplane mode each time the phone booted but aside from that it was fine.

He's in the UK now and we've tried to upgrade the software to iOS5. It installed fine but it refuses it activate.

The following appears both on the iPhone and on iTunes:

"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

Only compatible SIM cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card."

So, clearly the phone is barred and that is why it is refusing to work with various SIM cards.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Can we downgrade back to iOS4? Or is there a way to activate the device without a SIM card?

Thanks in advance!
Jailbreak the phone to remove carrier locks then restore it back to normal, if im not wrong that works
Bilalo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:55 AM   #16
kars.karthik
macrumors newbie

i have same problem does factory unlock solve my problem??
kars.karthik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:57 AM   #17
SenseiPhone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kars.karthik View Post
i have same problem does factory unlock solve my problem??
Yes, factory unlock solves "Only compatibles SIM cards" activation screen.
Moreover, you can use any SIM with you iPhone.

Last edited by SenseiPhone; Nov 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
SenseiPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier