Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:56 PM   #1
TJC747
macrumors member

Does AppleCare replace cracked screens?

I'm sure this has been asked before but I bought my iPhone 4 last February - just dropped it and the screen is completely cracked. I bought the AppleCare when I bought my phone - can I go to the apple store tomorrow and ask for it to be replaced or at least fixed? thanks guys

my friend told me sometimes they'll do it - if i act nice you think they will lol?
TJC747 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:21 PM   #2
alphaod
macrumors Core

No AppleCare doesn't cover cracked screens. The normal charge is $200 for the cracked screen replacement.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:57 PM   #3
ijohnbro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
No AppleCare doesn't cover cracked screens. The normal charge is $200 for the cracked screen replacement.
So what good is AppleCare?
ijohnbro is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Jasonx82
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijohnbro View Post
Repair of any defect not caused by the user for an additional year?

Jasonx82 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:15 PM   #5
bjett92
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjett92
Applecare fixes problems caused by a manufacturing defect, not accidental damage by the user.

Save yourself the money if you are tech savvy enough and do the repair yourself. http://www.directfix.com/product/IP-...l#.TqIm5ig4_d4
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:16 PM   #6
tablo13
macrumors 65816

Yes they usually replace it for free if you tell them what actually happened
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:54 PM   #7
DerekTS
macrumors regular

AppleCare+ will cover it for a $50 fee, but the regular AppleCare will not cover it.
DerekTS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:59 PM   #8
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjett92 View Post
Applecare fixes problems caused by a manufacturing defect, not accidental damage by the user.

Save yourself the money if you are tech savvy enough and do the repair yourself. http://www.directfix.com/product/IP-...l#.TqIm5ig4_d4
The repair is really hard if you have no prior experience, I would just pay the $200 replacement fee and forget about it.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:00 PM   #9
AbyssImpact
macrumors 6502a

An Apple employee told me that Applecare covers 3 accidents that will cost you $50 instead of $150+ without applecare.
AbyssImpact is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:00 PM   #10
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
It's an extended warranty, not insurance. If you want insurance get insurance. If you want the additional coverage of Applecare+ then get Applecare+.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:00 PM   #11
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
It's like car warranty, it only covers defects, not accidents.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:00 PM   #12
bjett92
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjett92
Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
The repair is really hard if you have no prior experience, I would just pay the $200 replacement fee and forget about it.
I guess I should have said that. It's not worth breaking your phone even more attempting to fix it yourself. Just a suggestion if you are experienced enough.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:08 PM   #13
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssImpact View Post
An Apple employee told me that Applecare covers 3 accidents that will cost you $50 instead of $150+ without applecare.
Not sure where that Apple employee got his/her information, but that's not true. Applecare+ will cover 2 accidental damage incidents at $50 each. Regular Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage at all. Applecare+ wasn't available for the iPhone 4 until the iPhone 4S was released, so the OP has regular Applecare.

It's possible that you'll get a very nice Genius to fix it for you, but I wouldn't count on it. It sounds like that kind of stuff is supposed to be ending now that Applecare+ is around.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:30 PM   #14
ijohnbro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonx82 View Post
Repair of any defect not caused by the user for an additional year?

my HTC thunderbolt comes with a 1 year warranty and verizon will send me a phone free of charge if I have any problems. I thought all phones have the 1 year warranty included automatically? Samsung does also. oh an additional year I follow what you're saying now. I'd just get a case for the phone, be cheaper.

----------

Apple told me once they only have 90 days of free phone support so he couldn't talk to me because it's been more than 90 days. I was trying to explain what was wrong with my phone and he kept saying " sir your customer support has ran out"

The thing I don't get is the phone has a 1 year warranty from all defects, but wouldn't it make sense to have phone support for 1 year also? so they can troubleshoot and maybe fix it over the phone???? How do you send your phone in if you cannot talk to them first???????? Pretty stupid
ijohnbro is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:43 PM   #15
Macguy76
macrumors regular

AppleCare does replace cracked screen as long as the crack came from the inside of the screen. If they find an impact point, on the outside of the screen, it's considered an accident and it's not covered as a manufactures defect.
 Unlocked iPhone 5S-64GB
Macguy76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 01:05 PM   #16
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
my HTC thunderbolt comes with a 1 year warranty and verizon will send me a phone free of charge if I have any problems. I thought all phones have the 1 year warranty included automatically? Samsung does also. oh an additional year I follow what you're saying now. I'd just get a case for the phone, be cheaper.

----------

Apple told me once they only have 90 days of free phone support so he couldn't talk to me because it's been more than 90 days. I was trying to explain what was wrong with my phone and he kept saying " sir your customer support has ran out"

The thing I don't get is the phone has a 1 year warranty from all defects, but wouldn't it make sense to have phone support for 1 year also? so they can troubleshoot and maybe fix it over the phone???? How do you send your phone in if you cannot talk to them first???????? Pretty stupid
Talking to customer service about needing to send your phone in for repair is different than talking to tech support about how to fix something. If you have a problem after your 90 days of phone support is up, you either go to an Apple Store to see a genius or call customer service and see how to send it in for repair.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:00 PM   #17
ijohnbro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
It's like car warranty, it only covers defects, not accidents.
understand, but this is hardly a car. It's a phone. Probably better off just getting the insurance and why waste money on a warranty? The insurance covers any accident. The phone being defective beyond one year is more than likely not going to happen. If turns out to be a defect then take the phone and slam it on the ground, ok now it's an insurance claim.
ijohnbro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:08 PM   #18
aneftp
macrumors 68040

If you aren't tech savvy, most of the local Craigslist guys will repair your iPhone 4 glass for between $50-70. And they will do it in less than 30 minutes.

Just go on Craigslist and type iPhone 4 glass repair. Many of these guys are good at what they do. They work in the back of a local cell phone shop. So it's like a side business for them.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone