Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdpardue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Sacramento, California
well this may or may not make any sense, but does the ibook have a hidden pcmcia slot in the for of it's airport express slot? I have a g3 ibook without an airport card (airport ready), and have been loking around. Using the airport express card's model number provide on the apple site, i did a quick google and ended up on an amazon page (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005RD8T/103-6884757-0418267?v=glance) that looked rather uninformitve untill i looked at the product details and it states that the card is "easy plug an play pcmcia"... does that mean that under the keyboard there is a pcmcia card waiting to be filled???

Again, sorry if this is just plain rediculous, but i don't have any pcmcia cards of any kind lying around and thought that if I could buy a cheaper card that is pcmcia and shove it in there, I could, well save money.

Thanks

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Under the keyboard is an airport-only slot waiting to be filled. You would not be able to put anything else in there.

The other thing you should know is that probably a year ago Apple pretty much stopped making the Airport cards in favor of the Airport extreme cards (that your computer cannot use). If you wanted to add wireless to your iBook, you could probably find an Airport card used, but you might be hard-pressed to find a new one.

pdpardue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Sacramento, California
airport

That is why i was looking for an airport card, hoping that someone else might still have one in stock. Even a third part compatable airport type card will suffice. anyone have any thoughts? ebay seems like an overcharging bloated website these days.

thanks

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
pdpardue said:
That is why i was looking for an airport card, hoping that someone else might still have one in stock. Even a third part compatable airport type card will suffice. anyone have any thoughts? ebay seems like an overcharging bloated website these days.

thanks

There are no third-party ones that will help.
I found mine for $79 on the interweb.
http://lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/featured.cgi?group=air
they have it for $78. One dollar savings!! :D

pdpardue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Sacramento, California
airport

Well, I am definitly looking to not spend over $100 from smalldog, and ebay is baren of anything other then the base stations. Anybody have one they would want to sell, or anyone adventurous enough to try using a standard pcmcia card rather then the apple airport card presupposing that you have one? Anybody want to get rid of a functional airport card for cheap? I would be willing to take the lowest bidder.

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
pdpardue said:
Well, I am definitly looking to not spend over $100 from smalldog, and ebay is baren of anything other then the base stations. Anybody have one they would want to sell, or anyone adventurous enough to try using a standard pcmcia card rather then the apple airport card presupposing that you have one? Anybody want to get rid of a functional airport card for cheap? I would be willing to take the lowest bidder.

I'm confused why you aren't satisfied with the poster who recommended lacomputercompany.com... they seem to have what you want for the price you are interested in. Beyond that, I do recall reading somewhere that the Airport card is simply a third party card repackaged and I believe some people were insinuating that you could use that third party card in place of Airport. I don't remember where I saw that, but if the previously mentioned sites don't work, you might be able to find some info somewhere.

pdpardue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Sacramento, California
airport

mkrishnan said:
Also, when you say eBay is barren, did you actually look?

Sorry, but it turns out that searching for airport express card for the most part drops the card and flag more of the base stations then anything else. I found this out a day or so after my last post. Also, $78/79 is close enough to $100 to be out of my budget... Especially since I can get a usb adapter for less than $50.

I was just hoping that I could find a used out of date product for less then a brand new faster extreme card... maybe I am missing on trying to present my point, I don't see spending $78 on a card where a new faster (though in this case, incompatable) card is only $79. That is what I ment by ebay being bloated and overpriced.

As for the one link the lacomputers, for some reason, I must have read past that one.

Still looking for help, trust me when I say that I am a starving student, and every dollar counts.

Thanks
Paul

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
Airport Alternative

You can get a working Airport Card in your internal airport slot quite easy and dead cheap: Try to get a Lucent Wavelan Card Silver, pry of all the casing, put it into your iBook, connect antenna, done.

Lucent Wavelan Silver Card should not exceed US$20,-.

Pictures to be found here: http://faddh.dyndns.org/lucent/

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Careful with the WaveLANs

While the old Lucent WaveLAN cards are the same chips as an Apple AirPort card, I'd be wary of trying to cram one of those into an iBook. The newer iBooks are even more tight inside than the clamshell shown in that picture. Besides, the website only says "usable... I think..." That doesn't sound too promising.

From what I recall, the original AirPort cards (and their sockets,) use modified PCMCIA (PC Card) connections. Regular PC Cards will not work in the socket, and an AirPort card will not identify itself in a PC Card socket.

Likewise, AirPort Express uses a modified mini-PCI connector. mini-PCI cards are meant to be internal-only notebook expansion cards, and are used for network cards, wireless, and modems in PC notebooks. Again, to my knowledge, the implementation in Apple's products is specific to AirPort Express cards. (So even if you found a third-party mini-PCI 802.11g card for sale, it wouldn't work in your shiny new PowerBook.)

The other thing to note from the above is that AirPort and AirPort Express are two completely different beasts, card-wise. They are *NOT* compatible. There is no possible way to cram one into the socket for the other.

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
It´s perfectly usable, ...

... those are my personal modifications and pictures on mine and my girlfriend´s machines which are still in heavy use. I added another picture: http://faddh.dyndns.org/lucent/

Right now I am using the dual usb ibook with the lucent wavelan inside the airport slot. It also works with the clamshell, only the keyboard is slighlty more bend, but otherwise everything is behaving accordingly. The minimal moved up keyboard in the dual usb iBook is hardly noticable.

I used a Lucent Wavelan Silver Card coming from a broken (internal power supply) Airport Graphite Basestation, which via the OS 9 Aiport 2.0.2 update was turned into a 128bit Lucent Wavelan Gold Card.

It´s definitely the cheapest way and most compatible one, too, to outfit old g3 based iBooks with Airport networking. All original Airport Cards were basically Lucent Wavelan Cards, inlcuding the Aiport Graphite Basestation.

I never talked about Airport Extreme. There – for older ethernet 100mbit equipped computers – you can take a Linksys WET54 ethernet wlan adapter to get 54mbit wlan/airport express networking.

But you need a bit of courage to open up the card firsthand, that´s true, and not be scared too much. It´s not difficult at all.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
giffut said:
... those are my personal modifications and pictures on mine and my girlfriend´s machines which are still in heavy use. I added another picture: http://faddh.dyndns.org/lucent/

Right now I am using the dual usb ibook with the lucent wavelan inside the airport slot. It also works with the clamshell, only the keyboard is slighlty more bend, but otherwise everything is behaving accordingly. The minimal moved up keyboard in the dual usb iBook is hardly noticable.
Ah. I thought you just randomly found that page. Well, then, I guess it does work. I may have to try it now.

giffut said:
I used a Lucent Wavelan Silver Card coming from a broken (internal power supply) Airport Graphite Basestation, which via the OS 9 Aiport 2.0.2 update was turned into a 128bit Lucent Wavelan Gold Card.

It´s definitely the cheapest way and most compatible one, too, to outfit old g3 based iBooks with Airport networking. All original Airport Cards were basically Lucent Wavelan Cards, inlcuding the Aiport Graphite Basestation.

heh. I have the same card, for the same reason! I also have a WaveLAN Gold that was bought for my PeeCee notebook back in the day. (Since that was the only card available at the time.)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Also watch your card names and what you are searching for

The G3 iBook takes the "Airport" Card
The G4 iBook takes the "Airport Extreme" card
you cannot substitute one for the other, they are physically incompatible.

The "Airport Express" on the other hand is a wireless router that plugs into an AC socket.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Crammed a WaveLAN into an iMac.

Well, I succeeded. After some careful movements, I managed to get a WaveLAN Gold card to fit into the AirPort slot of a slot-load iMac. The antenna sticks out way farther than a real AirPort card, so it's at a bit of an angle, just barely clearing the DIMM socket, but it works just fine. Tiger detects it as a standard AirPort card, and it connects to my AirPort Extreme base station just fine.

jcbazemore

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2005
wavelan question

This may be an absurd question, but do you have to take the entire card apart to fit it into the ibook or can you just remove the plastic tip of it? I've been looking for an affordable alternative for a while and the only one I've found that seems to be perfect is the Sony PCWA-C150S and that's almost impossible to find now. I'm considering modifying another card like this one but I have never done it before.

Thanks.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
TO:
jcbazemore
macrumors newbie

This is my second thread of the night that has confused me because newbies have reopened ancient threads. Very confusing, if interesting.

jcbazemore

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2005
sorry to confuse but this is the most recent thread I've been able to find around the net, based on last post date, dealing with this topic. I'm relatively new to Mac's and would like to make my Ibook wireless without breaking the bank on an airport card if possible.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
It appears that per the directions you take the entire case off the card, and slide it into place. Just make sure it cannot ground on anything..

i am sure you can google this topic and find more information on the "Lucent Wavelan" cards.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
To fit it in my iMac, which has lots of empty air around where the AirPort card goes, I just removed the plastic antenna cover. Note that unlike the AirPort card, the WaveLAN cards have circuit board that is longer than the PC Card slot length. (i.e. there was circuit board under the entire plastic cover.) This means that the WaveLAN card, even with all of its cover removed, is longer than an AirPort card.

Check giffut's page for how to make it work in an iBook.

jschmit

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2006
Wavelan card iBook installation

First off I want to thank Giffut for the pics and helpful instructions. I would have never realized you could do this. I purchased a Wavelan card on eBay for $16 (including shipping!) about a month ago. Cracked open the card and inserted it in the iBook. It's been working like a champ ever since. The keyboard bulge is pronounced. I'm leary of closing the display, especially since that will cause the raised part of the keyboard to press against the display. If I needed to carry it around a lot I'd probably just insert something where the top meets the keyboard rest to keep it from closing all the way. But the point is that this "hack" works great and is amazingly cheap.

jerosta

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2006
Houston
Airport Alternative iMac

Thank you all so much for the info about the Lucent Wavelan cards. I just installed a Wavelan Silver Turbo in my iMac G4/800 Flat Panel, and it is working fine. It shows up as an Airport Card and is interfacing with my Airport Express base station. I did have one problem, though. After cracking open the Wavelan Silver card and inserting it into the iMac, the antenna was not long enought to connect to the card due to the card length. I got around this cutting the antenna two inches above its termination and then splicing two inches of wire into it as an extension. This took me a little while because the antenna wire has a very tine core and a wire mesh shielding that are both on the small side. I assumed that the shielding was connected to ground, so I not only splice the core but also the shielding. $25 and 2 hours (I am not that good at soldering).

irezfilms

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
Ibook G3 IBM High Rate PCI Card

Hey guys, I used the instructions here...

http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/662/diy-airport-for-that-old-ibook

on my ibook G3 800mhz with osx 10.3.9 and was able to use an IBM High Rate 128 card as an Airport Card. It was actually pretty easy and worked because the IBM High Rate card has a Lucent Chipset same as the Airport card and same as the Lucent Wavelan Silver card. I just pluged it in and powered on. It told ma there was a new airport card installed and uses all the original mac osx airport software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.