Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
I took a picture today that seems to have completely messed up both my camera roll and photo stream on the iPhone. It "ate up" like ten pictures taken before this picture, and none of the pictures that I've taken afterwards show. These pictures doesn't show up in the photo stream either, despite those taken before that were eaten up showed... They show in the photo stream on my mac and the iPad.

But, since there seems to be a problem on the iPhone I'd like to restore it. But I can't seem to find a way to do it without connecting it to a computer and restoring it via iTunes. I thought iOS 5 would make the iDevices "PC free". Apparently not. Or am I missing something?

tl;dr: how do you restore an iPhone via iCloud without using a computer?

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Back up to iCloud and then Reset the data and settings on your device. Upon reboot it will ask to setup the device like the first time and give an option to restore from iCloud Backup. Works pretty fast. All Apps will begin to re-download as well. Just music and movies will not restore if they were sync'd from the Computer.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
better idea...

double tap your home button, kill all the apps there. Shut down your phone. Turn it back on. Probably will solve your problem.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
Back up to iCloud and then Reset the data and settings on your device. Upon reboot it will ask to setup the device like the first time and give an option to restore from iCloud Backup. Works pretty fast. All Apps will begin to re-download as well. Just music and movies will not restore if they were sync'd from the Computer.
I don't know why I didn't manage to find that sub-menu yesterday... Thanks :)

better idea...

double tap your home button, kill all the apps there. Shut down your phone. Turn it back on. Probably will solve your problem.
Have you met anyone who thinks of restoring before trying to reboot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.