Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I own this iPod Touch for almost a year by now (bought it last December) and my experience has been mostly good.

But now I'm thinking about switch to iPhone, most likely the new 4S. But I'd like some opinions from you first.

How different is your experience when you play around with iPod Touch vs iPhone4 or even 4s? I feel on some occasions my iPod is a bit sluggish. I have around 80apps installed (no JB here) .. Even sliding on home screen or pinching on Safari can be a bit annoying due to sluggishness.

So ... Does iPhone 4/4s is much much more responsive than iPod Touch? I only have some chance to play it on local reseller. I felt iPhone was more responsive and quick. But then again that iPhone has no additional apps. How if iPhone has many apps in it? Will it sluggish too?

And please compare tok about battery life? Does iPhone's battery stands much longer? And also display quality, does IPS panel on iPhone looks noticeably better than iPod? Even when viewed in axis?

Thank you for your time and opinion. :)

Regards

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I like holding the iPhone more, the touch is pretty thin, which makes it a little hard to hold sometimes. The uniformity of the iPhone is more appealing. But the iPod touch is better in my pocket, it take's up a noticeably less space.

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
I don't currently have an iPhone but I do have an iPad 2 which has the same specs as the iPhone 4S. Compared to my iPod (current gen) the speed is definitely noticeable for me. Things are much faster and smooth on the iPad.

The thing I'd do would definitely be going to a store and using both devices side by side. It's a lot easier to see the differences this way.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I don't currently have an iPhone but I do have an iPad 2 which has the same specs as the iPhone 4S. Compared to my iPod (current gen) the speed is definitely noticeable for me. Things are much faster and smooth on the iPad.

The thing I'd do would definitely be going to a store and using both devices side by side. It's a lot easier to see the differences this way.

Thank you :) well I tried iPhone in-store and like I said, even iPhone 4 feels noticeably faster. Problem is those shiny new iPhones are empty with no apps installed. So I'd like to know how the real life usage of iPhones, after having many apps come and go, having a lot of contacts/mail/mesages and phone call loga contained.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
The iPod Touch isn't that slow really. Honestly, I think it's a very competent device, and I think the entry level price on it is amazing.

In a little case, you can add a bit of thickness to get a better grip.

The only real downside is probably the camera compared to the phones.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
The iPod feels like a toy in comparison to the iPhone.
Yes I said it.

I don't know how or why. The iPhone just feels noticeably of more quality.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
The iPod Touch is significantly thinner than the iPhone, which is great when its in your pocket, but I have to agree with the above posters: Holding the thicker iPhone 4/4S is nicer.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
add a silicone case and it feels great. Also its fast, the A4 chip isn't that slow but the A5 is faster. I really don't care if my games take longer to load or something. BE PATIENT. If your having problems with RAM you can just get the memory booster hd app for $0.99 in the app store. it helps to speed it up.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
iPhone will generally be faster in loading more apps especially if there is 80+ due to double the ram.

The IPS display is spectacular, whenever I look at the ipod from an angle the blue glow rises from it, none of this with an iPhone.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011

Actually, the iPad 2 has a slight difference compared to the iPhone 4S. The iPad 2's processor is clocked at the full 1 GHz, while the iPhone 4S is only underclocked to 800 MHz. Therefore, the iPad 2 has a bit more power.

----------

BE PATIENT.

I wish. Society runs on seconds now. Eventually, milliseconds are going to be worth everyone's time. Everything needs to be quick. I have a feeling that patience and technology aren't going to play nicely with each other anymore.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
The iPod touch has only 256 Mb of RAM, so it's actually less powerful than iPhone 4 (with 512). Compared to the 4S, it's going to be a world apart.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
The iPod feels like a toy in comparison to the iPhone.
Yes I said it.

I don't know how or why. The iPhone just feels noticeably of more quality.

This. And it's kind of true.

The Touch is a great device, but when all is said and done, the iPhone blows it out of the water. It's more robust, it does more, and in my opinion it's quite a bit more stylish.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Why even ask this question? They are two completely different devices. OMG!

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I have had the iPod you have, an iPhone 4 and now a 4S. As someone said, the processing power and speed is a world apart although if you're getting a 16GB iPhone and you have it rammed with things, it may slow things down. My experience has always been on the 32GB machines and the 4S is significantly faster. The iPod was not so bad compared to the iPhone 4 BUT it all depends o what you use it for. Buy a 4S. You won't regret it

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I have had the iPod you have, an iPhone 4 and now a 4S. As someone said, the processing power and speed is a world apart although if you're getting a 16GB iPhone and you have it rammed with things, it may slow things down. My experience has always been on the 32GB machines and the 4S is significantly faster. The iPod was not so bad compared to the iPhone 4 BUT it all depends o what you use it for. Buy a 4S. You won't regret it

Yeah dude, they truly are worlds apart in terms of speed. 4G Touch feels very sluggish compared to the 4s.

jzhua2

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2012
Australia
Hi,

I currently own the iPhone 4s 16 GB model, I have 107 apps(52 of those are games) , 327 photos taken with HDR, 17 HD videos and it does not lag in anyways, the startup time is around 25 seconds.I normally play MC 3, NOVA 2 and infinity blade and they load in no time.

The display on the iPhone 4s is better than the ones on the iPod touch 4g, because the iPod's display attracts more oil and turns blue at an angle.

the only thing I can think of that the iPod might beat the iPhone is durability, my friend dropped his iPod touch 4g 7 times and only scratches, I dropped my iPhone and the glass is starting to crack.

GeniusJon

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Canada
Physically, the iPod touch feels way lighter and thinner (obviously).

But software wise, the iPod touch is rather slow compared to the iPhone 4.

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
Hardware: Feels razor thin and impossible to hold for any length of time without a case. Battery life is pathetic.

Software: Get used to clearing the multitasking tray regularly to preserve smooth performance. The iPod touch is noticeably dated and slow. Apps crash left and right.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Buy a 4S. You won't regret it

Definately, It's an amazing device. Lightning fast and I've never seen it stutter. 50+ Apps installed. My battery life is roughly 2 days on medium usage. And the IPS display is great, even when viewing at extreme angles the picture doesnt change.

jeans94621

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.5.2.26801/26.1374; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

I owned an iPhone 4 and got tired of paying AT&T bill sold it and got an iPod touch 4g thinking I would get the same experience without the phone. Worlds different. iPhone 4 is faster and can handle apps better. Barely had a crash on the iPhone but crashed a lot with the iPod. I brought another iPhone 4 and i still use my iPod touch and I instantly notice the difference. The iPod touch is fantastic device but compared to the iPhone it comes up short.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
The only qualm I have with it is the iPhone's headphone jack is in an awkward position compared to the iPod touch. Is there a way you can turn the display upside down like on an iPad on an iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.