Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkSakura

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Hi, My push notification is not working on my brand new IPhone 4s. I tried to send myself an email from my hotmail account but it won't notify me that I have a new email on my inbox. I had to open my MAIL inbox for me to see the new email. Pls. help me.Thank you again and again.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hi, My push notification is not working on my brand new IPhone 4s. I tried to send myself an email from my hotmail account but it won't notify me that I have a new email on my inbox. I had to open my MAIL inbox for me to see the new email. Pls. help me.Thank you again and again.

The account on the phone - is it Hotmail as well? Hotmail doesn't support Push; only fetch.

You can increase the frequency of the fetch interval if you'd like.

PinkSakura

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
The account on the phone - is it Hotmail as well? Hotmail doesn't support Push; only fetch.

No what I meant is that I tried sending myself an email from my hotmail account and email myself on my IPhone Mail address but I don't receive any notification. It 's supposed to notify me if I have a new message right but it wouldn't ? :(

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
No what I meant is that I tried sending myself an email from my hotmail account and email myself on my IPhone Mail address but I don't receive any notification. It 's supposed to notify me if I have a new message right but it wouldn't ? :(

Right. But what kind of email account is on the phone?

PinkSakura

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Right. But what kind of email account is on the phone?

The usual MAIL that is already set up on IPhone..You know the White envelope Icon with Blue sky background next to MEssages,Phone,Music on the HOme screen.
Ugh, my back and eyes hurt now from studying this new device :(
ALso didn't know that ICloud is not working on MAcbook Pro Mac Os X 10.6.8 :(

Thank you xraydoc for trying to help me.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
iCloud emails supposed to be pushed or fetched? My settings say push but the email took a while to receive.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The usual MAIL that is already set up on IPhone..You know the White envelope Icon with Blue sky background next to MEssages,Phone,Music on the HOme screen.
Ugh, my back and eyes hurt now from studying this new device :(
ALso didn't know that ICloud is not working on MAcbook Pro Mac Os X 10.6.8 :(

Thank you xraydoc for trying to help me.

I'm afraid you're not understanding my question. The email account on your iPhone - is it an iCloud account, a Hotmail account, a Gmail account, a generic POP or IMAP account or.... I don't mean the app you use to check the mail, I mean the mail provider. What comes after the @ in the email address?

PinkSakura

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
In the Settings, there's this Notifications that says
SOrt Apps :Manually
By time. I chose Manually and on the Mail I chose Notification center ON and SHOW 5 Unread Items and Alerty Style I chose Banners ( middle) Badge App Icon =ON Show Preview =ON View in Lock screen =OFF should this be ON too ???

PinkSakura

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
I'm afraid you're not understanding my question. The email account on your iPhone - is it an iCloud account, a Hotmail account, a Gmail account, a generic POP or IMAP account or.... I don't mean the app you use to check the mail, I mean the mail provider. What comes after the @ in the email address?

after the email address it is ezweb.ne.jp = my Japan IPhone carrier company which is AU

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
There's the problem. That is going to be Fetch only.
Yahoo! iCloud (@me.com) and Exchange (including Google sync) are Push on the iPhone. The rest are Fetch.
Increase your fetch frequency to cut the delay down.

PinkSakura

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
There's the problem. That is going to be Fetch only.
Yahoo! iCloud (@me.com) and Exchange (including Google sync) are Push on the iPhone. The rest are Fetch.
Increase your fetch frequency to cut the delay down.

I'm afraid I don't understand how to do those.. Where are those ? Also where is the Fetch on ICLoud ? Someone asked about it here and I'd like to know about that too.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm afraid I don't understand how to do those.. Where are those ? Also where is the Fetch on ICLoud ? Someone asked about it here and I'd like to know about that too.

Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - Fetch New Data - change to 15 minutes

You phone will check for new mail every 15 minutes.

PinkSakura

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - Fetch New Data - change to 15 minutes

You phone will check for new mail every 15 minutes.

I did that but it wouldn't still notify me :(
I had to open the MAIL and it showed i have a new message when it updated :(

On the NOtifications. Should it be Sort APPS by MANUALLY or BY TIME ?

PinkSakura

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
im going to sleep over this and hope that someone could help me tomorrow.
thanks again for trying to help.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I did that but it wouldn't still notify me :(
I had to open the MAIL and it showed i have a new message when it updated :(

On the NOtifications. Should it be Sort APPS by MANUALLY or BY TIME ?

Doesn't matter. This setting has noting to do with push email notifications.

How long did you wait before opening mail? Do you have notifications set to show a badge on the app icon when new mail is waiting? To make a sound? What I'm saying is it may have appropriately fetched but you may have inadvertently disabled your email notifications.

PinkSakura

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Doesn't matter. This setting has noting to do with push email notifications.

How long did you wait before opening mail? Do you have notifications set to show a badge on the app icon when new mail is waiting? To make a sound? What I'm saying is it may have appropriately fetched but you may have inadvertently disabled your email notifications.

good morning, yes i set it to show a badge and to make a sound too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.