Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
I

iFanboy

Original poster
I currently have a Nexus S. It's a good fast phone, doesn't crash on me, takes mediocre pictures but I don't really use it for that. Apps are ok but not brilliant quality. Text messaging is fine but I find that I need Swype.

The Galaxy Nexus has just been announced and left me somewhat "underwhelmed". More of the same just a bit quicker and a better OS to be honest.

I've had an iPhone before, but it was the original iPhone in 2007 in the pre-app store days. Obviously there have been substantial changes since then!

I'm drawn to the iPhone because I want a change, better quality apps and siri. Has anyone else here made the leap? How did you get on? Any regrets? :)

MJW249

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Indiana
I switched from a Droid 2 to the 4s. I don't use Siri often...yet, seems like it could be very useful.

My only complaint is the amount of money that I'm spending on numerous cases, etc.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I switched.

Siri is what sold it for me. I can't stay on top of opening apps and entering data for appointments and reminders, so to have siri do that for me actually means I won't miss appointments and forget things I need to do.

fw221

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
My husband switched from a Motorola droid to the new iPhone with no regrets whatsoever. He droid was on it's last legs.

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
I just switched from the original samsung galaxy s on tmobile (vibrant) to the iPhone 4s on AT&T.

I loved my andoird device and thought having that and an ipad2 was a perfect combo....best of both worlds. My phone was rooted and I had custom a custom rom, the works. I mainly changed because I was bored of my phone and wanted something new. That and I moved for work and tmobile coverage is horrible here.

Either way, I am loving the switch...and you will too. iOS runs so smooth and flawlessly. Apple products are taking over my house actually lol. The only thing I really miss so far is the google maps navigation. But there are 3rd party apps that I am testing out to replace that feature.

I say go for it...you will appreciate the change in OS. I sure did :)

shadrap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Mayberry
Switched from an Evo. Android will always be second rate until they do a better job integrating the hardware with the software.

Ice Cream Sandwich on the new Nexus is a step closer, but the lack of a great camera and integrated carrier VVM support is still a deal killer.

I

iFanboy

Original poster
I just switched from the original samsung galaxy s on tmobile (vibrant) to the iPhone 4s on AT&T.

I loved my andoird device and thought having that and an ipad2 was a perfect combo....best of both worlds. My phone was rooted and I had custom a custom rom, the works. I mainly changed because I was bored of my phone and wanted something new. That and I moved for work and tmobile coverage is horrible here.

Either way, I am loving the switch...and you will too. iOS runs so smooth and flawlessly. Apple products are taking over my house actually lol. The only thing I really miss so far is the google maps navigation. But there are 3rd party apps that I am testing out to replace that feature.

I say go for it...you will appreciate the change in OS. I sure did :)

Damn. Forgot about Free Google Navigation. That was an awesome app. Will miss that greatly :(

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
I kept seeing the tech blogs drool over the "monster" phones coming out on Android so I tried one --- the Infuse 4G.

4.5 inch screen was waaay too big for one handed use. Figured out the biggest I'm willing to go is a 4 inch screen.

iPhone does everything I need and then some.

Def no regrets besides the bad battery life of the 4S...

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
Damn. Forgot about Free Google Navigation. That was an awesome app. Will miss that greatly :(

Yea, but it's really not that big a deal. The refinement of the OS overall really makes up for it. I just got a navigation app called Waze yesterday and it is actually pretty good. And free :) (but still does not compare to the android).

With that said, I do not miss my vibrant at all.

Hope this helps

neile45

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011
Came from an Evo 4g and Evo 3d. Loved my 4g, but after getting the 3d, I got bored. I loved my iPad 2, so I got the iPhone, I have no regrets. I miss google navigation, but I use a standalone gps again, I did after getting the 3d.

I'm sure I'll get bored with the iPhone, and will wind up with another operating system phone, maybe windows phone in a couple years.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
I just got a navigation app called Waze yesterday and it is actually pretty good. And free :)

Love me some Waze :D

Might actually keep using it even over Navigon since you get free traffic reports, heads up about hidden cops trying to ticket, and recalculates you to save time automatically based on traffic reports.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I just got a navigation app called Waze yesterday and it is actually pretty good. And free :) (but still does not compare to the android).

Waze is great, but if you really want a very nice turn-by-turn navigation app that won't break the bank, you should give MotionX GPS Drive a try. It's .99 in the App Store. If you want the actual spoken street names, you can purchase that through the app for (I believe) $2.99/mo. or (as I did) $19.99/year. You can even get a few different voices for the turn-by-turn. I use it literally every single day at work and it has never failed me once.

It's also updated quite often and the customer support is great. They're always adding new features and really listen to what their customers say.

Sorry for the threadjack...:D

iWantiPad2

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2011
The only thing I miss is being able to use my phone as a mass storage device, mainly for transferring pics between my computer and my phone. Other than that, I am very happy with my switch.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I am more like the opposite since I am coming FROM iPhone and checking out Android.

I actually think iOS is still better than Android because of its polish, ecosystem, and stability, but I can tolerate Android devices with the right apps used. As long as the specific model isn't very unstable. That is my pet peeve with any gadget. Unreliability and Android seems to be called upon as the most unstable of them all.

I am craving DESIGN and BUILD QUALITY right now and the fact Apple only seems to release a new design every two years kinda bores me. Apps, ecosystem, or specs don't even interest me at all. I am in a shallow stage with phones when I am usually more practical. The screen size and stock GUI has looked fairly the same since the beginning. If Android is guilty of copying it, it is guilty of copying an archaic design. Android isn't just going against iOS, I see alot of certain fanboys for specific manufacturers that will argue with other. So fandroids vs fandroids similar to people who love heavy metal but have debates between their fav bands. Slayer rocks, Metallica sucks, or vice versa. HTC rocks, Samsung sucks, or vice-versa.

If I was coming from Android to iPhone, I can see having lesser regrets. If the opposite, I see having some regrets. But I can live using both which I do. Android can be complementary to iOS.

randymac88

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Switched from an EVO. Overall, it's a way more polished experience on the iPhone. Smoother, cleaner, more solid. In my book, it's laugher. Would like the data to be a bit faster, but it's more than adequate for maps, on-the-go web browsing, and other needs when wifi isn't around. Don't use Siri much at all.

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Vlingo is a pretty good Siri alternative for Android.

I've got best of both worlds. iPad 2, iPhone 4, Galaxy S II.

k.i.t.t.o.

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
I had an iPhone 2G for two years, then switched to a Droid X when it came out last year. And now I'm back on iOS with the iPhone 4S. I originally got the Droid because of its awesome notification bar, and the battery life wasn't half bad (my 2G, by that point, could barely hold a 4 hour charge). Android was awesome for most of the year, but after I upgraded to Gingerbread, the phone started to give me issues. The battery went from the awesome 9-12 hours to 6-8, and that's on medium usage. The software was no longer smooth. So I started to look for a new phone, right around the time the 4S was announced. And what do you know, iOS 5 integrated a very similar yet equally awesome notification center. The battery life, as advertised, is an improvement over my Droid X (even if it has odd issues of its own...). In the end, I left Android for the same reasons I left my iPhone 2G. The circle of life, lol.

WoodrowCall

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2010
Memphis, TN
I am craving DESIGN and BUILD QUALITY right now and the fact Apple only seems to release a new design every two years kinda bores me.

This doesn't really make sense; it sounds like you're craving novelty. Looking at customer satisfaction surveys, no one can hang with apple as far as build quality goes. And, other than maybe the Galaxy Nexus (seriously, the worst name ever) I still have yet to see another phone with as good a design as the iPhone 4(S).

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
No, it isn't. Not even close to being an alternative.

Mentally-challenged cousin, maybe.

LoL :D

Just had an image flash in my head of a mentally-challenged voice speaking for Vlingo. I think it would be a hit :p

Last edited:

Millionin20s

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
I switched from an EVO as well. Haven't regretted the choice at all.

My two biggest problems with the EVO and every Android phone I've used are battery life and optimization/customization/fragmentation (I guess that makes it four, actually). HTC released the EVO with a bug that only let your phone truly charge to 90%, even though the meter would read 100%. You would take it off charge and watch the battery diminish 10% in 20-30 minutes, then slowly begin a further descent. The only fix to that was to root the phone, install another kernel, and hope you found the right one. Even though I'm the kind of person that doesn't mind doing this kind of thing, I know plenty of people who aren't, and things like this frustrate them.

Android manufacturers seem to grab Google's source code, slap a bunch of components together, skin it with a proprietary overlay, and strap it with things like huge screens and 4G radios that sound cool but drain your battery. Yes it was awesome downloading things very quickly on the EVO and the Thunderbird I used on 4G... until the battery drained off 20% rather quickly. Yes, the EVO's big screen was nice to watch things on. It was also a bitch to text on at times.

Lastly, I disliked how often new versions of Android came out while I owned the EVO. I purchased my EVO while it ran Android 2.1.. Then 2.2. comes out, and I have to root/install some developer's code to get 2.2., then the same with 2.3. because HTC may or may not decide to upgrade my OS. While this is and was my choice to do so, and I knew I was taking a chance by buying the handset, there's no way my OS should become obsolete 3 times in a year.

Compared to the amount of hoops I jumped through to make my EVO satisfactory, the iPhone is a breeze. I haven't shut it off due to the phone locking up since the day I got it. If a text doesn't go through it isn't stuck in limbo, I know immediately. It. Just. Works.

bluewolf815

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
East Coast
Android pros after switching to verizon 4s

I had a 1st generation droid for 2 1/2 years and the hardware was from the stoneage by the time I replaced it. However, I miss the openness & customization of the android os.

iOS is obviously a more polished product, however the file structure restrictions and limited settings options in comparison to android still bug me. Free ringtone apps are missing the wide selection of music options and require the ringtones to be loaded onto your iPhone via iTunes. In contrast, android offers a wide free selection of music ringtones and downloads directly into the phone's standard ringtone options. This is just one example, the same file structure challenges apply to other apps as well, like Dropbox, sms backup, or sms auto delete apps (there is no iOS equivalent, as far as I've found, for either).

The iOS App store also lacks the convenient "trial period" for paid apps, however, Apple will sometimes reverse the sale within 2-3 business days if you go into recent purchases in iTunes say that there's a problem with a purchase.

0hy3ah

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
I came from using a BB for 3 years mainly b/c Sprint didn't offer the iphone and I was (and sill am) on contract with them for the rest of my life. ;) Android phones/format did nothing for me. The way I saw it was if I couldn't have an iphone then the BB was the next best thing. And I did like it. But now the Gods have smiled down upon us Sprint users and I have and love my iphone:apple::D .

ONLY thing I miss is a call blocking app.

Polo2883

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
I switched and I am currently neutral.

The only app I miss is tasker. I would like an app like tasker to switch profiles.

I had my Android automatically switch to vibrate once the phone connected to my jobs wifi, and doctors office. Also it would switch all notifications off and leave the phone on from 10pm - 7am.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.