Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2006
I've been having this problem on my new 4s about two times a day. I'll dial a call and when I put the phone to my ear I can hear myself very loud (breathing, etc) and the call does not go through. When I redial it goes through fine. It would not be such a big deal but it's a bit annoying as its happening at lest twice a day. Has anyone else heard about or experienced this issue?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I've been having this problem on my new 4s about two times a day. I'll dial a call and when I put the phone to my ear I can hear myself very loud (breathing, etc) and the call does not go through. When I redial it goes through fine. It would not be such a big deal but it's a bit annoying as its happening at lest twice a day. Has anyone else heard about or experienced this issue?

Happened to me twice yesterday. Strange couldn't hear dialing tone. But heard echo and me breathing.

I put phone into airplane mode. Switched out. Than did test call to 611 and everything was back to normal. Heard dialing tone.

I have never liked the "phone" part of the iPhone. Always have had problems. That's why I carry two phones with me. I use the other non iPhone for phone calls.

dbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2006
Anyone else having this problem? I'm trying to figure out if it's a hardware issue or not. I seem to remember something similar happening when I first got my new 3G years ago, but can't be sure.

dbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2006
Last call. Looking for more people with this problem, or anyone who knows what might cause it.

dmo1028

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
NC
It's happening to me too and I have no idea why. When it does happen, my second try to make a call always works. I'm on Verizon so I'm interested to see if it may be carrier specific.

dbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2006
It's happening to me on AT&T. Dunno what would be causing it. I'm probably going to call Apple if I can't get a better idea of how widespread the problem is, and if it's a known problem or not. So far, from only two responses on here, I just don't know if it's common.

mom333

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2011
Sounds like it could be related to other discussions.

My personal experience:

1. No audio sound - I had been talking to my sister earlier via speakerphone. Then when I tried to later call her normally, is when I couldn't hear her or a ring, and the time counter was going. There seems to be a glitch with switching between headsets, speakers, siri and normal phone calls. I never use a headset, and didn't use Siri that day. It makes sense now....I couldn't hear anything when trying to call her, because she was the last person I called on speaker. Then when I called my niece (a new number) it worked fine. The next day I had the issue again when calling my husband, but I had been listening to music with my headphones on just prior to trying to call him. This must be a software issue that I hope Apple fixes ASAP.

2. I'm experiencing a large amount of Dropped calls / calls failed. I'm going to try what my friend (an Apple employee) suggested. He thinks because I restored my 4S from my old 3GS it's just exaggerating any issues I had on my old phone. He suggested I restore my phone, set it up as a new device, and then resync. Hopefully that will do the trick.

I'm on AT&T and I have read about several others with the audio issues and they are on all different carriers.

dmo1028

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
NC
I have seen a few threads on it scattered around here, but no real answers. Someone stated that they just had their phone replaced for the same issue at the Apple store and his replacement did not have the same issue.

dbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2006
I found an article on apple discussions with TONS of people having this problem here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3404857?start=90&tstart=0

I'm amazed more people haven't responded to this thread. I was on the phone today with Apple. Did a network reset and system restore, setup as new phone, and the problem persists. Now I have to decide if I want to exchange the phone for a new one (a lot of people say they try to send you a factory refurbed phone??).

Now I have to decide if I want to risk exchanging one problem for another. A lot of yellow displays out there, super poor battery life (mine isn't great, even with optional services turned off), or the potential of receiving a phone with more then one of these problems!

Last time I buy a new release Apple product. I was still on a 3G that was dying, so I didn't have much choice this time. What a sucky feeling that I can't go out and buy a new Apple product without all these issues, and with Apple seemingly wanting to deny that issues exist.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I would agree to wait it out, and not get the new release model at launch

Rattle issues-Some do and some do not
Battery issues-Many do and some not
Yellowgate-Many have this and some do not
Antennagate-Grip/Finger on side of phone, Strength Bars go down
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1266709/

Some calls can’t be heard when calling
https://discussions.apple.com/message/16572444
https://discussions.apple.com/message/16571698
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1261853/
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3404857?start=90&tstart=0

dbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2006
Just an FYI on the last discussions.apple thread I posted, for those that don't want to read 12 pages. Most people who've done all the reset/restore options still have the problem persist after setting up again in itunes as a new phone. Many of the people who swapped out their phone for a new one have not had the problem repeat, although a couple have gotten new problem phones and had to swap them out again.

A couple of the people who got the best apple reps on the phone or in store, said that they ran certain diagnostics and a couple of simple physical tests to quickly confirm the problem, concluded it was faulty hardware (receiver audio switching problem), and replaced the phones. It seems that this problem is slowly becoming known to Apple. Unfortunately, these were the good reps. Most others aren't worth their weight in dirt when it comes to real problem solving.

I still hate that I have to worry that my next phone might be defective as well. So annoying. Quality control issues are starting to plague my otherwise pleasant relationship with Apple products.

dshootist

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2005
similar connection problem with my 4S

I have the 16GB white 4S on Verizon and will occasionally make a call where the receiver can't hear me but I can hear them furtively trying to get me to answer. It will not happen concurrently, but more than I'd like in a day. It has also happened with both land lines and cell lines. I have tested a variety of possibilities with the call completion being just as random:

1. with and without case
2. with and without bluetooth headset
3. with and without headphones
4. volume all the way up and at mid level
5. holding and not holding the phone itself

without solid numbers in front of me, I'd say the occurrence of this problem is about 1 every 8 or 10 calls. Anyone else have this issue?:mad:

Dannyraps

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
same issue in the UK

Only just found this thread but had my iPhone 4S since the release date pretty much and from day 1 I have had this issue.

Same as most are reporting - dial a number and the speaker seems to short to the microphone of the phone and you end up hearing yourself and local atmospheric noise.

It is actually getting worse and now it does it EVERY time I go to make a call, I have to redial about 4 or 5 times and I'm going to have to get my provider (Orange) to send me a new handset by the looks of things.

TechieInGA

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2015
I have Verizon and I used to experience this problem with my Blackberry, and now have it using my iPhone5. It's been 9 years since it was reported and it's still a problem? That's crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.