Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:19 PM   #1
iSari
macrumors member

Question the differences between the iPod touch & the iPhone 4S

Other than the phone, what are the differences between the iPod touch 32GB and the iPhone 4S 32GB? I know the iPod is a whole lot thinner and...

1080p iphone
720p ipod

8 MP camera iphone
5 MP camera ipod

what else? Is the phone in the iPhone 4S (with the camera and the 3G capability) is worth an extra $400 if I can get an iPod touch instead?

Thanks!
iSari
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors G5

The iPod's camera is 0.7 MP, not 5. The iPod has an inferior screen, the older A4, and the inferior GPU. The iPhone 4S will get iOS 7, where the iPod will only get up to iOS 6. The 4S also has Siri and a few other software enhancements.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:39 PM   #3
iSari
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
The iPod's camera is 0.7 MP, not 5. The iPod has an inferior screen, the older A4, and the inferior GPU. The iPhone 4S will get iOS 7, where the iPod will only get up to iOS 6. The 4S also has Siri and a few other software enhancements.
Thanks! I thought it was 5 MP.. my bad!
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Epiphron
macrumors regular

the major difference is being able to use 3g for data. this means iphone also has gps functionality and other data related functions. it also has a bigger battery
Epiphron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:27 AM   #5
goosnarrggh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
The original iPad software license agreement included a promise to deliver a specific range of firmware upgrades, up to version (N+1).0 (where version N.x was originally shipped with the device), for free. It did not commit to withholding future updated beyond version (N+1).0, so it's possible that future versions may be made available at Apple's discretion. [For example, the original iPad shipped with iOS 3.x, and it can now run iOS 5.x, version (N+2)]

None of the other iOS-based devices, including the current generations of iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and 4th generation iPod touch, include any such promise. Apple may, at its discretion, choose to withhold any iOS version from any generation of iDevice for any reason.

In summary, there's no guarantee, yet, that the iPhone 4S will receive iOS 7, nor is there any guarantee that the current generation of iPod touch will not receive iOS 7. For that matter, there's no absolute guarantee that iOS 7 will ever even exist -- perhaps the entire operating system may have migrated to an entirely different paradigm by then...
goosnarrggh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:31 PM   #6
baypharm
macrumors 6502a

[QUOTE=iSari;13708018]Other than the phone, what are the differences between the iPod touch 32GB and the iPhone 4S 32GB? I know the iPod is a whole lot thinner and...

1080p iphone
720p ipod

Don't pay alot of attention to the 720 vs 1080 hype. Much of it is hype. Unless you are projecting onto a large theater screen, 720 will more than suffice for ordinary users who send their files to You-Tube, Vimeo, or to each other. Professional producers now have 4K and beyond at their disposal so 1080 is rather mundane in comparison.

And remember that unless you want to be a slave to your phone (that is carry it around with you 24/7) the iPod does Skype very well as does Google Voice/Talkatone when you are within earshot of a WIFI signal. I realize many people can't go anywhere without their phones, but I am not one of them. I simply don't feel the need to carry around a portable telephone everywhere I go.
baypharm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:35 PM   #7
applefan289
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSari View Post
Other than the phone, what are the differences between the iPod touch 32GB and the iPhone 4S 32GB? I know the iPod is a whole lot thinner and...

1080p iphone
720p ipod

8 MP camera iphone
5 MP camera ipod

what else? Is the phone in the iPhone 4S (with the camera and the 3G capability) is worth an extra $400 if I can get an iPod touch instead?

Thanks!
iSari
The iPod does not have an IPS display, which means the viewing angles are much worse than with the iPhone or iPad. iPod has an inferior camera, an older processor (A4), and no 3G capability (so you will have to rely on Wi-Fi).

The iPod has 256mb of RAM, while the iPhone has 512MB.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:39 PM   #8
Intell
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosnarrggh View Post
The original iPad software license agreement included a promise to deliver a specific range of firmware upgrades, up to version (N+1).0 (where version N.x was originally shipped with the device), for free. It did not commit to withholding future updated beyond version (N+1).0, so it's possible that future versions may be made available at Apple's discretion. [For example, the original iPad shipped with iOS 3.x, and it can now run iOS 5.x, version (N+2)]

None of the other iOS-based devices, including the current generations of iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and 4th generation iPod touch, include any such promise. Apple may, at its discretion, choose to withhold any iOS version from any generation of iDevice for any reason.

In summary, there's no guarantee, yet, that the iPhone 4S will receive iOS 7, nor is there any guarantee that the current generation of iPod touch will not receive iOS 7. For that matter, there's no absolute guarantee that iOS 7 will ever even exist -- perhaps the entire operating system may have migrated to an entirely different paradigm by then...
Reading the iPhone 2G EULA, you'll see the the iPhone is set to receive two more iOS versions. This statement is in the 3G and 3Gs EULA as well. But is absent from the 4 and 4S. The iPod Touch of the corresponding iPhone generation also had the same statements.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:49 PM   #9
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Unless you are in the market for a new cell phone I think the iPod should work just fine for you. If you aren't paying for a cell phone now you are looking at more than just the phone cost, you are also talking about being locked into contract for 2 years which ultimately would be in the thousands by the time you can cancel without ridiculous cancellation fees.

On a side note, I think the locked in contracts should be illegal. It is a blunt statement telling you that they aren't confident enough with providing a good service that they need extra security to make sure you stay.

Paying for an unlocked phone at retail price is also ridiculous, You could buy two computers for the price of the 64GB iPhone 4S. Borderline criminal in my opinion, the device obviously costs a fraction of that to produce.

I think Apple was foolish to not give iPod Touch at least a RAM and processor upgrade because now that it is the only A4 device in the iOSverse, Developers will have to choose between max performance or max compatibility. The iPod Touch market is still a huge one, to stiff it like they did this year was retarded.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:24 PM   #10
tablo13
macrumors 65816

No IPS screen.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:48 PM   #11
rattler
macrumors member

No GPS chip in the touch.
rattler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 02:22 AM   #12
peaterherry
macrumors newbie

Processor Cores:
iphone - 2
ipod - 1

IPS Technology:
iphone - Yes
ipod - No

RAM:
iphone - 512 MB
ipod - 256 MB

Data Networks:
iphone - 2G/3G & Wi-Fi
ipod - Wi-Fi

Video Runtime:
iphone - 10 Hours
ipod - 7 Hours

Camera:
iphone - 8 MP
ipod - 0.7 MP

Camera Flash:
iphone - Yes
ipod - No

Camera Autofocus:
iphone - Yes
ipod - No

Storage:
iphone - 16, 32, 64 GB
ipod - 8, 32, 64 GB

Last edited by peaterherry; Feb 5, 2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: my mistake
peaterherry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 02:35 AM   #13
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

During day-to-day usage my friend's iPod Touch (the latest gen) often stutters and lags when running quite intensive apps, while my iPhone 4S runs smooth as on pretty much anything I throw at it. The only thing thats made it stutter so far was going from the home screen to Real Racing 2 while halfway through a race and receiving a text.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch