Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekjs88

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I know this question has been addressed quite a bit, but this is for a friend and I am having trouble helping him since his device is not with me. I think the problem stems from the fact that his main Apple ID is a username and not an email.

Account used on iPhone and for all purchases: JohnDoe with the email JohnDoe@gmail.com

He never got the verification for his email, and that's because at some point he had created an account with the username as JohnDoe@gmail.com with the same email as the primary email.

Last night he set it up and mistakenly got his @gmail.com account verified (the account without his purchases).

My questions: How can he get the original ID JohnDoe to be used as an email that he can use as his Apple ID for iCloud so he'll have all his purchases and won't have to sign in and out? Does he need to create an @me email so he can use that to add to an account and make that the name of his AppleID?

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.