Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:53 AM   #1
iHavequestions
macrumors regular

Lifeproof looks cool. But does it protect against drops?

I currently have an Otterbox Defender, and it makes me feel like the phone can go through almost anything. With a smaller case like Lifeproof, will it offer similar protection against drops? I love how it's waterproof.

----------

Also, iLounge says that the screen is a little to far from the phone and takes sensitivity away from the ability to control it with a light touch. Is this true?

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...-for-iphone-4/
iHavequestions is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:58 AM   #2
VydorScope
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHavequestions View Post
Also, iLounge says that the screen is a little to far from the phone and takes sensitivity away from the ability to control it with a light touch. Is this true?

This was fixed in the 2nd Gen case (which I have). It is not as sensitive as naked screen, but pretty close.

----------

Quote:
I currently have an Otterbox Defender, and it makes me feel like the phone can go through almost anything. With a smaller case like Lifeproof, will it offer similar protection against drops? I love how it's waterproof.[COLOR="#808080"]
Go to their site, and watch their videos on what they due to the phone. I do not plan to drop test mine, but all the reviews I read/watch pretty much said the case performs as advertised.

There IS a problem with the 4s light sensor though. The auto-dim will not work with it, but they plan to fix that in November and give everyone a free upgrade to the fixed case.
So are its sequels The Academy and Rise of Shadows
VydorScope is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:01 AM   #3
Biff...
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I currently have an Otterbox Defender, and it makes me feel like the phone can go through almost anything. With a smaller case like Lifeproof, will it offer similar protection against drops? I love how it's waterproof.

----------

Yes, I've already dropped my 4s twice, the case took it like a champ.
Biff... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:02 AM   #4
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

yes and its waterproof!
Thetonyk123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:10 AM   #5
chris975d
macrumors 68000

Yes, it will survive a drop with ease. If you'd like, you can read my review here: http://www.runaroundtech.com/2011/10...hone-44s-case/
chris975d is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:02 AM   #6
jduff
macrumors newbie

I had a few experiences with LifeProof. First experience was great, phone was waterproof, and I was taking some great underwater video etc. Then the ear piece film ripped out without warning and my phone got water damaged.

Paid to have my iPhone replaced, got a new case sent from LifeProof, good to go! Not so fast, had the case on my phone for 2 weeks and notices the volume/vibrate toggle switch area had a rip around it (from everyday use for 2 weeks) and yet again my phone had been water damaged from water leaking from this rip.

Had an extra LifeProof case, and sold it. Obviously I didn't have the best experience. I agree its an innovative idea, I just think that any time you put your phone in/near water you are running a risk of damage. I wouldn't recommend it.

jd
jduff is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:30 AM   #7
Gathomblipoob
macrumors 6502a

I know someone whose son was showing off his iPhone 4 in the Lifeproof case. He was dropping it lightly on the ground and about the third time the screen cracked. Just don't go around showing it off, I guess.
Gathomblipoob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:58 AM   #8
VydorScope
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gathomblipoob View Post
I know someone whose son was showing off his iPhone 4 in the Lifeproof case. He was dropping it lightly on the ground and about the third time the screen cracked. Just don't go around showing it off, I guess.
Oh, I think that is true of all of them. I have heard the same stories about otter box... the case for me is a chance for a second chance, not an invincible shield.
So are its sequels The Academy and Rise of Shadows
VydorScope is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:35 AM   #9
Biff...
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Oh, I think that is true of all of them. I have heard the same stories about otter box... the case for me is a chance for a second chance, not an invincible shield.
+1 on this. I would not drop my phone on purpose just to to show the case off. Although I have dropped it twice already, so I probably only have one more stirke and I'm out
Biff... is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone