Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:46 PM   #1
sphinx666
macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS on OS 4.1 - need to restore a backup without updating

It's a bit of a long story, but here goes:

I have an iPhone 3GS that was unlocked (jailbroken). I updated to OS5 without realizing that my phone would no longer work. Before I had updated, it had asked if I wanted to backup my phone - which it did in the following directory: name/Library/iTunes/Mobile Backups/<serial number>/Structured

I was not able downgrade the OS (I kept trying to downgrade to 4.3.5). Anyway, I took it to someone paid $20 and had him put iOS 4.1 on it. I have a firmware of 6.15.00.

Now, I have the phone unlocked again on iOS 4.1 and I need to restore my information. I copied the contents from the above directory into a previous restore under /Library/Application Support/Mobile Sync/Backup/<random directory> - so it shows up in the restore list in iTunes.

The problem is if I restore the backup it will update to iOS5, correct? How do I get my contacts / pics / calendar, etc back on my phone without updating to iOS5 and screwing this all up again? I can't keep paying someone $20 to unlock my phone everytime I mess up.

I also downloaded the iOS 4.1 file now in case I need it. And I restored my stuff on a friends phone who has iPhone 4 with OS5 - so I know all my information is there.

Can someone please help?

THANK YOU!!
sphinx666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:05 PM   #2
sphinx666
macrumors newbie

solution found

It looks like if you just restore to a backup it doesnt update the OS. I took a chance and it worked. phew.
sphinx666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting