Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 12, 2005, 03:58 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Firefox video campaign storms the Web

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Firefox video campaign storms the Web

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 12, 2005, 04:11 PM   #2
johnnowak
macrumors 6502a

Too bad Firefox and Thunderbird both suck in OS X because they do not conform to the "Mac way". I'll stick with Safari/Camino and mail.

Firefix is my first choice when booted into GNU/Linux though.
johnnowak is offline   0
Old May 12, 2005, 04:22 PM   #3
Mitthrawnuruodo

I liked the "Mobile"...

The "Office" was ok, too, but "Laptop" was a bit lame (although pretty well made)...
Old May 12, 2005, 04:29 PM   #4
brap
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnowak
Too bad Firefox and Thunderbird both suck in OS X because they do not conform to the "Mac way".
How so?
Old May 12, 2005, 05:03 PM   #5
narco
macrumors 65816

Man, Safari has been "unexpectedly quitting" since i upgraded. I've been using Firefox even more lately until I can figure out the deal. I love Safari though, it's fast and it's pretty -- something that Firefox is not. Looks too "windows" to me, but isn't that typical?

Fishes,
narco.
narco is offline   0
Old May 12, 2005, 05:41 PM   #6
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brap
How so?
Firefox and Thunderbird both use a cross-platform, XUL-driven interface that doesn't look anything like a typical Mac application. This decision makes Firefox and Thunderbird easier to maintain, but annoys Mac purists that insist that all applications adhere to Apple's user interface guidelines.
Old May 12, 2005, 05:58 PM   #7
brap
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89
Firefox and Thunderbird both use a cross-platform, XUL-driven interface that doesn't look anything like a typical Mac application.
See attachment.
Quote:
This decision makes Firefox and Thunderbird easier to maintain, but annoys Mac purists that insist that all applications adhere to Apple's user interface guidelines.
Since Mail 2.0, and the Tiger plastic/brushed/pinstripe mish-mash, this argument doesn't wash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	23793  
Old May 12, 2005, 06:01 PM   #8
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
See attachment.
Since Mail 2.0, and the Tiger plastic/brushed/pinstripe mish-mash, this argument doesn't wash.
That's interesting, brap. I thought the Mozilla Group wasn't going to truly fix the un-Mac-like-ness of Firefox until version 1.1. Have the Mozilla Group revised their plans with Firefox 1.0.4 (which I assume you're using - I haven't used the Mac version of Firefox in a while)?
Old May 12, 2005, 06:11 PM   #9
brap
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89
That's interesting, brap. I thought the Mozilla Group wasn't going to truly fix the un-Mac-like-ness of Firefox until version 1.1. Have the Mozilla Group revised their plans with Firefox 1.0.4 (which I assume you're using - I haven't used the Mac version of Firefox in a while)?
Sadly not, the official builds still carry ugly widgets (ie, buttons, radios, checkboxes), but if you either download an optimised build with them integrated, or apply them yourself - they're fixed.

It all comes down to if you're willing to make the 2-or-3 'googles to fix the ugly buttons; the default theme is good enough as is, but the brushed GrApple theme is better
Old May 13, 2005, 01:19 AM   #10
solvs
macrumors 601

Quote:
Sadly not, the official builds still carry ugly widgets (ie, buttons, radios, checkboxes), but if you either download an optimised build with them integrated, or apply them yourself - they're fixed.
Ah, that explains it. I use the optimized version. I was going to say, looks fine to me.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion