Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoHo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Is there a way around this? I made a minute and a half video and wanted to e-mail it to a friend but it says it's too big.

Is there a setting you can change to allow it to send? I don't think they would include 1080 video if you weren't even able to send a clip longer than a minute.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If you go in the Camera Roll and select your video, press the little share arrow. Then select "Email Video" the 4S will reduce the size and quality of the file so it can be sent. Note: The full resolution video is not altered in this process and remains in your Camera Roll.

NoHo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
If you go in the Camera Roll and select your video, press the little share arrow. Then select "Email Video" the 4S will reduce the size and quality of the file so it can be sent. Note: The full resolution video is not altered in this process and remains in your Camera Roll.

The only option it gives me when I choose to email is Video is Too Long. Would you like to select a smaller clip from this video to email? then it has me edit it to a smaller clip using the timeline feature.

It's actually 1:50 long.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Strange. I remember my 3Gs "compressing" a video I took once before it was sent. Maybe the video isn't long enough to trigger the compression feature.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Most email providers have a limit on attachment sizes so even if you are able to send it doesn't mean that it can be received by the recipient. I would recommend FTP or some sort of file sharing service.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
i just tested this out with a 57 second video and it does the same thing for me. it says its too long. the iphone has some severe limitations when it comes to file sharing. can't send via bluetooth to other kinda of phones (android) and can't send hi def video through email

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
i just tested this out with a 57 second video and it does the same thing for me. it says its too long. the iphone has some severe limitations when it comes to file sharing. can't send via bluetooth to other kinda of phones (android) and can't send hi def video through email

The limit for videos is set by the Email server, not the phone though.

Try sending it over iMessages. It would be interesting to see if they let you send large videos over iMessages, especially over 3G.

Pravius

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
MI

This can be accomplished through jailbreaking. Additionally since you are shooting in 1080p the videos are going to be ginormous (yea i said that).

Think about if everyone at once took a video 500mb in size and emailed it all at once, what do you think that would do to a network?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Think about if everyone at once took a video 500mb in size and emailed it all at once, what do you think that would do to a network?

It doesn't really matter if the video is 5MB in that scenario. The impact on the network would still be a problem.

In reality, if everyone did that, the carrier would be raking it in.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
keep in mind that a 1:50 video is around 300 mb. its a email limitation, not iphone.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
The limit for videos is set by the Email server, not the phone though.

Try sending it over iMessages. It would be interesting to see if they let you send large videos over iMessages, especially over 3G.

Yes! They do! Already tried it, it works great, since it's using data.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Or just reduce it to 480p/540p using iMovie ... I use that a lot on my IP4 even .. with 4S it should take just few seconds !

Hamiltonian

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
You can avoid the hassle of email by 1) registering for DropBox.com,
2) uploading your video in your DropBox public folder,
3) then sending your friend the URL of your video so s/he can download it directly.

Will69

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
How big is the file? If the data plan is very limited, would it be better to first transfer from phone to pc then upload to Internet (to whichever internet destination)

NoHo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
keep in mind that a 1:50 video is around 300 mb. its a email limitation, not iphone.

That's too bad. 1080 video, but you can only send 30 seconds worth of footage to someone.

Kind of seems wasteful.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
1080 video is great...but it's not meant to be emailed. Use dropbox, post it on YouTube, etc. No one's email is going to accept a file that size. Most people can't accept more than 10MB or so. It shouldn't be a surprise that you can't email the file, and it's not the fault of the phone.

Mavrick96

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
1080 video is great...but it's not meant to be emailed. Use dropbox, post it on YouTube, etc. No one's email is going to accept a file that size. Most people can't accept more than 10MB or so. It shouldn't be a surprise that you can't email the file, and it's not the fault of the phone.

Well said. I like how people right away blame the iPhone for this. Try sending a 1:50--1080P video through email with android or windows phone. Doesn't work. Limitations of email not the phone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

I still doubt the op gets it though.

NoHo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
I still doubt the op gets it though.
I get it just fine. But if I make a minute long video of our newborn child to send to his father in Iraq, it's a real pain in the butt that I can't simply email a minute long video.

Last edited by a moderator:

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I get it just fine. But if I make a minute long video of our newborn child to send to his father in Iraq, it's a real pain in the butt that I can't simply email a minute long video.

Dont worry ... the Network technology hasnt really caught up to the future yet :) ... but still getting there !

Last edited by a moderator:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
You can always use Dropbox and email the link if your not near a computer. Or you can create an account shared by both of you. Works great. ;)

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
i understand that there are email limitations. i don't think anyone is disputing this. but the iphone should have an option to compress the video so it can be sent. when you upload a video to youtube it gives you and option for HD or standard definition. this should be an option for emails as well

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Of course once the video was compressed enough to actually send in email everyone would complain about the quality and blame the iPhone for shooting crappy video

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
Of course once the video was compressed enough to actually send in email everyone would complain about the quality and blame the iPhone for shooting crappy video

This.

Whenever you come across an issue like this, it's Apple's, your ISP's, your e-mail provider's, etc. not so subtle way of telling you to find an alternate way to accomplish this task. Using technology, you have to adapt. Anytime you say, "well I used to be able to do it this way", it should be a trigger in your mind to forget that way and try something new. As others have said, using YouTube or DropBox are perfectly viable ways to accomplish your objective while still maintaining the integrity of the video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.