Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:04 PM   #1
interceptor47
macrumors member

iPhone 4 shuts off by itself

Ever since I upgraded my IP4 to iOS5 I have had issues with my phone turning itself off randomly, seems about once a day it does this. With this issue, and the fact that it keeps dropping the Bluetooth connection with Ford Sync in my car I am getting kind of fed up with this update. Any one else have your phone turn off by itself?
interceptor47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 08:44 PM   #2
interceptor47
macrumors member

So after 6 weeks no one else has this problem? I bet if the title said "My battery life sucks now, boo hoo, fix it!" I would have a hundred responses.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:01 AM   #3
kfergiez
macrumors 6502

After six weeks of this problem you haven't contacted apple?
kfergiez is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:06 AM   #4
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

By your own observation regarding the lack of responses it would seem that your problem is an unusual one. If I could help, I would; sadly, I cannot.

I didn't want you to think that nobody was listening.
lelisa13p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:51 AM   #5
toolbox
macrumors 68020

My 4 never turned off, my 4s does not turn off. Both are running IOS 5 even 3gs is fine!
Old Dec 10, 2011, 06:25 AM   #6
Ashwood11
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by interceptor47 View Post
Ever since I upgraded my IP4 to iOS5 I have had issues with my phone turning itself off randomly, seems about once a day it does this. With this issue, and the fact that it keeps dropping the Bluetooth connection with Ford Sync in my car I am getting kind of fed up with this update. Any one else have your phone turn off by itself?
The Motorweek television program on PBS reviewed one of the Ford vehicles and the Sync feature totally failed to work and it was not an Apple problem.
Ashwood11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:50 AM   #7
interceptor47
macrumors member

I went to the Apple store to see if they would help me. They wanted $150 for a replacement phone since I'm out of warranty. I would have considered paying it if that would have corrected the problem for sure. Since it only started doing it after I updated to iOS5 I hardly think it's the actual phone. I did a restore to new and still happens. Restored from a backup from last April and again, still doing it. It will also not charge when I plug it in sometimes, even when left overnight. I will have to unplug and try it again. Sometimes when I do unplug it, the phone will just turn off again. And not the little spinning thing like it's powering down, just a black screen instantly like it crashed.

I think it's BS that Apple won't help me in this matter seeing as it's no fault of mine it doesn't work correctly. It was just fine before the new OS was installed. I love the phone and features, I just want it to work like it's supposed to. Not randomly crash while sitting in my pocket.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:10 AM   #8
rabbitjetta
macrumors member

Downgrade to iOS 4 again. See if it happens and then if it does It tells you that you have a hardware problem.
rabbitjetta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:10 AM   #9
indisguise
macrumors member

Hardware issue

it sounds like your phone has a hardware issue. maybe the logic board or something else,but definitely a hardware issue. if you have restored it already and it keeps doing this and it sounds like its getting worse its definitely hardware. being out of warranty $149 is pretty good to get a completely new working phone without renewing any contract. I highly doubt its because of iOS 5 itself.
indisguise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:10 AM   #10
MerseyRay
macrumors newbie

Interceptor, did you every get this issue resolved ?
I have exactly the same problem with my iphone 4 ios 5.0 and havent found any others that have the problem.
I have restored at least 6 times now, and the last restore I done I set it up as a new phone, didnt restore from backup, and connected to iCloud to recieve my contacts. The problem still exists
MerseyRay is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier