Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC
When using shuffle on iTunes I would like it to reshuffle everytime I double click on a song to play. For instance if I click to play song x and song y come after it, if I click to play song x again at a later time, song y is always after it. I have deduced that iTunes seems to order all your song in some random order when shuffling, and this "random" order is never changed until you quit iTunes (or take shuffle off idk which). Is there any way to make it change the song order every time I double click on a song?

Its really annoying when I have a song of the week and I click to play it and then an hour later, I click to play it again and it replays all of the song I just listened to for the past hour over again in the same order :/.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Think of it like a pack of cards. You shuffle them and the cards are now in a set order. You look through them and find the King of Hearts. Following the King is the Ace of Spades. No matter how often you find the King of Hearts, the Ace of Spades is always the next card...until you shuffle the pack again.

Turn iTunes shuffle off then back on to re-shuffle and change the order of play.This is how "shuffle" works. If it was a random choice then you could quite easily have the same song played more than once in a session.

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I understand how iTunes shuffles, it just does not work well with my listening habits. What I would like is a Grooveshark type shuffle option. Grooveshark plays songs randomly (without repeating) but you can also add in songs of your choosing at any time and they do not mess up the randomness of the songs you get. I was wondering if there was a way to accomplish this in iTunes. So iTunes will keep track of songs you have played and songs you have not played. When you play a song, it goes into the played list. If you play a song that has already been played, it stays in the played list. Then when iTunes needs to pick another song for you to play, it can just grab it from the list of unplayed songs. I do not think that would be too hard to implement and much better than what they have now.

x74353

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2015
Another way to shuffle

Use an app like Altunenator (MAS link) to shuffle smartly based on last played date. Works great for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.