Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:55 AM   #1
wolfpackfan
macrumors 65816

Using iCloud email in Thunderbird

Okay, I've been struggling with setting iCloud email up in Thunderbird ever since iCloud was released. When I use IMAP server mail.me.com it connects about half the time. The other times I get an error message. I found an Apple support posting that said use imap.mail.me.com with login xxxx@me.com. This form rejects all the time. What is the secret with using iCloud's IMAP server? Anyone using iCloud in Thunderbird successfully? I have to say I am so close just going back to Gmail it's ridiculous. I have about had it with Apple completely.
wolfpackfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:02 PM   #2
bcohen7719
macrumors newbie

icloud and Thunderbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpackfan View Post
Okay, I've been struggling with setting iCloud email up in Thunderbird ever since iCloud was released. When I use IMAP server mail.me.com it connects about half the time. The other times I get an error message. I found an Apple support posting that said use imap.mail.me.com with login xxxx@me.com. This form rejects all the time. What is the secret with using iCloud's IMAP server? Anyone using iCloud in Thunderbird successfully? I have to say I am so close just going back to Gmail it's ridiculous. I have about had it with Apple completely.

Right now, it appears hopeless. I've tried various settings, re-naming of the outgoing server, and ports. No cigar. There is apparently silence on the Mozilla forum except for someone indicating that there was a posting on "Bugzilla," which I guess means begging someone to invent a work-around. I e-chatted with someone at Apple Tech Support and he said that iCloud does not support Thunderbird.

So it goes.
bcohen7719 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:06 PM   #3
rowley
macrumors 6502

imap server p02-imap.mail.me.com
username xxx@me.com
password xxx

if that does not work, try p01, or p03
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:17 PM   #4
IcyBloke
macrumors newbie

Thanks rowley!

I was having this exact same problem, your post has sorted it.

For info, I used the imap server p02-imap.mail.me.com with username in the form xxxxxxx@me.com exactly as suggested.
IcyBloke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:58 PM   #5
TerrorCorp
macrumors newbie

Gracias (Thank you)

Hola soy de Chile, y hace mucho tiempo buscaba la manera de usar mi cliente de correo con el correo xxxx@me.com
saludos a todos desde Chile y muchas gracias
pd: me funcionů con el "p02"

(((Hello I'm from Chile, and has long sought a way to use my email client with mail xxxx@me.com
Greetings to all from Chile and thank you very much
pd: I ran the "p02"))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowley View Post
username xxx@me.com
password xxx

TerrorCorp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 07:27 PM   #6
BerGaur
macrumors regular

Joygasm!

Quote:
username xxx@me.com
password xxx

Holy Crap stink killing a worm on steroids, THAT WORKED. I was just about ready to give up and it worked.
BerGaur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 05:33 AM   #7
thuldai
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to thuldai
What I found here (https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0) posted by user "arrow7" seems a bit simpler:

imap.mail.me.com (ssl 993)
smtp.mail.me.com (StartTLS 587)

authentication: "normal password" in both cases

then make sure that IMAP folders are properly configured in the account settings... sent, draft, trash, junk, archive, ... i.e. that everything goes where it has to, exclusively to IMAP folders, and not anywhere else. Thunderbird allows you to tweak that very precisely, so do it.

edit: forgot to say, don't use Mozilla IMAP/SMTP detected settings for iCloud mail, this won't work, switch to manual config and do as I said.

just one thing, IDLE doesn't seem to be supported on iCloud servers right now, mails must be fetched every x minutes or manually.
thuldai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:18 PM   #8
neverman0
macrumors newbie

Quote:
username xxx@me.com
password xxx

Thank you! I've had no problems using the traditional imap configuration with MobileMe since 2010 in Thunderbird, then iCloud.......until now. p01 resolved in 2013! Outstanding!
neverman0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2014, 07:10 PM   #9
stixpuffy
macrumors newbie

found the solution!

I loaded a couple of screenshots of what I did to get it to work. This is for Thunderbird 31.0

thanks for the help on this guys.
Sean

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tbird1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	484451

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tbird2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	484452
stixpuffy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 04:10 PM   #10
satcomer
macrumors 68040

I am surprised no one posted the Apple link iCloud: Mail server settings for email clients.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services