Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I'm trying to figure out how to ensure that I don't accidentally backup and thus transmit massive loads of data via my iPhone via the cloud, whether via normal data usage or via tethering (usually my MacBook or iPad is tethered). Since I'm capped at 2GB for tethering, I've been concerned that my iPad/MacBook might initiate an iCloud backup while it's tethered and suck up the 2GB allotted in no time. Is this a valid concern or are these backups actually incremental in nature (where only changes are backed up after the original backup file has been generated)?

If you have a similar plan like me (unlimited data with a 2GB hotspot) how did you personally set up your iCloud settings?

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
If I understand you right, you won't have a problem. On both the iPhone and iPad, back up only occurs when the device is plugged in, locked, and connected to wifi. So no worries about backing up over 3G. Mail, contacts, calendar, reminders, safari bookmarks, document edits only and photos sync over 3G, but don't back up.

To see this, go to setting>iCloud>Back>Storage & Backup

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Yeah I sounded too convoluted before. :D

Basically, I was trying to determine whether using "personal hotspot" was still considered Wi-Fi by iCloud, and if that's the case, theoretically my iPad/MacBooks could still send backups this way, not realizing the hotspot created is actually utilizing 3G coverage even unlike a normal Wi-Fi network. That's why I was a bit concerned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.