Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:29 PM   #1
braddick
macrumors 68030

How to Determine if your iPhone 4S is Unlocked?

I purchased my iPhone 4S for the full price via Apple website and it was delivered on the 14th. Last night I had to restore it and honestly can't recall if an unlocked screen came up or not.

Is there a way of checking within to tell if it is the unlocked version vs the locked one (without having to go through the restore process again)?

I'm on AT&T.
Thanks!
braddick is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:49 PM   #2
shanmugam
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
I purchased my iPhone 4S for the full price via Apple website and it was delivered on the 14th. Last night I had to restore it and honestly can't recall if an unlocked screen came up or not.

Is there a way of checking within to tell if it is the unlocked version vs the locked one (without having to go through the restore process again)?

I'm on AT&T.
Thanks!
are you from US? full priced iPhone 4S not available here yet (at least on the online apple store) ...

one way is to check try some other SIM card like t-mobile sim card
shanmugam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:11 PM   #3
ste1164
macrumors 6502a

Or restore it. I think unlocked ones say congratulations your iPhone is unlocked after you restore them.
ste1164 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:45 PM   #4
mobutt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1164 View Post
Or restore it. I think unlocked ones say congratulations your iPhone is unlocked after you restore them.
Yup, I bought a full priced one in the apple store, said this when I restored. Tried a t-mobile sim and it worked perfectly too.
mobutt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:11 PM   #5
braddick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1164 View Post
I swear, I think I saw that screen. Just not 100% sure.
Now, when someone goes to purchase a 4S down the road and it is touted as being unlocked is there a way of confirming that just checking the iPhone's software?
If so, where is that located?
braddick is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:42 PM   #6
AlohaMaui
macrumors member

Dont think so.

Just have to pop in a tmobile SIM to make sure.

Also, in the future, there might be a jailbreak on OS5 and iphone 4s.
So, if you want an unlocked phone then, it might be a jailbroken phone and not a factory unlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
I swear, I think I saw that screen. Just not 100% sure.
Now, when someone goes to purchase a 4S down the road and it is touted as being unlocked is there a way of confirming that just checking the iPhone's software?
If so, where is that located?
AlohaMaui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:01 AM   #7
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

I had a factory unlocked iPhone 4, now I have a locked iPhone 4S (I think, haven't tried, live in México)

and no, unlocked ones do not say congratulations blah blah... only phones that get unlocked by the carriers say that
apollo1444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:47 AM   #8
benguild
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1444 View Post
I had a factory unlocked iPhone 4, now I have a locked iPhone 4S (I think, haven't tried, live in México)

and no, unlocked ones do not say congratulations blah blah... only phones that get unlocked by the carriers say that
that's not true, my iPhone that I bought that was unlocked said that when I first attached it to iTunes.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:55 AM   #9
heyloo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1444 View Post
They do actually. I missed my "Congratulations..." message the first time around. I'm suspecting it was because I went through the initial setup on my iPhone rather than plugging it into iTunes first, but I can't be sure. I wanted to make sure that I had an unlocked one, so I reset my phone to factory settings and started over again - iTunes gave me the "Congratulations..." message. I bought mine off-contract from an Apple retail store.
heyloo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:59 AM   #10
Nermal

I restored my factory-unlocked 4S yesterday and did not get the "congratulations" screen. I did the initial setup inside iTunes.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:27 AM   #11
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyloo View Post
They do actually. I missed my "Congratulations..." message the first time around. I'm suspecting it was because I went through the initial setup on my iPhone rather than plugging it into iTunes first, but I can't be sure. I wanted to make sure that I had an unlocked one, so I reset my phone to factory settings and started over again - iTunes gave me the "Congratulations..." message. I bought mine off-contract from an Apple retail store.
mine never did...weird...
apollo1444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone