Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I purchased my iPhone 4S for the full price via Apple website and it was delivered on the 14th. Last night I had to restore it and honestly can't recall if an unlocked screen came up or not.

Is there a way of checking within to tell if it is the unlocked version vs the locked one (without having to go through the restore process again)?

I'm on AT&T.
Thanks!

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
I purchased my iPhone 4S for the full price via Apple website and it was delivered on the 14th. Last night I had to restore it and honestly can't recall if an unlocked screen came up or not.

Is there a way of checking within to tell if it is the unlocked version vs the locked one (without having to go through the restore process again)?

I'm on AT&T.
Thanks!

are you from US? full priced iPhone 4S not available here yet (at least on the online apple store) ...

one way is to check try some other SIM card like t-mobile sim card

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
Or restore it. I think unlocked ones say congratulations your iPhone is unlocked after you restore them.

mobutt

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Or restore it. I think unlocked ones say congratulations your iPhone is unlocked after you restore them.

Yup, I bought a full priced one in the apple store, said this when I restored. Tried a t-mobile sim and it worked perfectly too.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA

I swear, I think I saw that screen. Just not 100% sure.
Now, when someone goes to purchase a 4S down the road and it is touted as being unlocked is there a way of confirming that just checking the iPhone's software?
If so, where is that located?

AlohaMaui

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
Dont think so.

Just have to pop in a tmobile SIM to make sure.

Also, in the future, there might be a jailbreak on OS5 and iphone 4s.
So, if you want an unlocked phone then, it might be a jailbroken phone and not a factory unlock.

I swear, I think I saw that screen. Just not 100% sure.
Now, when someone goes to purchase a 4S down the road and it is touted as being unlocked is there a way of confirming that just checking the iPhone's software?
If so, where is that located?

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
I had a factory unlocked iPhone 4, now I have a locked iPhone 4S (I think, haven't tried, live in México)

and no, unlocked ones do not say congratulations blah blah... only phones that get unlocked by the carriers say that

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2003
I had a factory unlocked iPhone 4, now I have a locked iPhone 4S (I think, haven't tried, live in México)

and no, unlocked ones do not say congratulations blah blah... only phones that get unlocked by the carriers say that

that's not true, my iPhone that I bought that was unlocked said that when I first attached it to iTunes.

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY

They do actually. I missed my "Congratulations..." message the first time around. I'm suspecting it was because I went through the initial setup on my iPhone rather than plugging it into iTunes first, but I can't be sure. I wanted to make sure that I had an unlocked one, so I reset my phone to factory settings and started over again - iTunes gave me the "Congratulations..." message. I bought mine off-contract from an Apple retail store.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I restored my factory-unlocked 4S yesterday and did not get the "congratulations" screen. I did the initial setup inside iTunes.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
They do actually. I missed my "Congratulations..." message the first time around. I'm suspecting it was because I went through the initial setup on my iPhone rather than plugging it into iTunes first, but I can't be sure. I wanted to make sure that I had an unlocked one, so I reset my phone to factory settings and started over again - iTunes gave me the "Congratulations..." message. I bought mine off-contract from an Apple retail store.

mine never did...weird...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.