Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:40 PM   #1
dwservingHim
macrumors newbie

Only one side of headphone/speaker is working

Hey guys,
So I have a 15" Macbook Pro and the other day while trying out a subwoofer I got, it started playing only out one side of the headphones or speakers. I know it's not the headphones cause I've tried it on other devices and no matter what is plugged in to it, on only comes out one side.
From the forums I've read it doesn't seem to be a sound card or the logic board, otherwise it wouldn't be working at all. The most logical explanation is that the connection inside the jack is messed up.

Does anyone know how to fix this without having to take it in? Even a diagram of inside the headphone jack would be appreciated. Thanks.
dwservingHim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:21 PM   #2
derickdub
macrumors 6502

Are you sure it's a hardware problem? Have you checked the balance in your sound settings? You could also get some compressed air blow it in the jack with the opening facing down, something could have gotten in there and is keeping you from getting a good connection.

If all else fails you would probably need a logic board replacement since the connectors are built into it. At least on the newer unibody models.
derickdub is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:24 PM   #3
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Be sure to make sure that your balance is set in the middle on system preferences.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-10-25 at 8.23.34 PM.png
Views:	525
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	309241
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:30 PM   #4
derickdub
macrumors 6502

Also note that balance is independent of output, so just because it was working fine with the internal speakers doesn't mean it still can't be the balance with external speakers. OS X will remember the setting for each and automatically adjust them based on what output is selected.

You could also try a PRAM reset, but I doubt it will do anything.
derickdub is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:38 PM   #5
dwservingHim
macrumors newbie

Hey,
Yeah, checking the balance was one of the first things I did and that's not the issue. Also, from every forum I've read, it seemed like when the logic board went out it affected both side of the speakers, but this is only one. I may need to do that in the end though. Furthermore I already tried the PRAM reset and that didn't do that magic either. I've taken a cue tip with some rubbing alcohol on it and cleaned out the jack, but again no luck. Any other ideas or a diagram? Thanks for your responses though.
dwservingHim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:09 AM   #6
dandanapple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickdub View Post
Are you sure it's a hardware problem? Have you checked the balance in your sound settings? You could also get some compressed air blow it in the jack with the opening facing down, something could have gotten in there and is keeping you from getting a good connection.

If all else fails you would probably need a logic board replacement since the connectors are built into it. At least on the newer unibody models.
I found this thread when searching for my problem, and for me it was a simple balance issue. Thanks for the input!
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:04 PM   #7
messedup
macrumors newbie

hey did u get any solution
even my macbook pro is giving same problem
messedup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 05:51 PM   #8
johnnnw
macrumors 6502a

I got my Macbook a few months and just using the headphone jack for the first time.

It's only working in the right earphone Balance is correct. Also it's not the headphones

I'm fairly pissed
johnnnw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:54 PM   #9
BalzacFlaubert
macrumors newbie

I had this issue with my new 15" Rmbp (speaker balance was fine, however any headphones would play back on right channel only), and it seems I've fixed it.

I went into the Sound settings, in System Preferences. With the headphones plugged into the phone jack, I checked the balance settings, and to my dismay they balance knob seemed fine and centered. I played with the knob and re-centered it, and this mysteriously seems to have fixed it. Now the audio is playing balanced through headphones.
BalzacFlaubert is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro