Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Combing TONS of posts on macrumors regarding this subject and following the instructions/advice, I'm still am unable to accomplish the goal. Thought this thread could put it to bed once and for all and stand to help others looking for consolidated information.

Particulars:

• Running iOS 3.1.2
  • BB 05.11.07
  • All blobs saved. (but I understand this is not needed)
  • Jailbroken and unlocked via blackra1n.

Crystal-RX said:
Don't every do this [click on "Erase All Content and Settings"]. If you do, your phone will hang.

Since you have 3G, you can just restore it to 3.1.3 where you do not need SHSH blob to do it and you still can keep your baseband at 05.13 where you can unlock it with Ultrasn0w.

As I already saved the official iOS 3.1.2 from the iClarified link long ago, I downloaded the corresponding Pwnage Tool -- Version 3.1.4 to follow the advice here (but keeping consistent with my installed iOS 3.1.2):

bytethese said:
A restore won't wipe any data. I'd recommend Erase All Content and Settings, then restore a Pwned firmware created from Pwnage Tool. You can use a 3.1.3 firmware and it will keep your baseband at 05.11.07.

I went this route because numerous posts stated that restoring to a Custom Pwned firmware was necessary so as to not lose the 05.11.07 BB.

HOWEVER, when doing this, I encountered the dreaded, "Wrong firmware bundle selected." This version of the Pwnage Tool also alerted me on startup that I wasn't running an iTunes 8.0 or later version (currently running iTunes 10.5).

So I went back to the drawing board, re-downloading the official iOS 3.1.2 (using Firefox). That didn't work.

In searching solutions to THIS issue, I tried creating a Custom .ispw by downloading iOS 3.1.3 with Pwnage Tool 3.1.5, but still got the same error.

I have the strange suspicion I'm making this more difficult than it is.

Many Thanks!

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
1. Download 3.1.3 firmware to your computer.
2. Put your Iphone into DFU mode, hit shift + restore (if you have pc) or Option + restore (if you have Mac), then point it to 3.1.3 firmware.
3. Itunes will restore it completely and you will not receive any error message.
4. Your phone will boot to emergency screen. Either activate it with original sim or hactivate with redsn0w.
5. If you activate with original sim, then jailbreak it with spirit, redsn0w or jailbreakme.com
6. Unlock it with ultrasn0w.

since you phone is upgrading from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3, your baseband will also upgrade to 05.13. However, with this baseband, ultrasn0w still works and unlock it without any problem.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Is there any way around the Pwnage Tool "Wrong firmware bundle selected" error?

Any reason why I shouldn't restore to 3.1.2 as that's the system the phone is current on? If that was done, would the 05.11.07 BB still be able to be maintained?

If a person wants to 100% insure all personal data is wiped off the phone, should "Erase All Content and Settings," put the phone in DFU mode, restore to 3.1.3 (or 3.1.2), jailbreak, and unlock?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Any reason why I shouldn't restore to 3.1.2 as that's the system the phone is current on? If that was done, would the 05.11.07 BB still be able to be maintained?

If a person wants to 100% insure all personal data is wiped off the phone, should "Erase All Content and Settings," put the phone in DFU mode, restore to 3.1.3 (or 3.1.2), jailbreak, and unlock?

You can use 3.1.2 if you want.
You can do an erase all on a stock firmware but if you do that on a JB phone it will never finish and it will be stuck in a recovery boot loop and will need a DFU restore.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA

"Erase all content and setting" only works on non-jailbroken phone, yours is jailbroken and that the reason it hang.

So, like AJ said, you can just restore it to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 as per my instruction. Forget about the Pwnage tool. Why do you need that and make thing more complicate.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
You can use 3.1.2 if you want.
You can do an erase all on a stock firmware but if you do that on a JB phone it will never finish and it will be stuck in a recovery boot loop and will need a DFU restore.

"Erase all content and setting" only works on non-jailbroken phone, yours is jailbroken and that the reason it hang.

So, like AJ said, you can just restore it to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 as per my instruction. Forget about the Pwnage tool. Why do you need that and make thing more complicate.

So do you guys think restoring to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 is good enough for "deleting" the data? Or would a more secure thing to do be to restore to a stock firmware, run "Erase All Content and Settings," THEN jailbreak with redsn0w, and unlock with ultrasn0w?

Message received regarding Pwnage Tool. It's quite quirky when going that far back in time. :)

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Big thanks to Applejuiced and Crystal-RX for all your help and patience (and humor)! :)

Epilogue: Restored to a stock firmware. Jailbroke with redsn0w. Launched Cydia. Things were going fine until it got over the initial screens. After that, it hung at "Loading Data." Searched on here and went with the solution to start the process over and jailbreak with jailbreakme.com. Cydia again hung for quite some time then quit on its own. Relaunched and everything was fine. Unlocked with ultrasn0w. Ready to sell!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.