Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
as the title says, did u disable USAGE and DIAGNOSTICS under system services? my question is, does disabling that will no longer monitor my 3G Data usage or that has nothing to do with it?

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I disabled it because it tracks your location and provides that info to Apple. Also, there's no telling how much it bogs down your device when logging everything.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I disabled it because it tracks your location and provides that info to Apple. Also, there's no telling how much it bogs down your device when logging everything.

Same here. Don't want it using my battery to log my location.. Don't see why Apple would need to know that was at McDonalds when the photo app crashed in the background while I was eating a Whopper..

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Same here. Don't want it using my battery to log my location.. Don't see why Apple would need to know that was at McDonalds when the photo app crashed in the background while I was eating a Whopper..

Your biggest problem might be eating a Whopper in McDonalds. Don't think the workers will be happy with that.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I disabled it because it tracks your location and provides that info to Apple.

I'm curious what information it provides that tracks or locates you?

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
I'm curious what information it provides that tracks or locates you?

go to settings > general > about > Diagnostics & Usage > Diagnostics & Usage Data ...

they provide A LOT of data, especially if youre jailbroken, they know which tweaks youre using, what websites youre visiting, etc.

DELTAsnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Australia
Can you actually stop the iPhone from running and making diagnostics? I think thats what's killing my battery if it's a software problem. I get more awdd diagnostics in a day on my 4S than my 4 has since the iPhone 4 launch.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
You can send Apple the diagnostics without them tracking you (or so I think anyhow)...if you go into Location Services and disable the "diagnostics" tab it won't be able to record your position...but will still send the data.

Do you all agree?

joflo723

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2010
go to settings > general > about > Diagnostics & Usage > Diagnostics & Usage Data ...

Wow...that's a lot of data in there. I've selected Don't Send...but is there a way to delete what's in there already? Or does it really amount to that much data being stored? And what are the drawbacks to not sending this to Apple?

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I only disabled location based i ads and setting time zone and i got more than good battery life! Even with those i still had good battery life

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Thanks for the info, its some useless logging process i guess.

my photos will still be geotagged right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.