Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

samsung_logo.jpg

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that an Australian judge has agreed to fast-track Samsung's appeal of an injunction barring the company from selling its Galaxy Tab 10.1 in that country. Samsung had previously said that it would likely cancel the device's launch entirely in Australia if Apple was awarded an injunction, but the company is still pushing forward in an attempt to win the right to sell.
In court today Samsung sought and has been granted an expedited hearing by the Federal Court in Sydney, hoping to overturn the ban before the busy pre-Christmas shopping season.

"I'm quite firm of the view that the matter should proceed on the basis that the lead application be referred to a full court, that it be listed at the same time as any prospective appeal and that the matter be expedited," Justice Lindsay Foster said.
Meanwhile, Apple has also begun going after Internet resellers who have continued to sell the Galaxy Tab 10.1 to Australian customers despite the ban. Two sites, MobiCity.com.au and dMavo.com.au, have acknowledged receiving letters from Apple, but dMavo at least has reported that it will not be responding to Apple's demands. The report notes that while injunctions against individual sellers should be rather straightforward for Apple to obtain given the standing order against Samsung, a number of the resellers are headquartered in Hong Kong and it may take some time to determine whether Australian authorities have jurisdiction over their actions.

Article Link: Samsung's Appeal of Australian Galaxy Tab Ban Fast-Tracked as Apple Targets Resellers

Ib21

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
I'm sorry, but the banning of these products anywhere is ridiculous. Is Apple that scared of the Galaxy Tab? If the iPad is as amazing and great as all would have you believe, then shouldn't it outsell anything else on it's own merits? I'm sorry, but stifling the competition like this is so borderline fascist its insane. Oh, and I own an iMac, iPad 2, and a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone....

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

ouimetnick said:
Good artists copy, great artists steal.

I'm so bored of people taking that quote out of context.

Wasn't funny or relevant the first time it was used here and it still isn't today.

Trozetar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Reading, Pa
Tab

“Is the Galaxy Tab 10.1 even relevant any more to the tablet market? Surely by this point they could have created something new. “ (-- My Co-worker

Though I see his point, I think before Samsung could release anything new, they’d almost have to at least get some sort of win here, otherwise Apple will just try the same thing on the next tablet. What say you?

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)I'm so bored of people taking that quote out of context.

Wasn't funny or relevant the first time it was used here and it still isn't today.

I'm so bored of people thinking Apple gets exclusive rights to everything they want.

Wasn't true the first time it was used here and it still isn't today.

----------

So you would let people steal your ideas? you'd be okay with that?

Which idea was stolen? Be very specific.

AAPLDroid

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
People who wants a Galaxy Tab in Australia can still easily get them from more than just two Resellers.

The only ones hurting are the various Australian retailers who will miss out on the revenue shares. Samsung will still get their money either way.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I'm so bored of people thinking Apple gets exclusive rights to everything they want.

----------

The courts seem to agree that the idea is the design and the millions of dollars of invested time mean something. You on the other hand think companies should just wait for someone else to come up with a successful product then make a carbon copy of the parts that appeal to consumers. You people really piss me off!!!!

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010

----------

How about the whole look and feel of the iPad? why didn't they release this before the iPad? or show designs that they were working on this before the iPad was launched?

They couldn't as they've ripped it off.

But lets not deal with the actual facts as proven in court, lets go off to the land of retard and listen to what you have to say.

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Read the legal arguments in these court cases. That should be all the explanation you need.

Ah yes, the ridiculous ones that have no particular technical validity. "Grid of colorful icons". I'm glad we had Steve to give us that. It definitely required "true genius".

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The courts seem to agree that the idea is the design and the millions of dollars of invested time mean something. You on the other hand think companies should just wait for someone else to come up with a successful product then make a carbon copy of the parts that appeal to consumers. You people really piss me off!!!!

Actually, we don't quite know what the court in Australia agrees to. The ban over there is not about design, but about patents and I don't think I've seen the specifics of which Australian patents Samsung is said to possibly infringe (remember, this is a pre-trial injunction, nothing has been decided).

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010

They're becoming two a penny round here, which is a shame as Apple folk are leaving for the brain-dead Android knuckle-draggers

Last edited by a moderator:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Ah yes, the ridiculous ones that have no particular technical validity. "Grid of colorful icons". I'm glad we had Steve to give us that. It definitely required "true genius".

That's only true in Germany. The Dutch ruled that those don't apply. Here we're discussing the Australian case.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I'm sorry, but the banning of these products anywhere is ridiculous.

Why? Companies are allowed to apply to the courts for injunctions when they feel their IP has been infringed on.

In this case, the courts seem to agree with Apple. There are currently injunctions against Samsung. None against Apple. Seems pretty clear what's going on.
Is Apple that scared of the Galaxy Tab?

They're probably scared of someone infringing on their IP and getting away with it unchallenged. Apple has put Samsung's product to legal tests. The product has failed these tests in notable cases. Hence, the injunctions that are currently in force against Samsung. Hence, Apple's case.

If the iPad is as amazing and great as all would have you believe, then shouldn't it outsell anything else on it's own merits?

Clearly, it is.

But succeeding on its own merits and defending IP are different things.
I'm sorry, but stifling the competition like this is so borderline fascist its insane. Oh, and I own an iMac, iPad 2, and a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone....

Fair competition is most welcome. Competition that likes to test the legal waters and continue infringing despite injunctions is open to legal claim. This goes for anyone. Again, it would appear that Apple has a legitimate case. If they didn't, injunctions against Samsung would not have been granted and enforced.

No one cares about the products you own.

Last edited:

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011

See my previous comment. Courts get things wrong all the time, especially when it comes to technology. Do you think it took millions of dollars of invested time to come up with the outward design of the iPad? Do you think it took Samsung millions of dollars of invested time to come up with their extremely similar photo frame? Do you think Samsung shouldn't be allowed to maintain a consistent look and feel from one product line to another?

Do some soul-searching about why this pisses you off. You might be surprised.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

something3153 said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)I'm so bored of people taking that quote out of context.

----------

So you would let people steal your ideas? you'd be okay with that?

Are you insinuating that I think that Apple should get "exclusive rights to everything they want."? If so, why?

I'm sick and tired of people misusing that quote and posting the YouTube video to justify what Samsung are or are not guilty of.

It's childish and adds bugger all to the discussion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.