Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:01 PM   #1
TonyBaloney
macrumors regular

Hide text previews from lock screen?

hey all, Im trying to figure something out. I like having text previews appear in banner notifications but I think its stupid to display messages in the lock screen (whats the point of passcode then lol). Now I know how to turn off lock screen display but then there is no visual notification at all. Conversely, I can turn off text preview so it just says "[name] text message". But this also turns off text preview in banner notifications.

My question is: is there a way to keep previews in banner notifications while secure (no preview) notifications in the lock screen? thanks
TonyBaloney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Stuke00
macrumors 6502a

Settings > Notifications > Messages > turn off "View in Lock Screen"
Stuke00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:24 PM   #3
sportsfrk214
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuke00 View Post
Settings > Notifications > Messages > turn off "View in Lock Screen"
That is not what the OP wanted. He said he wanted a notification on the home screen that did not contain the text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBaloney View Post
Conversely, I can turn off text preview so it just says "[name] text message". But this also turns off text preview in banner notifications.
Here are your two choices.

1) Show Preview ON:
-Text content WILL appear on Lock Screen, Banner, and Notification Center

2) Show Preview OFF:
-Text content WILL NOT appear on Lock Screen and Banner
-Text content WILL appear on Notification Center

I understand that neither is exactly what you want, but choice 2 is not a terrible compromise I think. You'll lose having a text preview on the banner, but you will retain that preview in Notification Center. It's the closest you'll get to what you're looking for with the current settings choices. Hope this helps
sportsfrk214 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Jladd4420
macrumors newbie

should have read the whole post before i replied lol.
Jladd4420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:12 PM   #5
TonyBaloney
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfrk214 View Post
That is not what the OP wanted. He said he wanted a notification on the home screen that did not contain the text.

Here are your two choices.

1) Show Preview ON:
-Text content WILL appear on Lock Screen, Banner, and Notification Center

2) Show Preview OFF:
-Text content WILL NOT appear on Lock Screen and Banner
-Text content WILL appear on Notification Center

I understand that neither is exactly what you want, but choice 2 is not a terrible compromise I think. You'll lose having a text preview on the banner, but you will retain that preview in Notification Center. It's the closest you'll get to what you're looking for with the current settings choices. Hope this helps
Right now I'm using option 2. You're right. It's not that big of a deal but it would be nice to have previews while you're in your phone instead of having to travel to the message app everytime yet keeping them hidden in the lock screen. Thanks though
TonyBaloney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:25 PM   #6
freedevil
macrumors 6502a

Once you can jailbreak there's a great app called LockMessages it can also encrypt names on lock screen, banners etc. It always asks for passcode whenever trying to access messages.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier