Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:05 PM   #26
Rocko1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
Does the internet work internationally?
You must not know about China I see. Communist countries hate the internet.
Rocko1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:46 PM   #27
spank13
macrumors newbie

It works for AT&T but still utilizes your phones data plan. If you get on wifi then it's free.
spank13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:33 PM   #28
phon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
You must not know about China I see. Communist countries hate the internet.
phon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:03 PM   #29
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Quick View Post
I see, that seems like a pain!
Didn't know any part of the world would do that to their users, seems silly!

But you can use either number or mail or both to receive iMessages at. Have you tried both by adding the second?

You can only do the opposite, but there is a way around it, if you don't want a charge then turn the phone into flight mode and turn on wifi and send a message to make sure you are not getting charged.

NP.
well it works fine for me! I was quoting some user in here about imessage not working in china.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:14 AM   #30
thewitt
macrumors 68000

iMessage works fine in China. I use it every day...
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:04 AM   #31
everdown
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
Yep. It works for me as well here in Beijing. Occasionally, I get the green text bubble instead of the imessage bubble, but most often it just means there is a problem with my network (wifi/3g) connection. Nothing that a power cycle hasn't been able to fix. Though, I do have a friend here in the city who has a Chinese iPhone 4S, but iMessage doesn't work with him so...
everdown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:45 PM   #32
rdx2012
macrumors newbie

iMessage - International SMS

I have been billed for SMS i sent to US from Australia which showed up on my iPhone as iMessage (blue bubble). My Phone and SMS Carrier (Optus ##@$ers) said that SMS may have gone from my phone as iMessage but may not have been received as iMessage (Sounds like loads of rubbish).
Well point is it may depends a lot on your service provider. Try few message and see if in your next bill you are getting charged for it. if not well and good. if you are better use apps like 'VIBER' or 'Whatsapp'. Other person must also have those apps on their smartphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Quick View Post
Then using anything against the internet would not work as its basically the same thing.

I'm guessing he hasn't enabled iMessage in the settings..
rdx2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:49 PM   #33
Scott2345
macrumors regular

Yup, I text my friends in the US all the time. I'm currently located in Bolivia.
Scott2345 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:41 PM   #34
ercsliberty
macrumors 6502

it sure does between the us and europe
ercsliberty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:00 PM   #35
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaBrit View Post
I live in China and iMessage doe not work for me, at least it does not work internationally. Everything leaves as SMS.
I spent 13 hours in Beijing on my way to thailand and the Philippines and iMessage worked just fine, I've never had a problem sending iMessages from ANYWHERE in the world
Old Jul 31, 2014, 09:59 AM   #36
aug13
macrumors newbie

The cellphone number I have is correct and it won't work. Should I try using the email address?
aug13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:29 AM   #37
rui no onna
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aug13 View Post
The cellphone number I have is correct and it won't work. Should I try using the email address?
You can try. Are you sure whoever you're trying to contact has an iOS device and has iMessage enabled in the first place?

Keep in mind, international cellphone numbers must formatted as follows in order to work (without the greater than/less than symbols):

+<country code><area code><phone number>
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:17 AM   #38
zorinlynx
macrumors 68030

I wouldn't be surprised if China blocked iMessage, since it is encrypted and the Chinese government has no way to eavesdrop on the messages.

The Chinese government doesn't trust its citizens, in fact, it's the other way around, they are ridiculously paranoid and thus demand to be able to spy on everything, everyone, and censor anything on a whim. This hurts people who are just trying to communicate securely. I feel badly for the Chinese who have to deal with this all the time.

SMS is trivial for the government to eavesdrop on, so that's why it's allowed. But you will likely have to pay for SMS to and from China.

You might try using newer services that the Chinese government might not have blocked yet, like Telegram.
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:17 PM   #39
stevejobz
macrumors member

when i went overseas my imessage worked and it was amazing to have it i didnt need to buy sms package or minutes or anything when i had wifi it was good enough or it just used from my data package i bought like 300mb and it was enough for like a month.
stevejobz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 07:32 AM   #40
shotts56
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
It worked fine for me too in China when I was there last year, I was able to imessage my wife back in the UK no problem at all. I was using a local China Telecom SIM card though, rather than my own one from home. Maybe that had something to do with it.
shotts56 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:30 AM   #41
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000

My brother worked in Ecuador for a few weeks and we were able to talk via iMessage.
LSUtigers03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 07:13 PM   #42
chupachup
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
Just curious if I (living in the U.S.) can send SMS and MMS via iMessage for free to a friend in the U.K.
Yes of course.

Think of it like WhatsApp or MSN Messenger. If 2 people have an iOS device, they can imessage. Location doesn't matter. All chat apps work the same way.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if China blocked iMessage, since it is encrypted and the Chinese government has no way to eavesdrop on the messages.

The Chinese government doesn't trust its citizens, in fact, it's the other way around, they are ridiculously paranoid and thus demand to be able to spy on everything, everyone, and censor anything on a whim. This hurts people who are just trying to communicate securely. I feel badly for the Chinese who have to deal with this all the time.

SMS is trivial for the government to eavesdrop on, so that's why it's allowed. But you will likely have to pay for SMS to and from China.

You might try using newer services that the Chinese government might not have blocked yet, like Telegram.
I think the only way to do that is for them to sell iphones without an sms app.
chupachup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 07:21 PM   #43
hovscorpion12
macrumors 6502

iMesssage works with all iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch running iOS 7+. iMessage also works on Mac OSX 10.8+. iMessage does not care about national or international. All iMessage cares about is a phone number or email.
hovscorpion12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2014, 02:27 PM   #44
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

Yes!

Been traveling to ecuador and south east Asia. I use my email as the sender and received for iMessages so that my contacts don't get new phone numbers from me since I get a sim from each new country. Great way to keep in touch and love iMessage. It's definitely a great apple feature since everyone I text had iMessage.
1rottenapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2014, 02:33 PM   #45
LorenzMeir
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
Just curious if I (living in the U.S.) can send SMS and MMS via iMessage for free to a friend in the U.K.
Your carrier will charge you only for cellular data, if you are not connected to Wi-Fi. SMS and MMS are completely other services and do not require internet.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone