Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcunite

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Is there a way to lock the screen or disable the screen on an iPhone 4 iOS 5 device while during a call? I am repeatly muting calls or somehow my face is pressing the FaceTime button.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Your proximity sensor should turn the screen off. Do you have a screen protector or something blocking it?

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
Jailbreak get Calllock it auto locks screen to prevent the proximity sensor issue.

pcunite

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Your proximity sensor should turn the screen off. Do you have a screen protector or something blocking it?

I have the OtterBox Impact, but also have a matte screen over the proximity sensor. Perhaps if I shade the matte cover with a sharpie?

Last edited:

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
I had this problem using a case that just clipped round the edge, it didn't even touch the front of the phone and yet I still kept muting people with my face.

never happened with a Bumper, which covered more of the front face of the iPhone, totally confused me, so now i just don't bother with a case, it looks much nicer without it anyway.

a way I found of getting round it while on a call, is to bring up the keypad, yes you may press a few numbers with your face, but at least it can't mute.

Last edited:

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Just lock the screen with the sleep/wake button. It will bring you to the lock screen at first, but the screen will then go off, or you can force it to actually go off when you press sleep/wake again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.