Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:08 AM   #1
BarkingGhost
macrumors regular

iMac video output to projector?

Is anyone using their Thunderbolt-equipped 2011 iMac to output the desktop (either mirrored or extended) to a projector using the projector's HDMI/DVI input?

Also, what is the specification for Thunderbolt as implemented for video output in terms of cable length limitations?
BarkingGhost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:04 AM   #2
BarkingGhost
macrumors regular

+250 views and no responses. Bummer.

Anyway, I was told at the Apple store that I could buy an adapter to output to HDMI, which would carry audio to the AVR, and then from there video to one of the home theater projectors.

The theater is in the basement, and the large adjacent room has my wife's desk and computers (now including a 27" i7Mac). I wanted to see if there was a way to use the projector to either mirror the desktop, or extend it for playing images, videos, etc. and control it from the theater.

Unfortunately, the Apple remote I am told is not RF/Bluetooth and is line-of-site (is it IR?). So, I am now looking for an app for the iPad that could afford me to use the iPad as a remote for the i7Mac in this need.
BarkingGhost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:36 PM   #3
DMac2020
macrumors newbie

Smile

I hear ya. I have the same situation. 27" iMac, Thunderbolt to HDMI to 50' cable to Pioneer VSX-33 Receiver to Epson projector. The cable may be too long. I'll go home & try plugging in to receiver with a 6' HDMI cable & see if that's any better. The 50 footer has those magnetic blocks on each end. Wonder if that's causing anything. Hmmm. Stay tuned...
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:50 AM   #4
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

I hook up my iMac to my TV (TB/MDP -> HDMI), but since I don't have a remote, I use screensharing on my MBA.

But! Long ago before I even had a Mac, I used to use Mobile Mouse on my iPod Touch to control my PC. It's still fairly popular, so I'd give it a try if I were you (iPod/iPhone/iPad compatible)

http://mobilemouse.com/

edit- app link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobil...8&partnerid=30

edit edit - Maybe I'll go back to Mobile Mouse now that I think about it haha

Last edited by KylePowers; Dec 14, 2011 at 01:58 AM.
KylePowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:14 AM   #5
malias4
macrumors 6502

i have a 2011 imac 21.5 base model and i use a mini dp to hdmi cable and then a hdmi to hdmi cable so i conect it to my lg hdtv to watch movies
malias4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 06:59 PM   #6
fallcreek7
macrumors newbie

I am trying to get my 21.5" iMac (mid-2011) to project to an HDMI projector (Epson EX5210) via the Mini DP using either an iAdapt v2 or Moshi Mini DP to HDMI adaptor. The iMac doesn't detect the projector and the projector says, No Signal. I'm running OS X Lion (10.7.3). The Mini DP works with VGA, just not HDMI. Are there any settings I need to change, drivers to install, or things I need to reset? Any help would be great. Thanks.
fallcreek7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac