Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:13 AM   #1
Munch
macrumors member

iPhone 4s getting warm/hot under normal use?

I just got my 4s yesterday and finding that it is getting quite warm under normal use. For instance, typing several messages in a warm makes the phone warm enough that my hands start to clam up. I don't have a problem with my hands sweating.

I've also had the phone in my pocket and feel the phone heating up, especially the side right under the SIM slot.

Playing a game can also make it warm enough that is noticeable.

Is this normal?

Note: I had a 3GS before and never felt heat like this.
Munch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:27 AM   #2
FreakinEurekan
macrumors Demi-God

From what you describe it could be normal enough. My iPhone 4 can get noticeably warm when I'm using it for an extended period, and games would certainly heat up the CPU. "Hot" would be a problem, i.e. if it feels like it could burn you, but "Warm" is normal enough.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:28 AM   #3
rick snagwell
macrumors 68040

the 4S does get warmer than the 4. might be due to the better processor.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:01 AM   #4
rgs3
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
I just got my 4s yesterday and finding that it is getting quite warm under normal use. For instance, typing several messages in a warm makes the phone warm enough that my hands start to clam up. I don't have a problem with my hands sweating.

I've also had the phone in my pocket and feel the phone heating up, especially the side right under the SIM slot.

Playing a game can also make it warm enough that is noticeable.

Is this normal?

Note: I had a 3GS before and never felt heat like this.
Under normal use the phone should be COOL to the touch. If it is hot (like mine was) you have something wrong keeping your CPU at max. In my case it was a reoccuring meeting that was glitching up my phone. Under notifications it was flashing and glitchy looking, my phone was always hot and the battery was horrendous just like everyone was complaining about. I deleted the meeting appt and all my issues went away-cool phone and excellent battery (lasts over 24 hours). I've heard several other people having this issue with a similar fix.
rgs3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:13 AM   #5
AttilaTheHun
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs3 View Post
Under normal use the phone should be COOL to the touch. If it is hot (like mine was) you have something wrong keeping your CPU at max. In my case it was a reoccuring meeting that was glitching up my phone. Under notifications it was flashing and glitchy looking, my phone was always hot and the battery was horrendous just like everyone was complaining about. I deleted the meeting appt and all my issues went away-cool phone and excellent battery (lasts over 24 hours). I've heard several other people having this issue with a similar fix.
if i watch video like live news on tv shaw its get hot
AttilaTheHun is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:20 AM   #6
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs3 View Post
This is incorrect. When you use your phone to talk it will get hot. Every single cell phone ever made does this. I used to sell cell phones.

Depending on what apps you use, and what processing those apps do, your phone could get hotter or cooler.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:26 AM   #7
duffer6
macrumors 6502

Getting Hot is a feature for us here in the North East, we just had our first snow yesterday and I was able to keep my hands nice and warm with my new iPhone 4s. LOL. The 4s does run warmer than the 4 just like the 2011 MBP run hotter than the 2010. More processing power in the same form factor will run hotter. No way around it. FYI the fact that it runs hotter should not be a concern, your phone can handle it and it is functioning within specs. Relax and enjoy your technology.
duffer6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Munch
macrumors member

Hmm... even in my pocket it is warm. But perhaps because it's glass it is absorbing my body's heat more than the plastic on the 3GS was?
Munch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:13 PM   #9
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

same here my 4S gets warm when I use it a lot, also if I am in the car chargiung it, I notice it gets warmer then at home with my wall charger.

I am using the Belkin Mini charger I bought at Best Buy because that was what Apple sells on their site, so I figured it had been tested and approved by Apple.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:15 PM   #10
Pink∆Floyd
Banned

Yes this is normal.

Does your PC or laptop get warm/hot under normal use? Yes, it does.

Does your TV get warm/hot under normal use? Yes, it does.

So will a phone with a powerful processor and the antenna constantly receiving/sending data in a tight, limited ventilated area get warm/hot? Yes, it will.

What's not normal is people asking/saying stupid questions/comments...
Pink∆Floyd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:16 PM   #11
wellok
macrumors 6502

Yeah, on what planet do phones stay cool to the touch? Sure, if I'm just briefly using it, but any smartphone I've ever had gets a little warm with prolonged use. If you're burning yourself like my old BB Storm liked to try to do to me, then that's a problem.
wellok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:17 PM   #12
Pink∆Floyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
same here my 4S gets warm when I use it a lot, also if I am in the car chargiung it, I notice it gets warmer then at home with my wall charger.

I am using the Belkin Mini charger I bought at Best Buy because that was what Apple sells on their site, so I figured it had been tested and approved by Apple.
Ok...

That's normal, you just said it yourself, it gets warm when you use it a lot

Pink∆Floyd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:25 PM   #13
Munch
macrumors member

Since none of you can actually feel my phone, this is all subjective. But it gets uncomfortably warm on the antenna just under the sim card slot just going through various settings menu on the phone.

Yes, I'll be taking it to the Genius bar to get it checked, but also wanted to gauge the experience of everyone else.
Munch is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:31 PM   #14
ijohnbro
Banned

does the phone get to 103f? thIS link has the situation you're talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skle7xuHkoU
ijohnbro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:14 PM   #15
ShionoyaTamaki
macrumors 6502

My iPhone gets warm when playing games etc and i expected that but not uncomfortable. My iphone 3G gets warm too. Could be heat is transferring better through metal/glass than plastic.
ShionoyaTamaki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:35 PM   #16
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

The processor IS faster so it would generate more heat, unless they've added some sort of extra cooling to it as well.

Now I'd worry if it was hot to the touch (like close to burn worthy) but warm is perfectly normal. It is, after all, essentially a computer.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 01:04 AM   #17
ijohnbro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
The processor IS faster so it would generate more heat, unless they've added some sort of extra cooling to it as well.

Now I'd worry if it was hot to the touch (like close to burn worthy) but warm is perfectly normal. It is, after all, essentially a computer.
Almost a computer lol
ijohnbro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 01:19 AM   #18
austinguy23
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The iPhone 4 got just as hot.
austinguy23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 03:11 AM   #19
Jon Boy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Since none of you can actually feel my phone, this is all subjective. But it gets uncomfortably warm on the antenna just under the sim card slot just going through various settings menu on the phone.

Yes, I'll be taking it to the Genius bar to get it checked, but also wanted to gauge the experience of everyone else.
I had the same problem when the 4 came out, i took it to apple genius and they said there was a fault, they replaced it and the second one did run cooler.

Also i know things get hot when charging but the first 4 i had got red hot and you could not touch the glass back at all, i honestly don't know how the glass did not break!
Jon Boy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone