Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 13, 2005, 10:49 PM   #1
Chrispy
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Chrispy
Powermac G3 B&W video problems need help

Hello all. I recently came into owning a G3 400MHz powermac B&W with a 16MB Rage 128 graphics card. It has worked well for about 2 days and we had a storm coming in so I unplugged it before the storm was even close. Then tonight after I plugged the computer back in (and the monitor to the VGA haha) the monitor will start to post something when I turn on the mac but then it goes black. I think the computer boots to Mac OS 10.3 but nothing will display on the monitor. Has anyone else had this problem. Please let me know. Thanks!
Chrispy is offline   0
Old May 13, 2005, 11:12 PM   #2
stevey500
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to stevey500 Send a message via MSN to stevey500
You could try re-seating the graphics card, Reset the PRam, open it up, and find the button on the Logic board next to the Power On/off button and hit it... Try again...
Old May 14, 2005, 12:03 AM   #3
Chrispy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevey500
You could try re-seating the graphics card, Reset the PRam, open it up, and find the button on the Logic board next to the Power On/off button and hit it... Try again...
Hm, I tired hitting that button and it restarts the computer. Could someone please instruct me on the keyboard commands to reset things like PRam and stuff. I know there were commands I used when I had the hack installed on my iBook for screen spanning that could be used to reset the system defaults. Thanks!
Chrispy is offline   0
Old May 14, 2005, 01:05 AM   #4
spinner
macrumors regular

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.
Old May 14, 2005, 06:35 PM   #5
Chrispy
macrumors 68020

The macrumors members pulled through again The PRAM reset did the trick. Thanks again all. While I am at it, the computer gives of a very high pitch sound for awhile after it is first turned on. Does anyone know what hardware device could be eminating this sound? Thanks!
Chrispy is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers