Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't the 2011 iMacs still support thunderbolt display (I don't mean an actual thunderbolt display btw but input via thunderbolt port) input?

Amnesiac7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't the 2011 iMacs still support thunderbolt display (I don't mean an actual thunderbolt display btw but input via thunderbolt port) input?

The new iMacs are equipped with Thunderbolt, yes, but from what I've read this is actually part of the reason why you can no longer connect a PS3 to an iMac.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
At last check, the required chip to make an HDMI->Thunderbolt adapter still wasn't available from Intel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I've been looking into this for my Xbox and it seams none of the devices that would enable you to do this will now work with Thunderbolt. I'm hoping the 2012 iMac will have this ability but I doubt it as Apple is pretty committed to Thunderbolt. Hopefully someone (please) will come up with a workaround.

steinmb

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2008
Norway
Currently waiting until 2012 model is out before making up my mind if using an iMac with PS3 is doable. The Belkin interface does not work with the current 27" iMac, and back when it worked, you only got 702p. Let's hope the new iMac get's a HDMI-port or at least try do do this work a little easier.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Elgato makes it

Elgato makes products that can make your Mac act as a DVR. These same products can be configured with their software to pass the video and sound from your PS3 to a Mac. The only problem is that you'd have to do it through the USB ports which might cause a tiny bit of lag. Look at their website and even youtube. There are a few videos that show people doing this with older Macs as well.

Amnesiac7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Elgato makes products that can make your Mac act as a DVR. These same products can be configured with their software to pass the video and sound from your PS3 to a Mac. The only problem is that you'd have to do it through the USB ports which might cause a tiny bit of lag. Look at their website and even youtube. There are a few videos that show people doing this with older Macs as well.

Would it allow for full 1080p?

Is Kanex working on something? Anybody?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Would it allow for full 1080p?

Is Kanex working on something? Anybody?

No, it won't. This might sound crazy, but you could sell your current one and pick up a previous generation iMac if you are really set on using it as a display for your PS3. There's a refurbished one on Apple's website right now.

Amnesiac7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
not ridiculous. The purpose of the iMac display is for the iMac machine not for use as an external display. You knew this before you bought it so not ridiculous.

My knowledge of this prior to purchasing the machine does not at all mitigate the ridiculousness of the fact that they removed a useful feature.

Amnesiac7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
don't like it, don't buy it. That is what I was getting at.

That's still the wrong thing to be stressing in this case. That's just a really simplistic way of dismissing the fact that this is a legitimate complaint. Of course, there are many things I like about this iMac, so the purchase was warranted, but that doesn't mean I forfeited my right to complain about its shortcomings.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
That's still the wrong thing to be stressing in this case. That's just a really simplistic way of dismissing the fact that this is a legitimate complaint. Of course, there are many things I like about this iMac, so the purchase was warranted, but that doesn't mean I forfeited my right to complain about its shortcomings.

ok, of course you can complain. Just know you won't get anywhere with it because Apple doesn't believe in cables and 99% of people use a normal tv for their console gaming so they won't spend money implementing a solution for you and maybe two others on Earth and possibly uglify their iMac design. Even if there were a million people signing a petition for it, it would go ignored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.