Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rreid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Hi, I'm in the market for a new MBP, but I was going to wait until Q1 2012 to buy one, since I had heard that there would be a complete revamp of it around then. I now see that they have upgraded the current one, and was wondering if this would likely be the last update for quite a while. I was hoping you guys could offer me some insight as to whether or not now would be a good time to buy one, or if I should wait another 6 months or so for a completely new one, since I am not in any dire need right now. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
Hi, I'm in the market for a new MBP, but I was going to wait until Q1 2012 to buy one, since I had heard that there would be a complete revamp of it around then. I now see that they have upgraded the current one, and was wondering if this would likely be the last update for quite a while. I was hoping you guys could offer me some insight as to whether or not now would be a good time to buy one, or if I should wait another 6 months or so for a completely new one, since I am not in any dire need right now. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

the waiting game is pathetic

if u need new compter buy now. if not then dont

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
For what it's worth, the recent upgrade was really minor (I think a 100 mhz or so bump across the board?)—definitely better than the previous models, but only barely so. Rumour has the next gen of MBPs getting Ivy Bridge and a new design, so if you're not in any dire need of new compter right now, it's probably worth waiting to see what shows up.

mape2k

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Germany
What kind of size do you look into?

For the 15", the upgrade last week was actually pretty good. The base model has received a good bump in dGPU.

+1 here, even though I would not say it this way. The thing is: If you buy a MBP now, it will still be awesome and capable of doing all your tasks, even if there is a complete redesign sometime next year. You have to ask yourself: Do I really need a MBP now? And if so, would I be mad if there is a redesign in 2012 (which is just a rumor mind you)?

tbear1

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2007
The rumors are rarely correct. I waited once and learned my lesson.

Every refresh there are rumors of a new case. If you need and want a new one get it.

Glenn

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Apple refresh cycle on the MacBook Pro's is usually 8-10 months. So if you're willing to wait that long to see what they change with the Ivy Bridge MBP, then wait. If not, get one now. I'm buying now. That's too long to wait.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003

Randomrazr is exactly correct.

If you need or want a MBP now, buy it now. They were JUST (slightly) updated.

And be real--the decision to buy or not buy a laptop is hardly a life-altering event. A little perspective does wonders.

jacob.schmidt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
I'm wondering about this too.. I'd really like a new mac now, but the MBP 13", is just too outdated and might be gone in 2012 with the new redesign (15+17")..

Right now, I'll guess the Air is the best choice..

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I'm wondering about this too.. I'd really like a new mac now, but the MBP 13", is just too outdated and might be gone in 2012 with the new redesign (15+17")..

Oi vey.

What about the 13" is "outdated?"

What would you be using the Air for? Because you'll have to replace it in a year or two when you discover that 4 GB RAM isn't enough . . .

mape2k

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Germany

Strongly depends on the user's demands! Very unlikely that they will drop the 13". I am guessing it is the most popular model and there are a lot of people that need high portability and also CPU power.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Even a redesigned 2012 model will be outdated 6-10 month later.

If you're looking for a particular feature that the current MBP has not, but the new one might have, you could consider waiting. Otherwise, I would just buy one if you need one right now.

jacob.schmidt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
I'm just saying that several benchmarks show how the Air and Pro (13, i5) deliver quite the same in performance..

By "outdated" I mea: optical drive, mechanical hard drive, low screen resolution and old design..

The air uses new technology and a nice design. I know the lack of RAM-upgrade is a huge deal and sucks.. But the design and standard ssd is on the other hand a great deal

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Q1 2012? Nah, at best Q2~Q3..

Besides, with every major refresh comes new issues, generally speaking. So you should wait for the 2nd refresh if you so desire to have a perfect computer.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
the design . . . is on the other hand a great deal

Personally, I don't care for the design of the Air. I always feel like it's going to fall apart in my hands.

As for performance, no. The base MBP is significantly faster than the fastest available (and MUCH more expensive) Air.

The Air requires you to pay a lot more for a lot less. If that's your thing, go for it.

jacob.schmidt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
Personally, I don't care for the design of the Air. I always feel like it's going to fall apart in my hands.

As for performance, no. The base MBP is significantly faster than the fastest available (and MUCH more expensive) Air.

The Air requires you to pay a lot more for a lot less. If that's your thing, go for it.

The MBP isn't more expensive than the maxed out Air?

But why does the benchmark show the opposite of that?

I'm not being an Air-fanboy here, 'cause I'm not sure what to pick either, but I've heard both pros and cons on either on of 'em..

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
The screen resolution of the 13'' is a major turn off - for those who care about it, anyways. I do.

The 13'' MBA seems future oriented, but I would say it's not quite there yet. 128 GB is very little, with average software packages occupying several GBs of HD space. Going to 256 brings the price close to the 15'' MBPs, so it doesn't make sense really. 4GB ram should be fine for now, but is not really future proof.

So... the MBA is certainly a great second laptop, but I wouldn't want it as a main working machine.

On the other hand, the 13'' MBP feels not so pro with the low screen resolution and no dedicated graphics. It might make sense as a mobile workstation pimped up with 8 GB ram and maybe an SSD, and, most importantly, when used with an external monitor most of the time.

We'll see what apple does with the 13'' notebook in the future. Right now both options seem a bit limited.

jacob.schmidt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
The screen resolution of the 13'' is a major turn off - for those who care about it, anyways. I do.

The 13'' MBA seems future oriented, but I would say it's not quite there yet. 128 GB is very little, with average software packages occupying several GBs of HD space. Going to 256 brings the price close to the 15'' MBPs, so it doesn't make sense really. 4GB ram should be fine for now, but is not really future proof.

So... the MBA is certainly a great second laptop, but I wouldn't want it as a main working machine.

On the other hand, the 13'' MBP feels not so pro with the low screen resolution and no dedicated graphics. It might make sense as a mobile workstation pimped up with 8 GB ram and maybe an SSD, and, most importantly, when used with an external monitor most of the time.

We'll see what apple does with the 13'' notebook in the future. Right now both options seem a bit limited.

AGREED!.. The 13 MBP is way more future proof, but the screen is terrible.. Also it seems bulky compared to the Air, and that might change soon. I'd like to buy the MBP right now, but if they'll release a redesign in feb/march I'll hate my choice.. - yep, I'm a nerd :rolleyes:

So you're saying that there IS a noticeable speed difference between the Air and Pro? I'll be upgrading the MBP to ssd...

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
You Can Get A Good Deal On A Previous Generation MBP

Yes, it's a great time to buy an MBP if you don't need the latest model...

Apple has recently offered 13" refurbs for $929. Some stores are selling the base model 13" for around $1000. If you are eligible for the education discount and attend a school with a bookstore that sells Macs the savings can be even higher. I've saved up to 40% on new previous-generation Macs through university bookstores.

And in my experience the MBA display is worse than the MBP, particularly if you are one of the unfortunate people who are sensitive to the LED backlights used in the current Mac portables. I suffered incredible eyestrain when using an MBA. The MBA also exhibits color gamut problems while the MBPs do not.

Nick McEnjoy

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011

By one now and when the new one comes out buy it too :D
When it comes to Apple products, don't think about money :D

WarpSpawn

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
Regarding the screen resolution of the MBP 13", it is perhaps worth pointing out that this does not stack up too badly compared with similar spec and price Windows laptops, though most seem to go for the wider screen at 1366 x 768. When considering future proofing then, it seems most of the current batch are in the same boat. It is true that the MBAs have higher res screens, so one could be forgiven for thinking that Apple should have fitted one of these to the current MBPs as well but the MBPs remain competitive all the same.

Where they do not measure up so well is that for a similar price, you can get such as a Sony with a dedicated video card and a Bluray drive (if this is important to you). On the other hand, I don't rate Sony's support and I cannot comment on the build quality in comparison but I would hope that the video card at least is something that we will see in the next generation of baseline MBPs.

Wattser93

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
Oi vey.

What about the 13" is "outdated?"

What would you be using the Air for? Because you'll have to replace it in a year or two when you discover that 4 GB RAM isn't enough . . .

More than anything, it needs discrete graphics IMO, and a hi res AG screen. Facebook, MS Word, and other simple tasks that most people use a laptop for will run fine, but it doesn't have near the raw power of the 15" and 17".

1440x900 with AG would make it a much better laptop. HD3000 + 6750M would be a huge upgrade for the 13" and really bring it up to speed with the 15" and 17" models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.