Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deellow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
The 25309
Ever since recieving my new 4S on Launch Day, I have been suffering from the now infamous battery drain woes. I have gone from days of having horrid battery life, to going days between requiring a recharge, to mediocre battery life- some of which in the span of just 4 days. I'm a regular follower of Apple tech and rumor sites and have read pages of testimony and arguments over the mythical batterygate issue. I was prepared to have a lengthy conversation with Apple Care this morning. This is what I found out.

Before calling Apple Care, I troubleshooted the issue myself with all the tips that have been mentioned here and elsewhere. They seemed to help with battery life for a while, but over this past weekend, my battery took another nose dive. For those keeping score here is what I had done:

Deleted and then re-enabled iCloud;
Did hard resets to my heart's content;
Disabled various location based services;
Complete battery reconditioning;
Dimmed screen brightness; and
Kept a visual record of my battery usage as found in the settings menu.

Nothing. Nada. Cero.

So I called Apple Care. Richard, as polite as ever, took my information, listened to me rattle off my issues and troubleshooting steps that I had already taken, took my usage stats, and kept me on hold while he spoke with a senior tech adviser. Their official conclusion:

Since few people have called to complain, I was a minority user with such crappy battery life. This to me was absurd simply b/c of the sheer number of people on the Apple Support Forums bouncing ideas off each others' heads. Surely, I can't be one of a few people calling about this as they claimed. Anyway, they indicated that it sounds like hardware issues (which I also find hard to believe based on the volume of users with this issue) and that they wanted to fix or replace my 4S- whichever was cheaper for them I suppose. All I would need to do was to send them my phone and receive it or another in the mail within a week or so. Or take it to the nearest Apple store which is 4 hours away from me. I politely thanked him for his time and asked to maul over my options and phone them back with my decision. He agreed and we ended our conversation of 30 minutes.

I've decided not to send my phone in for repair b/c I don't believe this is a hardware issue. I think it's a software issue and I'm not keen on going phoneless for a week with no guarantee of batterygate coming to a close upon receiving my new phone.

Further, I knew before I called was that their best solution for me was to replace my phone. I did not expect to come away with an end all solution. I called simply to document my issue with Apple in the hopes that if enough people call, they will see a more viable solution needs to happen. Also, to document that I spoke with Apple about this issue just in case my battery gets even worse or if Apple offers a solution in the future, I can at least say "Hey, I called 3 months ago about this- fix it for me, please."

Regardless, the 4S is a solid phone and recommend it to anyone who wants the most out of their mobile phone.

Here's to hoping Apple releases an iOS patch so that we may live happily ever after.

d

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
See to me it would make sense it's a hardware issue, which is why some handsets experience the issue and others don't. If it were a software issues, we should all be hit by it, since we're all working with the same software and 4s hardware (minus the 3 different sizes). Atleast that's how I've worked it out in my head. Could be a combination of both.

deellow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
The 25309
See to me it would make sense it's a hardware issue, which is why some handsets experience the issue and others don't. If it were a software issues, we should all be hit by it, since we're all working with the same software and 4s hardware (minus the 3 different sizes). Atleast that's how I've worked it out in my head. Could be a combination of both.

I'd be inclined to agree with you if it weren't for the recent review by AnandTech in regards to batter life: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/apple-iphone-4s-review-att-verizon/15

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
When ever you present a problem to Apple Care or to the Genius Bar, they will ALWAYS act like this is the first time they ever heard of such a problem. They will never tell you this is a widespread issue. It's on their script.

Antidoll

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
did you try the battery fix (restoring your phone, etc) & turning off Bluetooth?

I tried it and it improved my battery life significantly

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
did you try the battery fix (restoring your phone, etc) & turning off Bluetooth?

I tried it and it improved my battery life significantly

I find that with these few changes, you really get excellent battery life. All the Haters can go home.

You should try:

Restoring phone, then don't add any 3rd party apps
Select Reset All Settings twice
Disable Push
Delete iCloud account
Remove any Exchange accounts (not even setting up mail is liekly better, but I haven't tested this yet)
Shut-off all features listed in System Services (Location-based iAds, Cell Network Search, Traffic, etc.)
Turn-off Bluetooth
Keep your home page background wallpaper blank
Restrict access to Ping
Uncheck all items on Spotlight Search
Remove any apps from Notification Center (you should just have native apps at this point)
Turn-off all Location Services
Turn-off vibrate and keep ringer on silent (and when listening to anything on phone, reduce volume to as low as possible and use earphones)
Reduce brightness to lowest possible
Turn-off WiFi iTunes sync
Auto-lock in 1 minute
Turn-off all Accessibility features (even if you may need them)
Never use the Flash when taking photos (in fact, not taking any photos and using a dedicated point-and-shoot is porbably the best solution here)
Do not enter any information into Twitter integration
Turn-off FaceTime (a real battery killer)
Turn-off iMessage (another battery killer)
Turn-off music Equalizer, Soundcheck, Shake to Shuffle, and Home Sharing
Never, I repeat, never watch any video on your iPhone
Shut-off Cellular Data (will also ensure you never go over your Unlimited data limit)
Try to keep in Airplane Mode as much as humanly possible
And Finally, shut-off Siri (she is very high maintenance. Bye, Siri!)

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I find that with these few changes, you really get excellent battery life. All the Haters can go home.

You should try:

Disable Push
Delete iCloud account
Remove any Exchange accounts (not even setting up mail is liekly better, but I haven't tested this yet)
Shut-off all features listed in System Services (Location-based iAds, Cell Network Search, Traffic, etc.)
Turn-off Bluetooth
Restrict access to Ping
Remove any apps from Notification Center (you should just have native apps at this point)
Turn-off vibrate and keep ringer on silent (and when listening to anything on phone, reduce volume to as low as possible and use earphones)
Auto-lock in 1 minute
Never use the Flash when taking photos (in fact, not taking any photos and using a dedicated point-and-shoot is porbably the best solution here)
Shut-off Cellular Data (will also ensure you never go over your Unlimited data limit)

Sooo...should I just return the phone and get a dumb phone? Because if I were to turn all these off, WTF is the point of getting a smart phone, let alone an iPhone????????

Whatever you're smoking, could you please pass it around this way? :rolleyes:

Jacooch

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2011
Sooo...should I just return the phone and get a dumb phone? Because if I were to turn all these off, WTF is the point of getting a smart phone, let alone an iPhone????????

Whatever you're smoking, could you please pass it around this way? :rolleyes:

I read it that that is the point.....?

Phillyphil0302

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
NYC
Mine went from 62% to 50% in about 10 minutes:confused:...all I did during that time was browse macrumors forum. And, yeah, I basically have everything disabled on my 4s. A dumb phone disguised as a smart phone :mad:

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Anyone stop to think for a moment that if you seem to drain fast with all the features off that maybe you can have the same poor battery drain with all the features on and just wait for an update from Apple?

Sitting around with a dumb phone AND poor battery life doesn't make sense to me, at least use the features. :rolleyes:

Phillyphil0302

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
NYC
Anyone stop to think for a moment that if you seem to drain fast with all the features off that maybe you can have the same poor battery drain with all the features on and just wait for an update from Apple?

Sitting around with a dumb phone AND poor battery life doesn't make sense to me, at least use the features. :rolleyes:

You're absolutely right! Only problem is even if I enable half the stuff, it drains 3 times as fast...

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

You should try:

Disable Push
Delete iCloud account
Turn-off Bluetooth
Restrict access to Ping
Auto-lock in 1 minute

makecall.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.