Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 15, 2005, 10:51 AM   #1
sbb155
macrumors 6502

upgrade to new mac question - notes, office

If I upgrade to a new mac, nad I use the file transfer utility to transfer all of my applications, etc, will lotus notes and ms office 2004 transfer, or will I need their disks to make them work? I have my computer through my corporation, and I don't feel like losing it to IT for 2-3 weeks while they transfer my applications, if I can do it on my own
SB
sbb155 is offline   0
Old May 15, 2005, 10:54 AM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Well, I really recommend reinstalling the applications. I'm pretty sure Office just flatly won't work if you drag the app icons across, there are bits of that suite all over the system. I'm not sure about Lotus though. It really shouldn't take IT all that long to reinstall the apps either.
Old May 15, 2005, 12:18 PM   #3
khollister
macrumors 6502

Office (and everything else I have) transferred just fine using the Migration Assistant. Hooked up the FW, put the old machine in firewire target mode and checked all of the options in Migration Assistant. Hour or two later - all done. Didn't have to reinstall anything
khollister is offline   0
Old May 15, 2005, 06:02 PM   #4
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister
Office (and everything else I have) transferred just fine using the Migration Assistant. Hooked up the FW, put the old machine in firewire target mode and checked all of the options in Migration Assistant. Hour or two later - all done. Didn't have to reinstall anything
the same for me......I was extremely impressed with how easy it was

in my case it was less than an hour

all of Office, PhotoShop, Illustrator, email files, etc., so far everything I've looked for transffered perfectly
Macky-Mac is offline   0
Old May 15, 2005, 09:25 PM   #5
B2O
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbb155
If I upgrade to a new mac, nad I use the file transfer utility to transfer all of my applications, etc, will lotus notes and ms office 2004 transfer, or will I need their disks to make them work? I have my computer through my corporation, and I don't feel like losing it to IT for 2-3 weeks while they transfer my applications, if I can do it on my own
SB
I use both Lotus Notes and Office in a Wintel office and when upgrading to Tiger, simply copied the application folders across from a backup drive to the newly formatted drive without issue. Once the Powerbook was connected to the network, it sync'ed with the Notes server and continued as it did before.

Simple.

As always with a Mac, it just worked.
B2O is offline   0
Old May 16, 2005, 10:06 AM   #6
NevadaJack
macrumors 6502

I used Migration Assistant from my PB with Office 2004 for Mac and everything transferred fine. Entourage mail setting and all other apps worked fine. Quicken 2005 also transferred without having to load the program.
http://nevadajack.smugmug.com
NevadaJack is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers