Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

plugbug.jpg

TwelveSouth's PlugBug fixes one of those problems you didn't know you had, in a very clever way. It's a $34.99 attachment that adds a USB charging port to the standard MagSafe power adapter for an Apple notebook. This way, users can charge an iPhone or iPad -- or any other USB device -- and a MacBook simultaneously, using the same wall outlet.

If one isn't using the MagSafe connector, it also works as a standalone USB charger providing up to 10 watts of power -- enough to refuel an iPad at top speed.

The PlugBug is $34.99 and available via the TwelveSouth online store.

Article Link: Charge A MacBook and iPad With TwelveSouth's PlugBug

Ricky Smith

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2006
Boston, MA
Maybe I'm missing something, but I've got a solution that saves you $35 plug the iPad into the USB port on the laptop you're charging.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Maybe I'm missing something, but I've got a solution that saves you $35 plug the iPad into the USB port on the laptop you're charging.

Don't the wall outlets provide more power than the regular USB ports on laptops? Not sure if that's true. If it is, your iDevice would charge faster on the wall outlet than the port in your laptop.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland

Ooh but this one charges up faster than using USB :D But, yeah, nifty little device but that's about it. I guess if you're impatient or need to buy a new little trinket for your iPad/MacBook, I guess this might fill the void.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002

Yup. Or plug their iPad wall charger into that other socket right there above. And with this fantastic new idea of using the iPad wall charger, you can charge your iPad in a completely different room from your MacBook! Wow crazy.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011

What you're missing are: (1) you lose one USB port, (2) charging your iPad via your notebook's USB is *dead* slow, and (3) this device works as a standalone charger as well, so your $35 is worth it.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Nice design but I think they missed a trick here (being from the UK)... Why didn't they have the same interchangeable connector on the end of the PlugBug, so it worked fully internationally? Pull the UK plug off the end, attach the PlugBug and then attach the UK plug from the Apple charger onto the PlugBug... That would've been awesome.

As it is, I can only use the PlugBug if I'm travelling in the US... I love how they make this a 'feature'... :D

guan

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
Don't the wall outlets provide more power than the regular USB ports on laptops? Not sure if that's true. If it is, your iDevice would charge faster on the wall outlet than the port in your laptop.

With PC laptops perhaps, but at least according to System Information, my MacBook Air will provide the full 2.1A for an iPad when I plug one in, and 1A to my iPhone.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

Thank you for your 'smart advice'...

FYI, charging an iPad over a laptop's USB port is very slow as it only provides up to 500mA.
An iPad needs at least double of that for you to be able to charge it while using it.

Conclusion: You don't have an iPad, don't you? :D

rossipoo

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Nice design but I think they missed a trick here (being from the UK)... Why didn't they have the same interchangeable connector on the end of the PlugBug, so it worked fully internationally? Pull the UK plug off the end, attach the PlugBug and then attach the UK plug from the Apple charger onto the PlugBug... That would've been awesome.

As it is, I can only use the PlugBug if I'm travelling in the US... I love how they make this a 'feature'... :D

That and it it could have stacked for some super charging action.

Fazzy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
check the tracking device
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Would they make a uk plug version?

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I just forwarded this to others at my company. I'm not a fan of the bright color, but having a USB port right there on the charger would be nice.

My co-worker is taking up two outlets for his MacBook Pro & iPad, and I use multiple outlets at home for my MacBook(s) and tablets. This would immediately help us both.

jfulcher

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Thank you for your 'smart advice'...

FYI, charging an iPad over a laptop's USB port is very slow as it only provides up to 500mA.
An iPad needs at least double of that for you to be able to charge it while using it.

Conclusion: You don't have an iPad, don't you? :D

Only old stuff charges at 500mA.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Am I the only one who thinks $35 is a kind of high price for such a product? Wouldn't $20 be more reasonable?

And that maybe they should have more than just one USB port?

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
With PC laptops perhaps, but at least according to System Information, my MacBook Air will provide the full 2.1A for an iPad when I plug one in, and 1A to my iPhone.

Nice...
I guess the new MacBook pro's also can provide the full 2,1A for iPad?
Does anyone knows?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
That’s neat, but Apple’s separate charger is actually smaller, I think. At least the iPhone one, which CAN also charge an iPad (a little more slowly but it’s fine). iPads and iPhones can share each other’s Apple chargers.

Still, one item to carry instead of two, whatever the size, could reduce drops/losses.

expertmonk

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
My thoughts were initially aligned with those who are saying "plug it in to your computer's usb". But I get the point that it takes a lot longer to charge. That being said, I still do not see this device being worth it - at least in my case. I hardly ever charge my iPad during the day - I keep my charger by my night stand and charge it at night as needed. ALSO, when I have my macbook out and about long enough to require plugging in, in many cases I need to use the longer cord to get to an outlet - this device doesn't seem to work in that case. I see how this might be useful for some people - but I really wouldn't call it "clever".

SirChadwick

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Great idea to piggyback on top of Apple's products. However, if you are not afraid of 120VAC outlet wiring, a USB wall plug is cool space saver.

Attachments

• USBWallOutlet.jpg
    USBWallOutlet.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,649
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.