Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Each post shows a time stamp.

My question is this: is the time shown on the post the time at the location of the poster, e.g. Spain or China, or is the time shown always US time?

Nov 28, 2010
located
It is the time of the poster's time zone. I reside in Berlin, which uses CET and my posts have those times.

CLARIFICATION:
It is the member's set timezone, that gets displayed.

2011_11_02_pD1_MR_UserCP_Option_TimeZone.png

Last edited:

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
You can set the time zone for the whole forum. I set mine to my local time so I know relatively when posts were made.

Time isn't a 'place' per sé anyway, it's usually GMT + timezone difference.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It's showing whatever time zone you set so if you post at 7:52 AM on the east coast then the CA people will see it as 4:52 AM, for example.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
It is the time of the poster's time zone. I reside in Berlin, which uses CET and my posts have those times.

2011_11_02_pD1_MR_UserCP_Option_TimeZone.png

I'm assuming that the poster's time (in Germany) shows up as the same time in the US. That is, if you post at 10:00 in Germany, it will say 10:00 on your post here in the US.

My Option is set yo "GMT-5, Eastern US..." . So if you post at 10:00 in Germany, It won't correct and make the time on the post US time, but will show me that you posted at 10:00 Germany time. My email shows the time it arrived in US time, Not the time of the person who emailed in UK.

Sorry to be so dumb,,,:eek:

Last edited:

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I'm assuming that the poster's time (in Germany) shows up as the same time in the US. That is, if you post at 10:00 in Germany, it will say 10:00 on your post here in the US.

My Option is set yo "GMT-5, Eastern US..." . So if you post at 10:00 in Germany, It won't correct and make the time on the post US time, but will show me that you posted at 10:00 Germany time. My email shows the time it arrived in US time, Not the time of the person who emailed in UK.

Sorry to be so dumb,,,:eek:

I'm not sure what you're asking here, but hopefully this answers your question:

Every post is technically "recorded" in UTC time. What you see is that recorded time with the appropriate formula applied, and that formula is based on your location and time settings.

Since you're in Germany, a post made at 10:00 Berlin time would be 9:00 UTC time. For every other person who sees that post, 9:00 UTC is adjusted to correspond to their local time. In my case that means UTC-7 because I'm on the Pacific coast. Thus, your 10:00 post will display as 2:00 to me (9-7) or as 5:00 to someone on the Atlantic coast.

This is the same way email works. All emails are stamped with their UTC time first, and then adjusted to when they arrive locally.

I hope that answers your question.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's actually the time in the reader's selected time zone, as set in the options, not the poster's.
All timestamps displayed on the forums can be automatically corrected to show the correct time for your location in the world. Simply select the appropriate time zone from the list below.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm not sure what you're asking here, but hopefully this answers your question:

Every post is technically "recorded" in UTC time. What you see is that recorded time with the appropriate formula applied, and that formula is based on your location and time settings.

Since you're in Germany, a post made at 10:00 Berlin time would be 9:00 UTC time. For every other person who sees that post, 9:00 UTC is adjusted to correspond to their local time. In my case that means UTC-7 because I'm on the Pacific coast. Thus, your 10:00 post will display as 2:00 to me (9-7) or as 5:00 to someone on the Atlantic coast.

This is the same way email works. All emails are stamped with their UTC time first, and then adjusted to when they arrive locally.

I hope that answers your question.

Got it, CalBoy!:D

Thanks for your time,folks. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.