Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Nov 3, 2011, 04:09 AM   #1
hafr
Banned

Facebook app taking up loads of space

I was looking through the settings of my phone and I realized that the 14,4 MB large app Facebook was using several hundred megabytes (almost half a gig!) of documents and settings. I deleted the app and reinstalled it to free up the space. But how common is this?

How much are your Facebook apps taking up, and why is it using so much space?
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 04:18 PM   #2
leitmotif
macrumors regular

Mine says: 196MB Documents & Data. Since I got my 4S it has been extremely slow, especially with re-loading the timeline.
leitmotif is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:25 PM   #3
MacMind.com
macrumors newbie

FaceBook app on iPhone taking over 1.5GB of space?!?

Howdy,

Just thought I'd put this out there:

I noticed my iPhone had gotten 'full', mostly due to some long video's I had recorded. So, in seeking to free up some space on the iPhone, I looked at the list
I have no idea how or why, but I noticed that according to the iPhone's 'Settings -> General -> Usage'

indicated that the FaceBook app was using over 1.5Gb of space, I was shocked.

I have now deleted the FaceBook app, from both my iPhone and on my Macintosh's iTunes also.

The iPhone didn't seem to indicate any more free space, after giving it a minute or two, so thinking it might need a reboot, I powered it off, powered it on again, and it's been taking over 15-20+ minutes to boot up (stuck on the White Apple logo), and finally it booted up, and now reports the space as available.

I had no idea FaceBook could take up so much space, perhaps it wasn't clearing cache files over time as it probably should, but that's just a guess.

I will now reload it, and presumably it will start small, and start growing again over time, but I have no idea how or why it grew quite that large on my iPhone.

iPhone 4/iOS 5.0 (9A334)
MacMind.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:43 PM   #4
DorkieDoode
macrumors newbie

To bring this back from the dead. My FB app took up a whooping 5.4GB in 7 months! Boy, I almost broke my neck in shock. Deleting it will bring it back down to 65mb.
DorkieDoode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 05:11 PM   #5
sando88
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to sando88
Facebook,twitter and other social network apps does that.In time they put a lot of temporary files on your device.The easiest thing to do,and basically the only thing to do is simply reinstall the app and you won`t have any problems until the next time.
sando88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps