Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Is there a good tool similar to FRONT PAGE I can use for my mac? I just need something to do web pages, but don't need to spend 1000.

Help :)
chris

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...well, you say you don't want to spend $1000 (understandable) but you do not say what your budget is. There are options - Adobe's Go Live and BBedit to name a couple.....both much better than the evil Front Page (known mostly for generating bloated non-standard code)...oh yeah!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
BBEdit isn't going to cut it as a substitute for FrontPage. Since the demise of Claris HomePage, we haven't had a decent low-cost WYSIWYG web page editor on the Mac platform. This looks promising though. Anybody tried it?

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
:eek: is there anything 100% frontpage compatible for mac, because at school that's what we have to use and I can't work on it at home because of, like you said, all the non-standard stuff :eek:

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
IJ Reilly said:
BBEdit isn't going to cut it as a substitute for FrontPage. Since the demise of Claris HomePage, we haven't had a decent low-cost WYSIWYG web page editor on the Mac platform. This looks promising though. Anybody tried it?

NVU is pretty darned good. It's not really Dreamweaver for free, but it's closer than you might expect.

dhracer88

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2005
Never used frontpage or dreamweaver, but NVU is great for my purposes. You can create complex sites, but I prefer to stay with the extremely basic look of mine (cause I'm still learning!). If you ever have a problem with something in NVU, they've got a great forum to use. They do have a bunch a NVU vs Frontpage and dreamweaver arguments over there, so if you're interested, check it out.

Download NVU and give it a try, it's only 6 mb, and it's FREE!

rugonnaeatthat

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I just gave NVU a go, and it has made an immediate impact. I think this is a great app and I will endeavor to do my next project on it - that is saying a lot since I have spent good money on Golive. I have used golive and I have used Dreamweaver and this is the in-between I was looking for, plus it's not as slow as golive - bloody adobe priorities!

However I think the original poster should head towards Freeway to be found @ http://www.softpress.com Their program is the closest thing I have come across to front page - I think you'll be pleased.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
homerjward said:
:eek: is there anything 100% frontpage compatible for mac, because at school that's what we have to use and I can't work on it at home because of, like you said, all the non-standard stuff :eek:

What do you mean by compatible? Frontpage is a WYSIWYG html editor.

JediL1

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2003
Mozilla comes with Composer(free), which is probably the closest thing to the look and feel of Frontpage on the mac.

Though nothing will be 100% compatible with Frontpage except...well Frontpage. So expect some inconsistencies

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
IJ Reilly said:
Yuck. :p Not a very Mac-like suggestion.

Based on the comments, I'm going to download NVU.

Yeah, I don't like hand-coding much either.

For basic WYSIWYG, Dreamweaver, no question.

Or - get a book on CSS and use BBedit.

BUT if you don't want to spedn much money, my original suggestion stands.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...well, you say you don't want to spend $1000 (understandable) but you do not say what your budget is. There are options - Adobe's Go Live and BBedit to name a couple.....both much better than the evil Front Page (known mostly for generating bloated non-standard code)...oh yeah!

Where have you been Duff-Man?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
long way around that is Virtual PC+frontpage, seeing that FP will run fine in VPC7.

ive had to use Dreamweaver since getting a mac, its not for everyone especially those who want something basic. but it works.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
iGary said:
Yeah, I don't like hand-coding much either.

For basic WYSIWYG, Dreamweaver, no question.

Or - get a book on CSS and use BBedit.

BUT if you don't want to spedn much money, my original suggestion stands.

i admire people that can design a whole webpage/site by hand-coding.

for me, i need to *see* it while im making it. i really wanted to learn how to hand-code properly, but with dreamweaver now giving out code that is acceptable (and not filled with mumbo-jumbo) i'm finding it hard to see the point in hand coding..

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
dreamweaver? text editor?

imac abuser said:
Is there a good tool similar to FRONT PAGE I can use for my mac? I just need something to do web pages, but don't need to spend 1000.

Help :)
chris

mac alternative to front page same as windows alternative to frontpage :) Dreamweaver, if you need something very simple you can save as html from Word or you can use Mozilla's html editor (which is free and ok for basic pages)

and of course, real geeks use Text Editor (in Mac) as an alternative to Notepad in windows :rolleyes:

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
Yuck- I have to use aFrontPage at work for the Intranet. I know aFrontpage to the extent where its corrupted the way I use Dreamweaver.

The only thing good about it is the way it handles tables. And its fairly easy to use I guess.

Anyways- to the point: FB only usually generates stupid code when you cut and paste from MS Office and some internet pages.

Actually, this post is more of a whinge then a suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.