Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 3, 2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Robbiemac
macrumors newbie

iTunes on Samsung smart tv

Can you use a Samsung smart tv to stream your iTunes movies like an atv2 ??

Last edited by Robbiemac; Nov 3, 2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: ..
Robbiemac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 08:20 AM   #2
dXTC
macrumors 68000

At the moment, no, there is no official iTunes streaming client for Samsung. With all the lawsuits being flung by Apple and Samsung at each other, I don't see a Samsung iTunes TV client anytime soon.

That would be cool, though; I have a Samsung "smart" TV myself and occasionally find its connectivity features nifty. One BIG caveat, though: The tv's NetFlix app UI is significantly better than Samsung's.
dXTC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Evgenyy
macrumors regular

Samsung Smart TV now has a Plex app. Plex has iTunes integration in other versions, so you can try playing iTunes content that way if it is supported in the Samsung version.
Evgenyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 01:18 PM   #4
heimbachae
macrumors regular

my samsung is no where near as slick as my apple tv. i hardly use it's "smart" features. too clumsy IMHO.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 01:33 PM   #5
goMac
macrumors 603

I use an AppleTV for this with my Samsung Smart TV. Only $99.
goMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:40 AM   #6
dXTC
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgenyy View Post
Samsung Smart TV now has a Plex app. Plex has iTunes integration in other versions, so you can try playing iTunes content that way if it is supported in the Samsung version.
I'll have to check that out. Then again, it has an uphill battle, as Apple TV's UI is a standard-bearer and my media collection has been in the iTunes ecosystem from the get-go.

On the other hand, I could see the benefits of throwing a handful of tunes or videos on an old USB drive, plugging it directly into the Samsung's USB port, and have Plex playing from the drive.
dXTC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:49 AM   #7
convergent
macrumors 6502

Get an ATV2 and a Harmony remote and the whole thing will be integrated without having to manually start moving content around.
convergent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 02:51 PM   #8
Outrigger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgenyy View Post
While its true that there is a Plex app for the Samsung Smart TV, you have to go into developer mode to get it installed. It doesn't exist in the regular "App section". Also, right now, it only supports movies and tv shows, not music or photos, maybe down the road.

I installed it last night and it works better than the jailbroken ATV2 I was using. no more random reboots since the TV/BD player is much more powerful in pushing 1080p contents.
Outrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:25 PM   #9
dXTC
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
While its true that there is a Plex app for the Samsung Smart TV, you have to go into developer mode to get it installed. It doesn't exist in the regular "App section". Also, right now, it only supports movies and tv shows, not music or photos, maybe down the road.
In that case, I'll stick with my tvs for now. I have no HD content to try to push, so the tv is sufficiently powerful. If I messed up our main TV trying to goof around in some developer/alpha/beta mode, my wife would have me hanging by the family jewels, so to speak, especially if a successful result still wouldn't handle all the media we'd like.

Thanks for the heads-up.
dXTC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater