Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robbiemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
Can you use a Samsung smart tv to stream your iTunes movies like an atv2 ??

Last edited:

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
At the moment, no, there is no official iTunes streaming client for Samsung. With all the lawsuits being flung by Apple and Samsung at each other, I don't see a Samsung iTunes TV client anytime soon.

That would be cool, though; I have a Samsung "smart" TV myself and occasionally find its connectivity features nifty. One BIG caveat, though: The :apple:tv's NetFlix app UI is significantly better than Samsung's.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Samsung Smart TV now has a Plex app. Plex has iTunes integration in other versions, so you can try playing iTunes content that way if it is supported in the Samsung version.

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
my samsung is no where near as slick as my apple tv. i hardly use it's "smart" features. too clumsy IMHO.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Samsung Smart TV now has a Plex app. Plex has iTunes integration in other versions, so you can try playing iTunes content that way if it is supported in the Samsung version.

I'll have to check that out. Then again, it has an uphill battle, as Apple TV's UI is a standard-bearer and my media collection has been in the iTunes ecosystem from the get-go.

On the other hand, I could see the benefits of throwing a handful of tunes or videos on an old USB drive, plugging it directly into the Samsung's USB port, and have Plex playing from the drive.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Get an ATV2 and a Harmony remote and the whole thing will be integrated without having to manually start moving content around.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008

While its true that there is a Plex app for the Samsung Smart TV, you have to go into developer mode to get it installed. It doesn't exist in the regular "App section". Also, right now, it only supports movies and tv shows, not music or photos, maybe down the road.

I installed it last night and it works better than the jailbroken ATV2 I was using. no more random reboots since the TV/BD player is much more powerful in pushing 1080p contents.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
While its true that there is a Plex app for the Samsung Smart TV, you have to go into developer mode to get it installed. It doesn't exist in the regular "App section". Also, right now, it only supports movies and tv shows, not music or photos, maybe down the road.

In that case, I'll stick with my :apple:tvs for now. I have no HD content to try to push, so the :apple:tv is sufficiently powerful. If I messed up our main TV trying to goof around in some developer/alpha/beta mode, my wife would have me hanging by the family jewels, so to speak, especially if a successful result still wouldn't handle all the media we'd like.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.