Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:36 AM   #1
gaps
macrumors member

Will the next iPhone be able to....

.....let me talk on the phone and surf the web via a VERIZON cell tower/without wifi? I was wondering because of all the LTE rumors for the next iPhone, does that technology allow voice and data at the same time? According to a Verizon employee, all of their current LTE devices will not allow voice and data at the same time. Any help would be nice since this reason is keeping me from going to Verizon from ATT......
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Rolvag
macrumors regular

ONLY AT&T allows you to both talk and surf at the same time.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:40 AM   #3
FreakinEurekan
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaps View Post
.....let me talk on the phone and surf the web via a VERIZON cell tower/without wifi?
Probably, if the next iPhone supports LTE. But it would only do so in LTE coverage areas.
FreakinEurekan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:41 AM   #4
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
.....let me talk on the phone and surf the web via a VERIZON cell tower/without wifi? I was wondering because of all the LTE rumors for the next iPhone, does that technology allow voice and data at the same time? According to a Verizon employee, all of their current LTE devices will not allow voice and data at the same time. Any help would be nice since this reason is keeping me from going to Verizon from ATT......
I thought use of voice & data simultaneously was not tied to LTE, which both Verizon and AT&T are deploying, but rather network technologies. Verizon uses CDMA which does not allow this whereas AT&T uses GSM which does allow this.

Last edited by r2shyyou; Nov 3, 2011 at 11:51 AM.
r2shyyou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:42 AM   #5
soco
macrumors Demi-God

I hope that Verizon rep gets fired. Certain LTE chips allow simultaneous voice and data. It doesn't do everything very well yet, but it's getting there.

As for speculation, the next iPhone should be LTE equipped for both Verizon and AT&T. I say should in the sense that I think it should on principal. We all know principal theory and reality don't mix well with Apple. Apple will always do what's safe. They'll do what they know will work. If you want phones that push the latest and greatest, regardless of whether or not it's ready for mainstream users, go Android.

I think they'll wait for that better LTE chip. I can't think of the name. It should be available by the time the next iPhone is ready, and they can test it and ensure it's going to work with at least the same if not better battery life.

If all these stars don't line up, just prepare for another 3G iPhone.
Contribute to MacRumors: Become a Demi-God!
soco is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Stealthipad
Banned

One of AT&T best reasons to use them.
Stealthipad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:20 PM   #7
Vizin
macrumors 6502a

Last edited by Vizin; Feb 28, 2013 at 03:43 AM.
Vizin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:24 PM   #8
FreakinEurekan
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
I thought use of voice & data simultaneously was not tied to LTE, which both Verizon and AT&T are deploying, but rather network technologies. Verizon uses CDMA which does not allow this whereas AT&T uses GSM which does allow this.
Verizon uses CDMA and LTE. LTE allows it, CDMA doesn't (without a dual-radio hack). If the next iPhone supports LTE, it should support simultaneous voice/data on Verizon as long as the user is in an LTE service area.

AT&T uses GSM and LTE, both of which allow simultaneous voice/data.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 01:40 PM   #9
MagnusF
macrumors regular

Quote:
How the hell should we know? We are not a part of the design team for the iPhone 5.
MagnusF is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 02:00 PM   #10
Vizin
macrumors 6502a

Last edited by Vizin; Feb 28, 2013 at 03:43 AM.
Vizin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 04:31 PM   #11
gaps
macrumors member

Talking

thanks for all of the useful info, it answered my question. Basically, LTE technology will be able to do it. Now its a matter of will Apple be satisfied by the technology and use it? And since none of us on this forum work for Apple on the iPhone design team, none of know anything!!!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 04:45 PM   #12
ddublu
macrumors 65816

With as much WiFi as there is these days I find it almost impossible not to talk and surf at the same time (unless I am riding down the road at which point I shouldnt be doing that anyway).
ddublu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 04:58 PM   #13
gaps
macrumors member

unless you are a passenger riding down the road....plus i don't like to have to rely on a local business having wifi for me to use the internet while talking on the phone

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone