Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaps

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
.....let me talk on the phone and surf the web via a VERIZON cell tower/without wifi? I was wondering because of all the LTE rumors for the next iPhone, does that technology allow voice and data at the same time? According to a Verizon employee, all of their current LTE devices will not allow voice and data at the same time. Any help would be nice since this reason is keeping me from going to Verizon from ATT......

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
.....let me talk on the phone and surf the web via a VERIZON cell tower/without wifi? I was wondering because of all the LTE rumors for the next iPhone, does that technology allow voice and data at the same time? According to a Verizon employee, all of their current LTE devices will not allow voice and data at the same time. Any help would be nice since this reason is keeping me from going to Verizon from ATT......

I thought use of voice & data simultaneously was not tied to LTE, which both Verizon and AT&T are deploying, but rather network technologies. Verizon uses CDMA which does not allow this whereas AT&T uses GSM which does allow this.

Last edited:

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I hope that Verizon rep gets fired. Certain LTE chips allow simultaneous voice and data. It doesn't do everything very well yet, but it's getting there.

As for speculation, the next iPhone should be LTE equipped for both Verizon and AT&T. I say should in the sense that I think it should on principal. We all know principal theory and reality don't mix well with Apple. Apple will always do what's safe. They'll do what they know will work. If you want phones that push the latest and greatest, regardless of whether or not it's ready for mainstream users, go Android.

I think they'll wait for that better LTE chip. I can't think of the name. It should be available by the time the next iPhone is ready, and they can test it and ensure it's going to work with at least the same if not better battery life.

If all these stars don't line up, just prepare for another 3G iPhone.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I thought use of voice & data simultaneously was not tied to LTE, which both Verizon and AT&T are deploying, but rather network technologies. Verizon uses CDMA which does not allow this whereas AT&T uses GSM which does allow this.

Verizon uses CDMA and LTE. LTE allows it, CDMA doesn't (without a dual-radio hack). If the next iPhone supports LTE, it should support simultaneous voice/data on Verizon as long as the user is in an LTE service area.

AT&T uses GSM and LTE, both of which allow simultaneous voice/data.

MagnusF

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010

How the hell should we know? We are not a part of the design team for the iPhone 5.

gaps

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
thanks for all of the useful info, it answered my question. Basically, LTE technology will be able to do it. Now its a matter of will Apple be satisfied by the technology and use it? And since none of us on this forum work for Apple on the iPhone design team, none of know anything!!!

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
With as much WiFi as there is these days I find it almost impossible not to talk and surf at the same time (unless I am riding down the road at which point I shouldnt be doing that anyway).

gaps

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
unless you are a passenger riding down the road....plus i don't like to have to rely on a local business having wifi for me to use the internet while talking on the phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.