Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 3, 2011, 03:10 PM   #1
mac2thefuture
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mac2thefuture
What to do with 1st Gen ATV

Hello,

I have a 1st gen TV 40Gig collecting dust - it just doesn't get used any more.
I fancy getting the 2nd Gen for Christmas as the airplay feature really appeals to me.
That leaves me wondering - what can i then do with my 1st gen model??

Please, should you respond, keep your suggestions in laymen's terms

& Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

The first gens have one good thing that the 2G doesn't, the ability to be used without a computer. I suggest loading it up with media and taking it with you on vacations for use in the hotel room. They also make good car media players with a few modifications.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 03:16 PM   #3
obsidian1200
macrumors 6502

If you have kids, you could give it to them. The ATV1 is great for storing TV shows or the occasional movie, and IIRC it doesn't need to be connected to a desktop to work.

Or you could sell it and help pay for that ATV2 you're looking at.
obsidian1200 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Intell
macrumors P6

I almost forgot to mention one last thing. In the event your cook top/stove/range breaks, you can still cook upon the top of the Apple TV 1G.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 03:35 PM   #5
marzer
macrumors 65816

If you have an iPod/iPad/iPhone, you can load the Firecore (firecore.com) and Remote HD (remotehd.com) modifications to enable Airplay capability.
marzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 03:40 PM   #6
szolr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
The first gens have one good thing that the 2G doesn't, the ability to be used without a computer. I suggest loading it up with media and taking it with you on vacations for use in the hotel room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian1200 View Post
If you have kids, you could give it to them
The original TV was pretty versatile. So the suggestions up above are valid. But you will find having a laptop and an TV2 renders the first generation completely obsolete I'm afraid. Sell it.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 04:28 PM   #7
mac2thefuture
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mac2thefuture
Thanks, quite a few possibilities it would appear Ive beeb googling and you tubing myself and another option is to make it either a server or i could even install OS X on it (although those options may be too complicated for me).

The search continues - Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:35 AM   #8
obsidian1200
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac2thefuture View Post
Thanks, quite a few possibilities it would appear Ive beeb googling and you tubing myself and another option is to make it either a server or i could even install OS X on it (although those options may be too complicated for me).

The search continues - Thanks
You could install OSX Leopard on it, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. The hardware can't handle the OS well enough to justify the work, let alone the results. It might work as a server, but with only a 40GB HDD, you probably won't get much mileage from that route either.

If you wanted to, you could upgrade the internal HDD.
obsidian1200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 07:10 AM   #9
HellDiverUK
macrumors 6502

Or use it as a proper HTPC and install CrystalBuntu on it. Linux install specifically for the ATV1 - fit a Broadcom CrystalHD card and you can get full 1080p video through XMBC, run BitTorrent server, etc, etc.
HellDiverUK is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 07:30 AM   #10
tobiastimpe
macrumors newbie

If you know some *nix (ssh, bash) or want to know some, you could use it as a small web server or something. Maybe put some webcams on it and let it stream the video.
tobiastimpe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:32 AM   #11
Panch0
macrumors 6502a

I installed Leopard on my ATV1 and now use it as an always on iTunes 'server'.
You can store media on the network or on USB, so the small HD isn't really a problem for this. I access it through Appel Remote Desktop to manage my library. It is pretty slow and a bit painful to work with for library management, but once items have been added, it serves them up with no issues.

I like the fact that the ATV is small and low powered for this media server role, but if I hadn't already had one sitting around gathering dust, I wouldn't have gone out looking for it. A new low end mini would have been easier to set up and more versatile.

If you aren't interested in in taking the device apart or in imaging drives, I'd suggest selling it. The first gen Apple TVs seem to be in pretty high demand from hobbyists who are into those things.
Panch0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 09:31 AM   #12
ceraz
macrumors member

IMHO ATV2 doesn't do more than ATV1, I actually consider it does less as it doesn't have an internal HD, can't mount NAS drives etc.

I'm delaying my ATV upgrade until 1080p output support.

If you are really interested in airplay 99USD is not a lot ;-)
ceraz is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:06 AM   #13
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panch0 View Post
I installed Leopard on my ATV1 and now use it as an always on iTunes 'server'.
You can store media on the network or on USB, so the small HD isn't really a problem for this. I access it through Appel Remote Desktop to manage my library. It is pretty slow and a bit painful to work with for library management, but once items have been added, it serves them up with no issues.
This is what I did with my ATV1 (actually my second one), I use it as a server for iTunes and all of my media. I have an external 2TB drive with my entire iTunes library on it and then use ChickenVNC to log into it. Works great, cheap little server, compact and very apple compatible.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:47 AM   #14
aardwolf
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The first gens have one good thing that the 2G doesn't, the ability to be used without a computer. I suggest loading it up with media and taking it with you on vacations for use in the hotel room. They also make good car media players with a few modifications.
Actually, the AppleTV 2 doesn't require a computer anymore. True, it can't store its own content, but iCloud allows you to instantly stream anything that you've purchased straight from the iTunes servers.

You used to need the content downloaded to your computer first, but that is no longer the case with the new OS.
aardwolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:29 AM   #15
carlgo
macrumors 68000

These are very useful in the home, kitchen garage and garden.

1. Heat your home with pleasant radiant heating by inserting several in the floors.

2. Use as a hot plate or chocolate melter in the kitchen.

3. Place on the car's motor during freezing weather.

4. Grow weed in a heated greenhouse during the winter, corner the local market.

Or, simply unplug to cure global warming overnight.
carlgo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:50 AM   #16
Paratel
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Paratel
Quote:
I almost forgot to mention one last thing. In the event your cook top/stove/range breaks, you can still cook upon the top of the Apple TV 1G.
^^^ that is awesome, you could fry an egg on it... lol

Use as Coffee Mug warmer
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:01 PM   #17
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardwolf View Post
Actually, the AppleTV 2 doesn't require a computer anymore. True, it can't store its own content, but iCloud allows you to instantly stream anything that you've purchased straight from the iTunes servers.

You used to need the content downloaded to your computer first, but that is no longer the case with the new OS.
This allows you to stream movies you already purchased and downloaded to iTunes? or just Photos, Apps, and TV Shows, and Music?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:53 PM   #18
Panch0
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
This allows you to stream movies you already purchased and downloaded to iTunes? or just Photos, Apps, and TV Shows, and Music?
I haven't seen Movies become available for streaming yet, but would expect that they will be eventually. THeir exclusion almost has to be a licensing issue rather than a technical one.
Panch0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 01:20 PM   #19
TuckBodi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzer View Post
If you have an iPod/iPad/iPhone, you can load the Firecore (firecore.com) and Remote HD (remotehd.com) modifications to enable Airplay capability.
I wouldn't waste my money on Firecore, which is really stuff that can be done for free. Can't believe people fall for buying their stuff.

Echoing HellDiverUK, I highly recommend Sam's Crystalbuntu image, which can run on a 4gb flash drive, and you don't even have to hack your ATV1 anymore. Boots into XBMC and you get all your media center goodness there, including AirPlay.
TuckBodi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 01:26 PM   #20
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellDiverUK View Post
Or use it as a proper HTPC and install CrystalBuntu on it. Linux install specifically for the ATV1 - fit a Broadcom CrystalHD card and you can get full 1080p video through XMBC, run BitTorrent server, etc, etc.
Agreed. I'm still amazed that my ATV1 can crunch through 30mbit/s 1080p AVC (H@L4.1) with no trouble at all.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 02:19 PM   #21
KevinC867
macrumors 6502a

With no analog audio outputs, my ATV2 is not useable in my system as a music player, so I continue to use my ATV1 as my music player. I need the analog outputs to feed the "Zone 2" amp for my patio speakers. ATV1 is also better for music because it holds my entire music collection locally, so there is no need to leave a computer on for streaming.

I just love the ability to control music selection and volume via the Remote app on my iPhone when I'm sitting out on the patio.
KevinC867 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 04:03 PM   #22
ComanWilson
macrumors newbie

I recently installed Leopard on mine. It works great as an iTunes server but the performance is horrible for anything besides that. I have a 2 TB drive attached to the usb port to hold my media. With the use of VNC I can control it from my other Macs and my iPad. It has been running 24/7 for about a month now without any issues.
ComanWilson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 05:47 PM   #23
jpix55
macrumors member

I have mine jailbroken with a 2 TB hd plugged in the back with movies, tv shows, and the like that I have ripped.

If it's not jailbroken, I don't really see a reason to keep around the ATV.
jpix55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 06:19 PM   #24
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

hacked atv1 > atv2. both stock ... a draw imo depending on your needs.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2013, 05:18 PM   #25
hand
macrumors newbie

I did this and it's awesome.

http://www.crystalbuntu.com/

Replaced the wifi card with the HD video card. Replaced the HD with an SSD. Downloaded a bunch of XBMC addons. Very cool.
hand is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater