Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:21 AM   #1
3bs
macrumors 603

File won't delete from trash

I never go a day without emptying my trash. Not because I have sensitive files to hide, I just like it that way. But frequently, I get a file that won't get deleted. I try and try and everything gets deleted except one file. It's usually a vide file. I watch a lot of tv shows on my laptop so I'm constantly downloading and deleting them. I try opening my video player and closing it but that doesn't help. I try taking the file out of the trash and putting it back that won't help either. I tried purging but that doesn't help. I don't know what changes but eventually it will get deleted. Yes I can wait for that whenever it happens, but I want to know why and see if I can fix it. Anyone else ever have this happen to them?
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:29 AM   #2
mstrze
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to mstrze
Happens to me at times. I find it will always delete after I go to the Force Quit menu and Restart Finder.

I think somehow these files remain open, in my case, when I have the previews enabled in the 3-column-mode in Finder. It seems that Finder somehow keeps a link or version of the video file open if it shows a preview of the video. As if there is a hidden version of Quicktime that remains running in the background that is directly linked to Finder.

It did this to me in Leopard, SL and currently in Lion.
mstrze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:32 AM   #3
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrze View Post
Happens to me at times. I find it will always delete after I go to the Force Quit menu and Restart Finder.

I think somehow these files remain open, in my case, when I have the previews enabled in the 3-column-mode in Finder. It seems that Finder somehow keeps a link or version of the video file open if it shows a preview of the video. As if there is a hidden version of Quicktime that remains running in the background that is directly linked to Finder.

It did this to me in Leopard, SL and currently in Lion.
Yeah it happened to me in Snow Leopard too but can't remember if it did in Leopard. I just tried re-launching Finder but it still says the file is in use
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:34 AM   #4
mstrze
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to mstrze
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
Yeah it happened to me in Snow Leopard too but can't remember if it did in Leopard. I just tried re-launching Finder but it still says the file is in use
Sorry to hear that. Re-Launching the Finder works for me 100% of the time.

All other Apps closed?
mstrze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a

This happens to me with a few files. Force quit and relaunching Finder didn't work. It always said the file was in use. Finally, I rebooted and was then able to empty the trash.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 01:19 PM   #6
3bs
macrumors 603

Yeah I just restarted and it let me delete it. But I think even that doesn't work all the time
Old Nov 2, 2011, 01:21 PM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash
Solving Trash Problems
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:47 PM   #8
DICKNPHYL
macrumors member

Smile Can't empty.file in trash ?

I have an app. Called "onyx" download it free. Google it. It has never failed me in 3-4 years to remove anything from the trash !!!!!!! the app has many other very useful facets you can use. I t really is great !!
DICKSTER-----
DICKNPHYL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 03:09 PM   #9
xgman
macrumors 68040

sometimes try to hold the opt key down while clicking Empty Trash from the finder menu bar or try secure empty trash also.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion