Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lylemo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
I've merged 2 PDF docs. They have been filed and are no longer on the desktop. However, I am left with a single generic PDF icon on my desktop. The icon shows the Preview picture with letters PDF below the picture, and right upper corner is folded down. The name below the icon is the name of one of the 2 PDF docs that I had merged (e.g., xxxx.pdf). If I highlight the icon and try to Get Info, nothing happens. I can't Open the item. I can't move it anywhere else on my desktop; it's "frozen" in place. When I try to drag it to Trash, or Move to Trash, I get a message window with the Finder icon: "The item xxxx.pdf can't be moved to Trash because it can't be deleted". Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

natd1993

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Great Britain
I've merged 2 PDF docs. They have been filed and are no longer on the desktop. However, I am left with a single generic PDF icon on my desktop. The icon shows the Preview picture with letters PDF below the picture, and right upper corner is folded down. The name below the icon is the name of one of the 2 PDF docs that I had merged (e.g., xxxx.pdf). If I highlight the icon and try to Get Info, nothing happens. I can't Open the item. I can't move it anywhere else on my desktop; it's "frozen" in place. When I try to drag it to Trash, or Move to Trash, I get a message window with the Finder icon: "The item xxxx.pdf can't be moved to Trash because it can't be deleted". Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

Try going to >Force Quit...>Finder>Relaunch. Lion seems to have a problem with its icons, both on the desktop and on the dock. They sometimes freeze in place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.