Restore from backup after setting up as "new phone" - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Nov 3, 2011, 08:16 PM   #1
iPegboy
macrumors regular

Restore from backup after setting up as "new phone"

So my IT department set up my phone as a "new phone" when it came before telling me it arrived. I was planning on simply setting it up from the backup of my 3Gs.

Is this still possible? I've connected to iTunes, and it simply wants to add my apps and music as if it was the first time I've had a phone.

When I clicked to "restore," it starts downloading iOS5 (it's a 4s and already has iOS5 on it). When the download is done, will it give me the option to restore from an older phone? Am I screwed? (I don't want to sit through an hour OS update for nothing)..

Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 08:18 PM   #2
kage207
macrumors 6502a

Did they do anything to your phone like setting up a corporate email?

You can just sync everything back across like it is a new phone OR you can right click on the iPhone (underneath Devices) in iTunes and click restore from backup.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Intell
macrumors P6

It will still give you the option to restore from a backup. You can also right click on your iPhone in the left hand column and select "Restore from Backup". That will restore your iPhone from a backup without having to redownload iOS.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 08:25 PM   #4
iPegboy
macrumors regular

Kage: Yes, they set up the corporate email. However, it was on my old phone as well, so if I restored from that backup, it wouldn't be an issue.

I'm on a mac, with a single button. No right click, and clicking while holding command, option or control doesn't allow me to pop up a restore from backup. I guess I'll let the OS redownload, and hopefully it gives me the option to update from backup from there.

Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 08:26 PM   #5
kage207
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPegboy View Post
Kage: Yes, they set up the corporate email. However, it was on my old phone as well, so if I restored from that backup, it wouldn't be an issue.

I'm on a mac, with a single button. No right click, and clicking while holding command, option or control doesn't allow me to pop up a restore from backup. I guess I'll let the OS redownload, and hopefully it gives me the option to update from backup from there.

Thanks for the help!
Wooooo!!! HOLD IT! Read my edit here in a second.

EDIT: Listen the thing with iPhones and corporations is a tricky one. I know for fact you cannot remove contacts from a corporate iPhone. Is it a corporate email that uses Exchange?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 08:28 PM   #6
iPegboy
macrumors regular

I unplugged, and plugged back in. Click and control did the trick. Restoring from backup.

Lots of thanks guys!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting