Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
Anyone know if it's possible to have multiple profiles in Google Chrome, i.e. one profile with Lastpass/Xmarks, another with Lastpass/Xmarks and a whole load of other stuff? I've noticed that Chrome can be a serious battery drain if you run a whole bunch of extensions so it would be nice to get this under control somewhat.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=179236

Google said:
For Mac:

Open AppleScript Script Editor (either in Applications/Utilities or Applications/AppleScript)
Enter this: do shell script "/Applications/Google\\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\\ Chrome --user-data-dir=/Users/$USER/Library/Application\\ Support/Google/ChromePersonal > /dev/null 2>&1 &"
If you did not install Google Chrome in the default location, modify the script as appropriate.
Save the script in your Applications directory with the file format Application.
Close the Script Editor and find your newly created application and run it. Running this application will open another Google Chrome instance pointing to your new profile.
* If you want this application to have the same icon as Google Chrome:

Select the Chrome application and type apple+i to open the information dialogue box.
Select the icon at the top-left of the information dialogue box (you will see a blue highlight around the icon), then copy the icon using apple+c.
Open the information dialogue box for the new script application using apple+i. Select the icon at the top left and paste the copied icon using apple+v.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.